BEWARE!! OAP drivers licence renewal scam UK

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: BEWARE!! OAP drivers licence renewal scam UK

Post by Mick »

I’m not certain how long this service has been available in the UK but you can report any fraudulent, spam or phishing texts to your network operator. To report a spam text forward it to 7726.
ofcom.org.uk wrote:You may get an automated response thanking you for the report and giving you further instructions if needed. You will not be charged for sending texts to 7726.

An easy way to remember ‘7726' is that they are the numbers on your telephone keypad that spell out the word ‘SPAM'.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I had a pretty pathetic attempt in a text message the other day. It said:

Frm:State Office(IL) Regarding Your DL.Fill form carefully:
Then it had a URL to a generic forms website.

I have never heard the DMV or SoS called the "State Office", and they couldnt be bothered to spell out "Driver's License".
david63

Post by david63 »

Brf wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:07 pm nd they couldnt be bothered to spell out "Driver's License".
Probably because they could not spell it :lol:
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Boy, and for me "DL" means "download" for decades already...
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:29 pm Boy, and for me "DL" means "download" for decades already...
Indeed. I had to stare at it a few minutes to figure out what it was trying to scam.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Brf wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:07 pm I have never heard the DMV or SoS called the "State Office",
Probably some boilerplate intended for US resident, the IL would be the abbreviation for Illinois. Drivers licenses in the US are issued by individual states. There is no US Drivers license. DL is also common abbreviation for drivers license.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:18 am boilerplate
Indeed. It is also how I immediately knew it was fake. "State Office" is not a term used here in Illinois. We would always use SoS or DMV -- never something like "State Office". I have never seen "DL" used by the SoS either. It is always always spelled out: Driver's License.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Haha, these idiots never give up, I got this junk via email yesterday:
Dear Customer,

Your Applе ID has been locked, We have taken this precautions to protect our members while we ensure that such activity does not cause harm - however unintentional - to the Applе community. when locked, you will not be able to use the App store and iTunes store. If you want to Applеal this action, we need to verify your account information and activity directly with you.

Verify your account >

If you have any questions about this message, please click the link above.

We send this mandatory email service announcement to notify you of important changes to your account.

Applе S<>up<>p<>ort
You’d think they’d get their grammar and punctuation sorted out, it’s laughable really.

It came from a bunk @live.com email address.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

I find that type of email amusing, mainly because I do not have an Apple ID!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I get them from Google play now and again and I’ve never had an android phone or pad in my life :D
Applеal
made me chuckle.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

Mick wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:03 pm You’d think they’d get their grammar and punctuation sorted out, it’s laughable really.
I remember reading an article that said bad grammar is purposely left on many scams because the people who don't notice it are the ones likely to fall for the scam.

There was also something about it being used to draw in unsuspecting helpful peolple to click on any links in the email just to tell the sender they made a spelling mistake.

I just assume it is foreigners using Googles translate but scammers will try anything so nothing surprises me.

I thought I had won the Post Code Lottery in 2019 and it wasn't until I was down the Post Office asking the cashier if I could collect the money there rather than phoning the long number on the card that we realised I didn't even play the Post Code Lottery.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I never understood how one can even lose track of all the lotteries having participated at, let alone do so many. Must be the same type of people that cannot find their own stuff at their own home...

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:03 pm Haha, these idiots never give up, I got this junk via email yesterday:
They obviously get someone that clicks, calls or whatever. Stands to reason someone will fall for it. Just looked it up and the first result suggests about 120 billion spam emails per day. It might take them a few million emails to get one victim but what do they care since they are typically using other peoples resources to send them.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

If you live in the UK make use of the Government agency specifically set up to deal with scammers and shut down their operations.
I have [email protected] in my email clients so only takes a moment or two to forward all such emails.
Don't include any text of your own - simply forward to that address.
I get at least a couple of scam emails every week plus an even greater number of scam attempts via msm and landline.

Whilst a lot are blatant scam attempts they are becoming increasingly more sophisticated and if just 1 in 1000 falls for it then they are "quids in".

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

GTI wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:05 pmThere was also something about it being used to draw in unsuspecting helpful peolple to click on any links in the email just to tell the sender they made a spelling mistake
That may be but it sounds like much harder work than creating an email adress or website mimicking the original. Personally, if I get a email or msg from my bank or wherever where there were glareing mistakes in the text it would gets trashed.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”