Online gaming

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Online gaming

Post by Kanuck »

So I'm just curious who has jumped onto the Xbox Live bandwagon, and who still plays PC games online.

I'll admit, due to the power of my computer (or lack thereof), I now belong solely to the former group. Despite the lack of power that it gives you, Live seems to be a more seamless online experience; I like that I can play a game without worrying about a server browser, filtering, or having my rear handed to me after logging onto a server meant for people far beyond my level of skill. Live seems to do a pretty good job of matching me up with folks I can compete with; some games better than others, obviously. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I prefer it, and it doesn't break the bank keeping up with technology; a new console every five years or so, I can afford.

Anybody else tried out Xbox Live? Is there anybody who's never even played multiplayer PC games? Any good online experiences waiting to be had with my Athlon Thunderbird/original Radeon system?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

I can't speak much for the gamer, as I no where near qualify. I have virtually no interest in gaming, whether it be PC or console. I've back with the N64, havn't picked it up for over a year. The only game I play on the PC is Battlefield 1942, and possibly StarCraft, and the last time I played was last month.

Yeah, I have no life. :P

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

SNES + Netplay = ZSNES.

<3 zsnes
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
TitanicWarrior

Post by TitanicWarrior »

I play Age of Mythology and Age of EMpires online. When Halo 2 comes out for PC, I will be playing htat online, alot.
WHAT IS MATTER - NEVER MIND
WHAT IS MIND - DOES NOT MATTER

THINK OF THE POOR
Benshee

Post by Benshee »

if you could play World of Warcraft on an XBox THAT would rock :D
But i think your old PC might just as well be able to use it - that is to my mind the best online game ever made :D
www.furryocity.net (Graphical Chat System)
www.dawningrealms.com/board (Board of upcoming Online Game)
Both successfully using phpBB :)
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

I hate XBOX. I hate Gamecube. I hate PS2. I hate consoles. I hate controllers. Therefore, we can conclude that I prefer PC gaming online simply because consoles suck because of the lack of control they offer. K&M forever.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
DanTheTekMan

Post by DanTheTekMan »

WC3 / WC3FT
Half Life + HL Mods...
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Gotta love kill-any-form-of-onine-gaming dialup ¬_¬
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Anon wrote: Gotta love kill-any-form-of-onine-gaming dialup ¬_¬
Hey, there's always chess or checkers.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

I've jumped on the Xbox Live Bandwagon. I think it is awesome! The best online gaming service that I have been a part of (I haven't been part of many, mostly Battle Net though). There's just something about talking instead of typing that makes it more fun to play. I haven't played for a while, I need to.

Warcraft 2 is the PC Game that I have played the most online (not counting Hearts, Chess, and other games like that). It was a blast but not very fun when you were matched up agaisnt people who had no clue what they were doing or those that were way beyond your skill level. A lot of that was fixed in Warcraft 3 but I could never win whenever I played that.

I've never been a big fan of PC Gaming (too expensive to keep your machine upto date) so I can't really say anything about PC Online gaming.
Eric
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

I played ET online once, I had 41 days uptime. To cut a long story short, I played the game, it screwed up my resolution, I couldn't see a bloody thing :lol:

Unfortunately I had to reboot, and I was beaten in my uptime league. I have never played an online game again..

Except for Stickcricket, but do web-based games count? 8)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

wGEric wrote: I've jumped on the Xbox Live Bandwagon. I think it is awesome! The best online gaming service that I have been a part of (I haven't been part of many, mostly Battle Net though). There's just something about talking instead of typing that makes it more fun to play. I haven't played for a while, I need to.

Agreed. It's so much more of a personal experience; I've probably still logged more total hours playing RTCW and Enemy Territory, but there's just something about being able to log onto Xbox Live, join a friend's party and say hello to everyone that makes it really enjoyable.

Plus, being able to hear somebody exclaim "oh, no" at the last second before you run them down from behind in your ghost is a real treat. :)
wGEric wrote: Warcraft 2 is the PC Game that I have played the most online (not counting Hearts, Chess, and other games like that). It was a blast but not very fun when you were matched up agaisnt people who had no clue what they were doing or those that were way beyond your skill level. A lot of that was fixed in Warcraft 3 but I could never win whenever I played that.

Yeah, that was always my problem in most PC games, too - I never found one with a good system for matching up people of similar skill levels. I always found myself either getting absolutely owned, or feeling bad for having rampaged around the level destroying everybody. Never seemed to be much in between. :)
Kazer0 wrote: Hate blah blah, hate blah blah, suck blah blah...

Pls no trolling my topic kthx.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Well sorry for stating my opinion. Didn't know this topic was for "Post if you like XBOX live only". kthx.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

There's a difference between stating your opinion and trolling. That was trolling.
Enough now.
teamultimo

Post by teamultimo »

if my parents got broadband I would be failing all my classes because of time spent on Halo 2 on xbox live
"Your damned if you do, and your damned if your don't"

.... sooooo.... what? are we all going to hell then?

Return to “General Discussion”