Stopping with PHPBB forum and going to a different forum hosting platform

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
R_Ocelot

Stopping with PHPBB forum and going to a different forum hosting platform

Post by R_Ocelot »

Hi, I’ve been searching the forum for an answer but wasn’t able to find any. As for the place to post this topic, I think this is the place to do so since it’s not really related to PHPBB forum support questions. Should I be wrong I’d appreciate hearing where to post this topic.

I took over the PHPBBforum administrator role several years ago on the condition I would get support from the previous administrator, however that has changed during COVID19 and now I’m all alone. Since I don’t have the necessary knowledge and skills to handle this task alone it has been decided to migrate to a yet to be determined webhost with forum hosting and support to be handled by the new web hosting company.

The question is the information posted in the forum:
1 - Where is it saved at the webhost? I’m assuming it’s in a folder, but which ones?
2 - Also how should I go about to ensure nothing is lost when transferring all this data? Can I trust the new web hosting company will help
3 - Where my questions clear enough or was I coming across as a blabbering idiot? Either way I look forward to your guidance.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Stopping with PHPBB forum and going to a different forum hosting platform

Post by KevC »

1. The forum is in 2 parts. ~The files (which control how it works and what it looks like) and the database which is all of the users, posts and settings. If you want to move you will definitely need the database and you may or may not need the files depending on whether the board has a lot of custom modifications. The files will be accessible through FTP or the hosting file manage and will all be in one folder. The database is accessible through phpmyadmin or can be saved in the admin panel. More info below.
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain

2. Don't delete the existing board until you know the new one is working. Some will handle the whole thing for you for a price. Others won't touch it. If they are already offering to do it then it should be done correctly.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

R_Ocelot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm The question is the information posted in the forum:
1 - Where is it saved at the webhost? I’m assuming it’s in a folder, but which ones?
2 - Also how should I go about to ensure nothing is lost when transferring all this data? Can I trust the new web hosting company will help
3 - Where my questions clear enough or was I coming across as a blabbering idiot? Either way I look forward to your guidance.
  1. the files are in a directory somewhere on the host, probably in /public_html or /htdocs or /www. You should be able to see that using the host control panel or FTP. But there also the database which is the most important part. A backup of the database can be made using the ACP, that is saved in /store so you could FTP that to your PC
  2. Basically that's your responsibility although some webhosts do offer help with the transfer (what that entails: I haven't a clue but if something goes wrong they won't take responsibility)
  3. yes and yes ;-)

An important remark: webhosts will usually not update your board unless you use the webhost's webinstaller (Installatron or something similar) in which case you can't really expect support from phpBB.com as webhost installations are in many case modified and can sometimes not be updated/graded following phpBB procedures.

Actually updating or upgrading a board isn't difficult at all
david63

Post by david63 »

R_Ocelot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm it has been decided to migrate to a yet to be determined webhost with forum hosting and support to be handled by the new web hosting company.
Personally I would be very wary of any host that offers support for any application and you would need to know exactly what support they will offer. Also bear in mind that such support will probably be expensive and when the one person that understands the application leaves the hosting company then you will get, at best, minimal support and at worst no support.

Hosting companies do not normally provide application support - it is not the business that they are in.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

There is hosts that specialize in supporting some web application like Wordpress but I'm not sure about phpBB. Basic hosting packages do not include support for web applications and ones that do aren't going to be cheap especially if you have customized styles, extensions etc. Each customers installation would need to be treated on individual basis. Be wary of what you are purchasing.

Check the signatures here of staff and long time members. Many provide paid support and you can contact them about paid support if they have it in their signature, they are very familiar with phpBB and it might be better path .... and no I don't do this myself.

There is also the wanted section: viewforum.php?f=656

Be aware we do not monitor people offering services there, buyer beware.
2 - Also how should I go about to ensure nothing is lost when transferring all this data?
The easiest thing to do is buy one month on new host. Maintain your current plan with existing host. Once the forum is set up on new host you (or whoever) will change the DNS entries to point to new host. If you need data or something is missing all your files and data still exist on old host. Worse case if you decide this was very poor decision and new host sucks you can switch DNS back to old host, you are back where you started. ;)

Once everything is straightened out and if you are satisfied with new host cancel plan on old host. As side note domain registration is typically included with hosting plan but it really should be on separate plan provided by some other company. Specifically for cases like this and other reasons, domain registration with decent registrar is only about $15 annually.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
R_Ocelot

Post by R_Ocelot »

Apologies for the late reaction, it took some time to organize and summarize the answers given.

So to summarize the replies I’ve gotten so far:
1 - the files (containing the controls, the inner workings and the looks of the forum) are in one of the following directories: /public_html, /htdocs or /www. Which of those it is can be determined using the host control panel or FTP. And the files are accessible through FTP or hosting file manager.
However the database has all of the users, posts and settings which is the most important; which can be backupped via ACP
2 - The responsibility of the transfer lies with me when I go to another webhost so if something goes wrong it’ll still be on my head. Which makes me wonder: “How great are the chances of things going wrong during the migration process?
So it might be better to search for an all-in-one provider and after migration run both in tandem for a certain period until it’s clear everything works like it should. This does begs the question how long should this be ‘tested’? Is the best practice to follow the advice of the following post?:
The easiest thing to do is buy one month on new host. Maintain your current plan with existing host. Once the forum is set up on new host you (or whoever) will change the DNS entries to point to new host. If you need data or something is missing all your files and data still exist on old host. Worse case if you decide this was very poor decision and new host sucks you can switch DNS back to old host, you are back where you started. ;)

Once everything is straightened out and if you are satisfied with new host cancel plan on old host. As side note domain registration is typically included with hosting plan but it really should be on separate plan provided by some other company. Specifically for cases like this and other reasons, domain registration with decent registrar is only about $15 annually.
Would it indeed be better to split domain registration from the hosting plan under a separate plan provided by another company than the hosting company (which was in a side note in the post above)?
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

R_Ocelot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:34 pm Would it indeed be better to split domain registration from the hosting plan under a separate plan provided by another company than the hosting company (which was in a side note in the post above)?
It's always good practice to keep them separate. Generally speaking most people never change registrars because of complaints about the service. On the other hand hosting complaints are quite common. Let's suppose you have billing dispute with hosting provider, you could lose the ability to move until the bill is paid or the dispute is resolved. Another common problem is two eggs in one basket. Overcoming an issue with your domain registration service is not that easy but if it's a hosting issue because your host has an outage you are in complete control.

The only downside to separating them is you need to track two bills instead of one and it may cost you a few bucks each year.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
R_Ocelot

Post by R_Ocelot »

Thank you all for your time and explanations. Is it safe to say everything that needs to be careful off has been said and my summary is complete? If so, I’ll get to work on those points and discuss them with the board.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can always stay where you are and if you get in to difficulties ask your questions in our support forums. There’s also tons of information on this site available via search, there aren’t many questions asked about the day to day running of a phpBB board that hasn’t already been asked. There is usually someone around to help you.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”