Why. Misused punctuation seems to be a trend?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
AmigoJack

Re: Why. Misused punctuation seems to be a trend?

Post by AmigoJack »

warmweer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:21 amAym not worit a bowe tit. In gli shis eezi.
Wow - I fully understood this.

But before he who deletes all posts not discussing the actual topic comes please leave the old issue of their vs. there vs. they're alone and concentrate on punctuation. I also don't mean repetitions, such as using the same sentence just said and literally question it. I mean occurances such as "Is this okay." and "The manual says it's fine?" - missing punctuation (no commas, no dots, no colons, nothing) is yet another topic.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm
warmweer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:21 amAym not worit a bowe tit. In gli shis eezi.
Anyone could but out of debate. :) :ugeek:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm
Never doubted it!

I posted this because it shows that with a bit of good will (and some concentration) even the worst writing can be understood.
But it doesn't at all imply that I don't care about correct English (or any language for that matter).
Most errors can be found and corrected with some rereading before submitting (or editing after submission) but nowadays everything has to be fast and and so-called "efficient" and there's even a tendency in the educational system to not penalise language errors in non-language subjects.There's even a directive that the instructor should read what is written as it was intended content-wise. Jeezes, in a couple of years 2+2 = 5 will be marked as correct because the student intended to write 4 instead of 5.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm But before he who deletes all posts not discussing the actual topic comes
Not sure where you're going with this, but if you have an issue with a team member's actions in a topic, the respective team leader will always welcome a PM. ;)

I personally see no problem with warmweer's post.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm Wow - I fully understood this.
The mind is an amazing thing. It doesn't just process what you see but anticipates it. As far as words goes it's anticipating what the word is so you can easily read entire paragraphs of misspelled words. Vocabulary and reading comprehension will play a factor in your ability to do this.

Video/animation is another great example. your eyes send an enormous amount of information to the brain but it only processes what would be equivalent to about 120FPS. The rest is discarded so the brain is not overwhelmed, it fills in the blanks for what is expected.

:roll:

The eyes moving from one position to another is smooth because the brain fills in what it expects to see between frames, you are seeing something that is not there. If you slow it down at some point the brain will stop adding the transition between frames. This is fundamental to what magicians exploit, they can make you see something that didn't happen. If your brain didn't do this TV/Video would not work.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

thecoalman wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 am As far as words goes it's anticipating what the word is so you can easily read entire paragraphs of misspelled words.
You can get the same effect by missing out vowels from words - I used to do it a lot when taking notes
Holger

Post by Holger »

Woah, woah, woah, this is a topic that has been annoying me for YEARS!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Holger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am Woah, woah, woah, this is a topic that has been annoying me for YEARS!
My, my, how time flies ;-)
Topic started: Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 am
Holger

Post by Holger »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:01 am
Holger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am Woah, woah, woah, this is a topic that has been annoying me for YEARS!
My, my, how time flies ;-)
Topic started: Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 am
:lol: Dammit!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Holger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 amWoah, woah, woah
It's whoa, as in wheat. You wouldn't want to eat weaht.
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

Admittedly, I'm liable to accidentally doing that sometimes, as I'm used to always using periods, though I try to maintain good grammar. With that being said, grammar isn't really valued on the internet. If they can get their point across, that's all that seems to matter.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is the other side of the coin for that. A poster on another forum I was also a member of had exquisite mastery of English grammar and vocabulary but it never had any point. It was absolutely amazing how he could string together all these beautifully written sentences with no substance. It was the weirdest thing.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

david63

Post by david63 »

Random American wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm grammar isn't really valued on the internet. If they can get their point across, that's all that seems to matter.
One thing that has to be born in mind where the Internet is concerned is that in most cases we do not know the person at the other end nor what possible handicaps they may have
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

To add to that David spelling and grammar aren't everything. I have one poster on my forum who's in his late 80's or even 90's. His grammar and spelling are difficult to read but the knowledge is irreplaceable. I'd rather have 1 of him over 100 clueless posters with good spelling and grammar.

Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

david63 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:10 pm
Random American wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm grammar isn't really valued on the internet. If they can get their point across, that's all that seems to matter.
One thing that has to be born in mind where the Internet is concerned is that in most cases we do not know the person at the other end nor what possible handicaps they may have
I'm hardly being ableist, as I'm not going to make judgements over bad grammar. I'm just saying, it really isn't valued on certain parts of the internet, especially on sites that have users who use text speak.

Return to “General Discussion”