R.I.P. FluxBB

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
php-BB-Is-Awesome

R.I.P. FluxBB

Post by php-BB-Is-Awesome »

FluxBB was a fork of PunBB created by its developers after Andersson left the project in April 2008. The developers felt that forking was necessary to maintain control over the development process without the influence of commercial interests. As with PunBB, it is released under the GNU General Public License. In July 2008, FluxBB was announced as a finalist in SourceForge.net's 2008 Community Choice Awards in the "Best New Project" category.

Originally a continuation of PunBB's 1.3 branch, it was announced in January 2009 that the then-current 1.3 branch would be discontinued and that FluxBB 1.4 would revert to being based on the 1.2 codebase. For FluxBB 1.4, several features were backported from 1.3, including UTF-8 support, a new default theme, and the ability to split and merge posts. The extension system, however, was not included. FluxBB 1.5 was released in May 2012.

In July 2012, it was announced that FluxBB 2.0, the next major version of the software, would be based on the Laravel PHP framework, with existing work ported to the new framework.

In 2015, FluxBB's lead developer Franz announced they would merge the project with another forum software named "Flarum" alongside esoTalk lead developer Toby Zerner. This caused a brief uproar in the FluxBB community and led to several forks of the FluxBB code. The most recent active continuation of FluxBB was conducted by a community member known as MioVisman, who continued to maintain and update the code throughout the years, publishing unofficial releases of FluxBB with his latest release (February 2021), making FluxBB PHP 8 compatible (https://github.com/MioVisman/FluxBB_by_Visman/releases). On May 31, 2021, it was discovered the official FluxBB dot com (FluxBB.com) website was offline, and as of this writing (June 9, 2021), it remains offline and the domain itself is set to expire, April 26, 2022.

If you were a FluxBB user, welcome to phpBB. 8-)
JesusGod-Pope666
I've Been Banned!

Re: R.I.P. FluxBB

Post by JesusGod-Pope666 »

Yea it was sad to see they never fixed it for mobile really, there was some variations and all that was worked out for it but it would have been nice to see the official FluxBB actually support mobile. Still the forum is used some places and seemingly also with mobile ready on. Would be interesting to try the last version you posted but I guess the problem is that the community in itself is pretty dead now compared to phpBB. You have bigger groups like bunsenlabs and the Arch Linux still using it.

FluxBB was my first choice long ago but I could not get it to work as I wanted on mobile... So was looking around finding SMF yet that was not mobile ready either then Elkarte and of cause phpBB. I really haven't gone any further on things - never got to choose anything and thereby I never got a working forum up and running beside testing them.

I still want one, and now looking at phpBB again for a possibility. I think the SMF and Elkarte community might be too hostile for me overall - so I'm thinking on phpBB again, they seem to have a somewhat softer community overall and that I thought was really the strength of phpBB while testing things some time ago.

I wonder if I can just make a sticky bar at the top, fitting my homepage overall. Then guess it should not be that difficult overall to get up and running. Anyway... I really did like FluxBB for sure, my first choice I wanted to install and run, it was simple and quick forum but sadly they crashed it overall. It has to work good on mobile, that is an absolute in our days where mobiles are used by so many.

- Darkijah

Return to “General Discussion”