A2hosting email limits and larger forums?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
CPTOM

A2hosting email limits and larger forums?

Post by CPTOM »

I just discovered my host 'suspends' my email if the board exceeds 1000 emails a day. I discovered this the hard way after I sent a quick 'mass email' via the ACP. When I asked about the limit, they told me to use an email service like inContact. That's fine, but the forum platform will eventually be sending out over 1000 emails a day on its own as it notifies people of posts, PMs, etc.

So, what am I missing? I have their highest level of shared hosting now. Is shared hosting just too limiting in general, or is this an A2hosting thing? I can look into their dedicated server hosting, but don't want to do that if other (cheap) shared hosting services don't have those kinds of limits.....?
Last edited by thecoalman on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to General Discussion
CPTOM

Re: A2hosting email limits and larger forums?

Post by CPTOM »

Also, is there any way to know how many emails that PHPBB is sending? They don't appear in any 'sent' box, etc....?
skinduptruk

Post by skinduptruk »

CPTOM wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:37 am Also, is there any way to know how many emails that PHPBB is sending? They don't appear in any 'sent' box, etc....?
I had to deal with my web hosting service at this thread here.

At one point they sent me the server's email error log as follows:

Upon investigating, The MTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 421 4.3.2 You are only allowed to send 10 messages without correct FROM address per 4 hours, you current from address is...

So perhaps there is such a thing as an SMTP or MTP "log" you can check. Note in my case, the emails were being blocked, so did not appear in the sent box nor the inbox, but the log still saw them.
david63

Post by david63 »

There is not really a lot that you can do if your host has limits on what you can do. Presumably this limit is on their mail server so your options are, if you need to regularly send emails over the limit, to upgrade your account to one with a higher limit (or no limit at all), change to another host that will allow the number of emails that you need or use a third party emails service. Unfortunately I think that all of these options will result in additional costs.

You could always perform some maintenance on your board and deactivate any non active members - this will result in reducing the number of emails that are being sent out.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Also you can make two or more groups from 800 members and send the groups your mass email on different days.
I can see in my host panel how many mails there are send, but not every host shows that numbers.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

CPTOM wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:23 am I can look into their dedicated server hosting, ....
Dedicated normally implies the entire server, a managed VPS is typically the next step up. It's similar to shared but the big difference is you get guaranteed RAM, CPU's etc. You also have full root access, dedicated IP's and pretty much everything else you would have with dedicated server. Packages usually start around $40/month, it's a significant step up in resources from any shared account.

----edit-----
Just to add the reason for the limit is to prevent compromised script/server from sending out some ridiculous amount of spam.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”