What type of music do you like?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Always interesting to see what music others like. I grew up in the 80's as a teenager when the hair bands were popular. There isn't a whole lot of bands I listened to then that have survived the test of time. Most have slipped into oblivion. I do have a wide range of music interests, everything from the Beatles to Metallica.

The one band I enjoy the most however is Rush, I wasn't a real big fan until I saw them in concert. If you are unfamiliar with them they are a band's band. You'd have to live under a rock to not have heard Tom Sawyer but that is just the tip of the iceberg, they never had major mainstream success but they did manage to consistently sell out arenas and stadiums for 40 years. :)

The following clip is the opening for their 30th anniversary tour. The beginning is an amalgamation of the instrumental parts from many songs through the years. It would be hard not to be impressed. The enormous drum kit is not for show, he uses the whole kit. It's actually two kits, the platform he is on spins and he'll switch between them during the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Re: What type of music do you like?

Post by Prosk8er »

was born in the mid 80's started out listening to rock like green day and hip hop from 90's to early 2000's
enjoy pink floyd and the doors
now listen to rock, hip hop, and older techno like sandstorm
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Prosk8er wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:46 pm enjoy pink floyd
You may not of heard this one if you are just listening to popular albums, it's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

How much time do you have? ;-)

Just about every kind of Jazz, with a preference for LatinJazz, BrasilJazz, GipsyJazz , FlamencoJazz and Jazz in general (but absolutely not Freejazz). I also like Latin in general but not the current commercial stuff. I usually like the older regional specialities like good ol' reggae, calypso, spouge and cadence (French speaking Caribbean islands). You can put on some Soukous, Kwassa Kwassa, Congolese Rumba, Township Jive or Mbaqanga, Highlife, even Raï any day (but not the current commercial stuff). Balkan music? of course. Indian music, yep but again, the old stuff not the current commercial sh*t. I'm probably forgetting many styles (yep - Irish and Scottisch folk, Fado and medieval music). Oops Classical music too.
The main thing is that it should cause some pleasant emotions or tristesse (but not the anguish cause by the computer designed music "composed" and "played" by experts at turning knobs and pressing play sample buttons).

I could give examples, enough to fill the phpBB forums, but I'ld probably be banned within the hour so I'll limit the number of examples to 1 (this is live so it adds another bit of spice to the main course).

Poncho Sanchez - Besame Mama (relatively simple conga-solo but the phrasing and timing is exceptional).

Added: yep, I can play that but nobody would would stop and listen ;-).
SpIdErPiGgY
Name: Andy Dm

Post by SpIdErPiGgY »

Wednesday 13
Rammstein
Marilyn Manson
Muderdolls
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Guns n Roses
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Pantera
... should I go on? :lol:

Tattoos (1).jpg
Tattoos (2).jpg
Tattoos (3).jpg
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

SpIdErPiGgY wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:29 pm AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Guns n Roses
Metallica
I've seen them all in concert. AC/DC and Black Sabbath within the last decade. The AC/DC show was one of the last ones they put on, it was at the Meadowlands near NYC.The Black Sabbath show was all original except the drummer, they were dead on and it was unbelievably good. Probably the most interesting one was the GN'R show because it was before they hit it really big, It was in '87 and they were the opening act for Aerosmith. The first Metallic show I saw was around 88 for the and Justice for all tour.

I haven't seen a lot of concerts but the ones I have seen have been pretty good ones. I did have ticktes for the Eagles once but gave them away tp someone that just got back from Iraq. I also had an opportunity to see Pink Floyd in the mid 90's at Veterans stadium in Philly I didn't take. Just to see the giant disco ball pop up out of the middle stadium would of been worth the trip. :lol:

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 pm Poncho Sanchez - Besame Mama (relatively simple conga-solo but the phrasing and timing is exceptional).

Added: yep, I can play that but nobody would would stop and listen ;-).
I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to that but I can listen to it.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Some rock but it has to be quality with class guitarists but these days generally house and dance music (not drum & bass!) although my knees no longer work well enough for raving any more :D Working for an international DJ and computer music programming software got me in to house.

I pretty much missed the whole of the ‘70’s music wise as I was working overseas in a regime that wasn’t very tolerant of ‘foreign’ popular music + poor radio coverage and no TV. The only insight I had was my sister used to send me tapes of the BBC’s ‘Top of the Pops’ occasionally and the odd smuggled LP or tape.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I like good music. Its as simple as that. Of course my good music is not necessarily your good music.

OK you want more specifics. Almost everything from Gregorian Chant (and earlier) to current chart. Its easier to say what I don't like. Reggae, 'old' country, rap, thrash rock and really heavy metal.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Curious HiFiKabin, did you check out the Rush clip? I defy you not to be impressed. :P

The vocals are not the best, most people either love his voice or hate it plus he's up in age. It is what it is, there is no "auto tune" or other computerized fixes.

Typically they are classified as Progressive rock but the reality is they are their own genre.

GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

Scooter, Sash, Calvin Harris, Aviici, Ultrabeat, Mike Oldfield, Karel Fialka to name a few favourites.
tahoebuff
Name: Michael

Post by tahoebuff »

thecoalman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:46 am

The one band I enjoy the most however is Rush, I wasn't a real big fan until I saw them in concert. If you are unfamiliar with them they are a band's band. You'd have to live under a rock to not have heard Tom Sawyer but that is just the tip of the iceberg, they never had major mainstream success but they did manage to consistently sell out arenas and stadiums for 40 years. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
Thanks for sharing the video. Brought back many memories. I saw Rush twice back in the day. RIP Neil Peart, one of the greatest drummers ever.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

tahoebuff wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 pm I saw Rush twice back in the day. RIP Neil Peart, one of the greatest drummers ever.
The ones I saw were later on, early and late 90's.

tahoebuff
Name: Michael

Post by tahoebuff »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:48 am
tahoebuff wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 pm I saw Rush twice back in the day. RIP Neil Peart, one of the greatest drummers ever.
The ones I saw were later on, early and late 90's.
I’m thinking I saw them in 79’? They were touring with Pat Travers. I believe the other time I saw them was with Gamma. I must have been 3 years old when I saw them :P
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Rock, Pop, Soul, Funk, RNB and so on ...:
2CELLOS - Thunderstruck
AC/DC
BAP
BLACK SABBATH
KRAFTWERK

Alphaville
America
Bryan Adams
Barclay James Harvest (live in Berlin)
Bee Gees (live in Berlin)
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Canned Heat - On The Road Again
City - Am Fenster
Eric Clapton
Phil Collins - - Drums, Drums … (live in Berlin)
David Bowie (live in Berlin)
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (live in Berlin)
Dire Straits
Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Falco
Genesis (live in Berlin)
Ken Hensley - Lady in Black
Whitney Houston (live in Berlin)
Michael Jackson (live in Berlin)
Mark Knopfler
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin – Kashmir
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
Maze (live in Berlin)
Maze – Twilight
Metallica
George Michael - Killer - Papa was a rolling stone
Pink Floyd
Prince
Eros Ramazzotti
Rammstein (live in Berlin)

Rammstein - Engel (Symphonic cover version by Prime Orchestra with children's choir)

Sade (live in Berlin)
Schiller
Scorpions
Status Quo
Sting
Supermax
Talking Heads
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
The Rolling Stones
Unheilig
Barry White (live in Berlin)
ZZ Top - La Grange

and much more ...

José Carreras
Plácido Domingo
Luciano Pavarotti

The list seems endless ...

And the best thing I ever heard experienced, - ... ;)
Mike Oldfield
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells
Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells III Live London

Edit: ;)
====
Hamburg Singt - Größter Flashmob Deutschlands (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WILvbFxKh8

SWR1 RP Hitparade 2017 - Flashmob Stairway to Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CznVWQTf04E
====

Greetings

Return to “General Discussion”