About Euro 2020 ⚽ final

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: About Euro 2020 ⚽ final

Post by Mick »

timeforhelp1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 amAnd the Italian Ultras have taken up tiddlewinks now yes?
Bravo👍🏽

And that goes for all the football ‘firms’ which most, if not all, clubs in the world have. The unruly English element (of which there weren’t many) are getting a lot of blame here but all I can say is “let he without sin cast the first stone”.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

To follow that path:
I‘m proud to be an idiot, because there are many more in the world.
Last edited by HaioPaio on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

timeforhelp1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:51 am 3Di, you are incredible on this site and very clever, but you have let yourself down with your post.
If that’s what’s evolved, I’ll understand, cleverly.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

HaioPaio wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am To follow that path:
I‘m proud to be an idot, because there are many more in the world.
I know what an Ipad is, also an Iphone, there's also an Icloud, but what on earth is an Idot? :P (surely it can't be the dot on the :eye:)
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:46 amI know what an Ipad is, also an Iphone, there's also an Icloud
Presumably you mean iPad, iPhone and iCloud? ;)
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am
warmweer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:46 amI know what an Ipad is, also an Iphone, there's also an Icloud
Presumably you mean iPad, iPhone and iCloud? ;)
:eye: was just emphasising the :eye: :P

Back to the Euro2000
The decisions made based on the VAR were sometimes ridiculous. e.g.
- A goal was made but The VAR declares offside, based on a still screen showing the player offside ... BUT ... the ball has already left the foot of the passer (by at least 20 cm). (Granted, perhaps the compromising image wasn't shown on TV but it doesn't inspire much confidence in the sytem)
- The referee whistles penalty - the VAR shows that the attacker wasn't touched by the defender- a clear case of Schwalbe - OK penalty cancelled but no yellow card for the attacker.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

VAR should take some lessons from the cricket DRS system. In cricket the fans are involved during a review, they can hear what the third umpire is saying and see what he sees on the big screen, it’s now part of the game and takes very little time. IMO once VAR is engaged the on-field referee should have no more say in the matter, running to the sideline to look at something he has already made a decision on, or not, is nonsense and time consuming. Rugby League has had a similar system for many years without all the bs there is in football.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:59 am ... without all the bs there is in football.
For the sake of the US visitors here, when Mick writes football, he's referring to soccer (the game with a round ball, not that egg-shaped thing, and the goal has nets, plus: only the keeper is allowed to touch the ball with his (or her) hands when the ball is in play) :lol:
And then there's the offside rule : aaargh what the heck, forget I even mentioned it.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Football uses feet and a ball, handball uses hands and a ball so . . . :D
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

The offsides rule is not that difficult to understand since it's almost the same thing in hockey which is very popular sport in the US. Ironically the majority of NHL players are not US born. You should be glad soccer was never popular in the US as we would of stole all your good players. :P

In US Football automatic challenges may occur in the last two minutes of the game but a coach may challenge a ruling on the field at any time. They have two opportunities to do that, if the challenge fails they lose a timeout. Loss of a timeout can be a pretty big deal in US football. The challenges are a strategic part of the game.

As far as the names go I just looked it up, apparently the US names are derived from British names. The rules of the game changed for "football" but the name didn't.
https://www.profootballhof.com/why-is-t ... -football/

Like the game itself, the word “football” has foreign ancestors. Historians trace American football back to two European cousins, soccer and rugby. Both began as kicking games.

Soccer- the most popular sport in the world – was originally known as “association football.” Newspapers seeking a shorter phrase began to refer to it as “assoc.” That name was soon shortened to “soc” and then grew back a bit to “soccer.”

While rugby also began as a football game, in 1823 something occurred that changed the kicking game forever. A player named William Webb Ellis, instead of kicking the ball over the goal line, picked it up and ran it across. At first, observers didn’t know what to think. Eventually, the agreed it was a good idea. The game was played at the Rugby School and became known as rugby football, later shortened to rugby.

Both soccer-style football and rugby-style football eventually found their way to America. What resulted was an American combination of the two games. It was until much later (1906) that forward passing was allowed. So because the American game was really just another form of the European football games, it too became known as football..
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

thecoalman wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm The offsides rule is not that difficult to understand since it's almost the same thing in hockey which is very popular sport in the US.
I presume you're referring to icehockey and not (field) hockey which has no offside rule (it did have a rule similar to the rule in soccer but that rule was changed a couple of times and eventually removed completely - not sure when but certainly before this century)

The offside rule in icehockey is different.

In football (soccer) a player can be offside but if he doesn't receive the ball, play continues, giving the offending player the time to get out of the offside position. It only comes into effect if the offending player has an influence on the continuation, but that opens up a can of worms. IMHO the offside rule should be totally abolished which would promote faster and more attacking play.

In icehockey, there a designated offensive zone and the puck has to enter that zone before (a coloured line I think, the middle line?) before any attacking player can enter that area.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

The origins of the word/game, its rules and personal experiences are also interesting but do not answer the topic, so I would advise those dedicated to this kind of discussion to open their own topic and not infect this one with topics outside the discussion, thank you.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:56 pmIMHO the offside rule should be totally abolished which would promote faster and more attacking play
Whilst I don’t disagree with you about removing it per se something else needs to go in it’s place. If you look at the history of the offside rule you’ll see why it was introduced. Basically it was to stop sides having two or three ‘goal hangers’ sitting on the oppositions 18 yard line and having defenders hoof the ball up to these ‘goal hangers’ cutting out the midfield, deemed to be a siege mentality. Also, don’t forget in the days when the rule was first applied the onfield formation was different with two full backs (2 & 3) three half backs (4, 5 & 6) and five players on the front row (7, 8, 9, 10 & 11) which was pretty much adhered to until Hungary changed everything. Kids seem to grasp the offside rule ok so I’m not certain why VAR and millions of people struggle with it.

Maybe a subject of discussion for another topic could be about rugby football and it’s off side rule and why to go forwards you have to pass backwards. A contrived and very over complicated game and set of rules IMHO.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 am Maybe a subject of discussion for another topic could be about rugby football and it’s off side rule and why to go forwards you have to pass backwards. A contrived and very over complicated game and set of rules IMHO.
I quite like that system, you see a whole lineup of players moving forward in a organised way. When executed properly it's quite effective an very pleasant to watch (at least to me).

But back to "football" : Aussie rules for a change : no offside rules there ;-)
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

I somewhat disagree,

The Italian Ultras are known for being rough and badass and they don't deny it, they support their team but they don't come across as thinking their team is entitled to winning everything.

The England fans I am referring to make out they are perfectly behaved and are always on their high horse being disgusted at the behaviour of fans from other countries, yet it doesn't take them long to start acting the same way.

Return to “General Discussion”