Windows 11 being adopted slowly

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Deactivated 1950056

Windows 11 being adopted slowly

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/17/ ... indows_11/
Microsoft's Windows 11 adventure is going swimmingly. IT asset management outfit Lansweeper has published the results of a 10 million PC survey that gives the new operating system a 0.21 per cent market share.

That is a good deal less than the 3.62 per cent of Windows XP and a nose ahead of the reviled Windows Vista. It is also not great news as the OS enters its second month of general availability.
While it is true that Windows 11 was not offered to every computer in use today or even to all eligible computers, it appears that Windows 11 is having a hard time getting a foothold in the market.

This is not helped when many workstations are not compatible with it: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows- ... ays-report

Is this operating system more trouble than it's worth? I think it kind of is, as it does feel more like just a reskin with more piggish hardware requirements, but what do you guys think?
david63

Re: Windows 11 being adopted slowly

Post by david63 »

I upgraded my desktop and laptop when it was available and apart from a few cosmetic changes I cannot say that I have noticed any difference to Win10
Deactivated 1950056

david63 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:52 pm I upgraded my desktop and laptop when it was available and apart from a few cosmetic changes I cannot say that I have noticed any difference to Win10
Indeed, but yet has more stringent hardware requirements and some people treated it like the best thing since sliced bread. I don't know if I'm being a hardass or not, but I'm not impressed.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I laugh every time I see the television commercials about Windows 11.
They always show people amazed at the wonderful fast graphics, which has more to do with your video card than your OS.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

I upgraded my personal laptop to Windows 11 and as David stated, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

On the work side of things, only two people in the company are testing the OS, myself and our Accounting manager. I've decided that I'm not going to upgrade anyone until I get them new workstations (we're on 3 year cycles).

The hardware requirements are more than Windows 10, but I don't think they are outrageous.
Most computers built within the last few years are fully capable of running the OS with no problem.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Deactivated 1950056

Kailey wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:07 pm[*] TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module)
Respectfully, I disagree due mainly to the quoted requirement above. While most computers can run it, I have heard of plenty of computers that are not too old that don't have a TPM chip. My father has a computer from 2019 that does not have it.

While I wouldn't call it "outrageous," but it certainly is needless.

I also do not like attempts by Microsoft to make local accounts more difficult to set up, though Windows 10 is certainly not innocent of that either.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

My PC is old and not fit for Win11.
But my PC (and Win10) still runs fine for what I need so the upgrade to Win 11 is something for a future probably 2 or more years away.
What I really need is more diskspace.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

david63 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:52 pm I upgraded my desktop and laptop when it was available and apart from a few cosmetic changes I cannot say that I have noticed any difference to Win10
For example, you can no longer choose where the taskbar is displayed. It is always displayed at the bottom. This is one reason why I will not install Win11 for the time being.
The start menu is now in the middle, it was on the left before.
The widgets have returned.
Multi-window support

My desktop is not old but not supported. Only the notebook is ready for Win11. But as long as I can't display the taskbar on the left, I won't update.
I'm sure some good apps will disappear again with an upgrade. Even with a Win10 update, this sometimes happens.
The sound card driver sent by Windows is incompatible with my desktop. But it automatically reinstalls it with every Win10 update - very annoying.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Tastenplayer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 pm My desktop is not old but not supported.
Tastenplayer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 pm The sound card driver sent by Windows is incompatible with my desktop.
So do not try to update it. Simple.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Random American wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:15 pm I have heard of plenty of computers that are not too old that don't have a TPM chip. My father has a computer from 2019 that does not have it.
They may not have it preinstalled but most recent mobo's are going to be TPM ready. They aren't exactly cheap but they aren't really expensive either.

That requirement is a push to secure hardware from multiple types of attacks. It does a lot of things but probably most importantly for Joe Schmoe easy use of full disk encryption. Dad may not need it...until his computer is stolen.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

Tastenplayer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 pm But as long as I can't display the taskbar on the left, I won't update.
I use the Start11 program to customise the taskbar - it costs about $5 I think. I have been using it since Win10.

It allows you to have the taskbar on the left and many other customisations.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:35 pmWhat I really need is more diskspace
There are 1TB internal drives for under £35 on Amazon - go get ‘em Tiger :)
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Mick wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 am
Yeah... LOL.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

david63 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:10 am
Tastenplayer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 pm But as long as I can't display the taskbar on the left, I won't update.
I use the Start11 program to customise the taskbar - it costs about $5 I think. I have been using it since Win10.

It allows you to have the taskbar on the left and many other customisations.
I agree its a great little program at a bargain price.

However I will not be upgrading to W11 for the foreseeable future. I can not see any advantages (as yet) and the processor on the desktop is not compatible anyway. W10 will be supported until 14-10-25 so theres no rush
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 am
Currently
Bootdrive : 110 GB (40 free)
2nd disk : 660 GB (50 free)
External disks: 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and a 6TB (unfortunately these can't be used as bootdrives).
and a couple of USB sticks ranging from 1G to 64 GB.

A new PC implies a new boot disk :cry:
My Win10 is actually an updated Win8 (and the install CD is long gone).
This implies transferring the old OS (Win10) to a new boot disk (something I haven't done since Vista).

Return to “General Discussion”