Microsoft unveils Windows 11

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Microsoft unveils Windows 11

Post by Meis2M »

Microsoft has unveiled Windows 11, its "next generation" operating system, at a virtual event.

The new software will let Android apps run on the Windows desktop.

Product manager Panos Panay promised smaller, faster security updates - a common complaint for Windows users - and said they would happen in the background.

Windows 11 will also let users configure multiple desktops for work, home, and gaming, like on a Mac.

Windows 11 will be available as a free update to existing Windows 10 users - although some devices will not have the right specifications. These include a minimum of 64 gigabytes of storage and 4 gigabytes of RAM.

In addition, Windows 11 will feature tighter integration with Microsoft's communications platform Teams. Xbox Games Pass, a subscription service offering access to hundreds of games, will also be pre-installed.

"Windows 11 is an iterative release that pinpoints where Windows needs greater ambition, rather than introducing the sweeping changes seen with its predecessor," he said.

"The end game for Microsoft is ensuring that the step up from Windows 10 to Windows 11 provides significant enough improvements to offset any complaints."

"They're great for continuity of experience, but they make you wonder what the 11 really stands for.

Is this really more of an admittedly feature-rich Windows 10 update than a full-version release?"

more information:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... indows-11/
phpBB persian international support
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM
Ultimate phpBB SEO Friendly URL extension
david63

Re: Microsoft unveils Windows 11

Post by david63 »

From what I have read it should be called Windows 10.1 as it is basically a feature release - there is very little core rewrite in it.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You’ve got centred Android type menus now, surely that’s enough for an upgrade? :D

I’ve already backed up my C:\ drive just in case I have a fit of madness or one too many and go for it.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

I'm using the Win 10 developer version, and it seems pretty close to what Win 11 is going to look like.
Very nice new icons, also seems a bit faster... Looks pretty clean.

screenshot-2021-16-46-54.jpg
screenshot-2021-16-47-12.jpg
screenshot-2021-16-47-20.jpg
screenshot-2021-16-47-50.jpg
screenshot-2021-16-48-17.jpg
screenshot-2021-16-48-45.jpg
EA117

Post by EA117 »

@david63, it probably feels that way because it actually was that way. When Microsoft finally made the commitment to not ship Windows 10X (which had radically different hardware requirement/focus), I think it left them in a "well, what do we excite people with?" situation. And what we ended up with "out of the blue" is the name Windows 11, which is actually the in-progress builds of the next Windows 10 update that was already being worked on, but with the UI replacement that had been done on Windows 10X.

The main "if you're running Windows 10 now, you might not be able to run Windows 11 due to hardware requirements" situation I see is their intention to drop support for non-UEFI BIOS machines. Most folks will already meet RAM and storage requirements, or easily could with minor upgrades; but if your machine is old enough to be non-UEFI, only a replacement machine or motherboard gets you there. Windows 11 pre-release builds continue to run on non-qualifying machines for now, but the stated intention is this won't be possible in the shipping product targeted for release around the end of 2021.

@SpIdErPiGgY I think we're expecting something much more significant than this. Indeed, some of the Fluent icon updates had been happening in the post-21H1 Windows 10 builds, but I believe we're still awaiting a full UI drop that will occur once Windows 11 builds actually begin flighting in Insider Preview. The announcements this week say the Windows 11 builds hit Insider Preview "next week", so we'll see.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Introducing Windows 11 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... s-11#check

Check for compatibility https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp (from the same page and for your convenience)

2021-06-25 20_05_30-.png
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

I've found some more details here, like Android Apps can be used in Win11 etc:
https://www.howtogeek.com/737031/window ... ts-new-os/
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

SpIdErPiGgY wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:48 pm I'm using the Win 10 developer version, and it seems pretty close to what Win 11 is going to look like.
I played with it in a virtual machine, though I don't think it's a good idea to put it on my main computer. I don't like how only the Professional version supports offline accounts.
david63

Post by david63 »

Random American wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm I don't like how only the Professional version supports offline accounts.
Upgrade route - at a price?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If I recall, the cost difference between the Pro version of Windows 7 to the Home Premium version wasn’t that much, I actually bought it so it must have been VFM. I believe you can only get the free upgrade from 8.1 upwards but that and 10 are available quite cheap if you’ve got some spare cash.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

david63 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Random American wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm I don't like how only the Professional version supports offline accounts.
Upgrade route - at a price?
I don't have an offline account, but it's still not something done in good taste on Microsoft's part.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

Mick windows 7 & 8 keys still work in 10 so one could use one of those to upgrade to 10 then to 11 for free
my asus rog g15cs came with 10 home and i used the 10 pro generic key to switch to pro and somehow my original key has activated pro
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

That’s interesting because I’ve read in several different places that Win 8 users will have to update to 8.1 before they can upgrade to 11. There will no doubt be instructions once the upgrade arrives.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

Mick wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:12 pm There will no doubt be instructions once the upgrade arrives.
And 1001 ways to hack around whatever Microsoft put in place
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Indeed and MS don’t seem to be as strict as they used to be, I mean, free upgrades? It was unheard of back in the day.

Edit: I’ve just read there is a long list of processors that won’t be supported in Win 11.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “General Discussion”