Online gaming

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
kdaddy

Post by kdaddy »

I personally prefer Joint Operations Escalation. Using Ventrilo for communication. I enjoy being able to drive/fly the vehicles and the personal touch being able to speak to your friends/teammates. While engaging in an all out battle. Some nights better than most.

I have played the PS2 and Nintendo when it first came out. I like the PC over the console. Now this is without playing the console for I'd say probably 3 years now. So I'm sure there are updates and improvements since I last played.

I still like the JO Escalation above all.
jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

Online gaming or any type of gaming for that matter is too addictive, I spend over a month completing FarCry on the PC, all in all i must of spent at least 100 hours doing all the sodding levels....and what for ?? I never really saved the world from a possible trigon invasion or i never really shot insergants, or general bad guys either. I concluded that I could of spent my time doing something more enjoyable and constructive like exercising or updating my website.

:!: Tip of the day Adopt a zero tollerence approach to gaming as it wastes your life. Everytime you go to play on that pointless game just think of what else you could be doing. And if you translate the amount of time spent on that game to the amount of time you spent programming PHP perhaps you could come up with something nearly as good as phpBB ( i doubt it).
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

:!: Pit of the day Adopt a zero tolerance approach to fun as it wastes your life. Every time you go to enjoy yourself just think of what else you could be doing. And if you translate the amount of time spent on happiness to the amount of time you spent programming PHP perhaps you could come up with something nearly as good as phpBB (and then post using it about why entertainment is worthless).

That said, the technical and graphical highlight of the collection of games I have succeeded in running under Ubuntu x64 OMG BETA EDITION is...nethack.
super fun rainbow colour sig
jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

Pit wrote: :!: Pit of the day Adopt a zero tolerance approach to fun as it wastes your life. Every time you go to enjoy yourself just think of what else you could be doing. And if you translate the amount of time spent on happiness to the amount of time you spent programming PHP perhaps you could come up with something nearly as good as phpBB (and then post using it about why entertainment is worthless).

That said, the technical and graphical highlight of the collection of games I have succeeded in running under Ubuntu x64 OMG BETA EDITION is...nethack.

Good point i just find that are too addictive and Iv seen many of my mates get hooked on them. I dont disagree with having fun, having fun is what life is all about but spending excessive amounts of time on a game doesnt satisfy alot of people it normally ends up depressing them. I suppose its like anything if you get too much of it, you end up getting depressed over it but the nature of the games lure you in and its easy to get hooked.
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

jonlg_uk wrote: Good point i just find that are too addictive and Iv seen many of my mates get hooked on them. I dont disagree with having fun, having fun is what life is all about but spending excessive amounts of time on a game doesnt satisfy alot of people it normally ends up depressing them. I suppose its like anything if you get too much of it, you end up getting depressed over it but the nature of the games lure you in and its easy to get hooked.
I've spent thousands of hours playing games. It's not because i'm hooked, it's because I enjoy it. Sometimes, people just don't want to be productive, and the fun they get out of playing games is worth the time they spend doing it.

I've been running a gaming site for a few years now, and so far i've come across a whopping 1 addict, who did lose his job after getting hooked on FFXI. He even bummed internet access(dialup from Ksilebo) for ages, till it was shut off and he had to move back in with parents. All these talks of addiction/depression are, IMO, just a scare tactic used by anti-gaming groups who want to blame people's problems on something other than bad parenting.

A "waste" is all in the eye of the beholder. I don't think playing games and learning to type correctly is a waste, you may however. Just because you don't go for it yourself, doesn't mean you should rain on everyone else's parade. It's like you've run into a bar trying to pass around anti-alcohol brochures. :P
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Yeah, you can become mentally addicted to anything at all; there's (obviously) nothing chemically addictive about video gaming.

Still disappointed by the lack of Xbox Live loving, though. I was hoping I'd make a few new friends, heh :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
kdaddy

Post by kdaddy »

Everyone has something they do to relax, tension reduction activity. It isn't a waste of time if that activity is what allows you to deal with the everyday stresses that are thrown your way.

Online gaming is my way of getting rid of all the stresses I deal with in the Emergency Room. It is important therapy and much less expensive than a psychiatrist. (even with computer upgrades)

Kdaddy
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

<off-topic>
Is it just a strange coincidence that all emergency room doctors manually sign their name at the bottom of each message?
</off-topic>

I do have a fun story to share.

A couple of weeks ago I was online in Halo 2. None of my friends were online, so I just started playing random matchmade games looking for quality people to start a party with. Finally, after four or five frustrating losses on some terrible teams, I managed to find one guy who seemed solid. Good communication, worked together well, so I invited him and we started playing together.

Probably played together for at least two hours, about an hour and a half in one of my regular friends came online and joined the party. One of the games was really laggy, and with a couple of really ignorant Americans who noticed my gamertag and immediately started making stupid comments about Canadians. Unfortunately, due to the lag, I was about as useful as a one-button mouse, and the ignorant morons wouldn't stop yelling and shouting at us. Eventually the game ended, and back in the lobby my regular friend told us he'd be right back, just as I complained about the ignorance you see on Xbox Live sometimes.

The other guy, the guy I'd met, said to me, "yeah, today I was actually accused of being a racist! Me." He definitely seemed like an upstanding guy, we'd had at least a couple good conversations up to this point. So I asked him how somebody with his moral fibre could possibly be accused of that.

He replied, "because I was robbing this chick, and she was Puerto Rican! She said I was only robbing her because she was Puerto Rican. I said no, I'm robbing you because you're in a convenience store! And she started freaking out on me saying that I was some kind of racist. Can you belive that?" And he laughed. And he was completely serious.

And right at that moment, my friend came back, and I was powerless to tell him what had just transpired. I started freaking out on IRC, "OH MY GOD THE GUY I'M PLAYING WITH JUST ADMITTED TO COMMITTING ARMED ROBBERY" and such. And of course, within minutes, my unknowing friend was inviting the guy to be a member of our clan, too.

That was an interesting night of gaming, to say the least.
Kanuck
pianistsk8er

Post by pianistsk8er »

teamultimo wrote: if my parents got broadband I would be failing all my classes because of time spent on Halo 2 on xbox live

I have broadband, a nice router, and an xBox, but I've never played live, I spend wayyyy too much time on the internet already, the last thing I need is another distraction. As for gaming in general, I only play MarbleBlast every now and then. ;)

School and piano (lessons + harmony + history) take up just about enough of my time. :)
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Kanuck wrote: Yeah, you can become mentally addicted to anything at all; there's (obviously) nothing chemically addictive about video gaming.

Obviously not, but it could be said that some activities are more intrinsically psychologically addictive than others. Gambling, for example.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
sempai

Post by sempai »

In our country, Online games became a fad for youngsters and it became a big industry. One of which is Ragnarok Online which has more then 45,000 players online per day. (I dunno why they are so glued to it -because maybe characters were so cute) Other online games such as Khan, Warcraft etc. has gotten some of it's share.

Just a thought :)
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Fan Site
http://dualfans.host.sk
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Darth Wong wrote: Obviously not, but it could be said that some activities are more intrinsically psychologically addictive than others. Gambling, for example.

Oh, for sure. Things become addictive because they're pleasurable or rewarding; the greater the pleasure or the award, the greater the chance it will become addictive. Lotteries and gambling are a perfect example of that, especially because so many people still hold them to be so benign, and don't even realize they've become an addict until it's a real problem.
Kanuck
ConsoleBuddies

Post by ConsoleBuddies »

Does anyone Play Counter Strike : Source?
BillyBobBongo

Post by BillyBobBongo »

PC gaming online is the way to go! I own a PS2 but mostly use that kicking peoples arses at 'Tekken Tag' (classic) or cruising the streets with the 'Grand Theft Auto' series. I've never bothered with putting the PS2 online and I've never been that fond of the XBox!

Currently I'm playing Half-Life 2, which rocks, and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. I'm hoping to get World Of Warcraft.....but only if I can convince the missus to stop buying furniture.....no wonder I never have any money! ;)
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

At the moment the only online game i play is World of Warcraft.

lvl 60 gnome warrior
lvl 43 gnome warlock

Return to “General Discussion”