In search of a smilie

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
CarolC1

In search of a smilie

Post by CarolC1 »

Years ago there was an animated yellow smilie, very simple like the phpBB 2 style of smilies, though I don't think it was a phpBB smilie.

It showed a yellow smilie head, and over his head flies the word "Whoosh" in italics and at high speed. The implication was that something went right over his head.

If anyone remembers this smilie, knows where to find it, or has it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Re: In search of a smilie

Post by JLA »

Have you looked in some of the old phpbb2 smile packs?
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Yes and no. I've exhausted the packs that are available now. But something about the way you said it gave me an idea. I don't think I ever went back and checked the packs on archive.org. They are still downloadable. For example:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040415081 ... php?cat=22

It would be worth a try. I do not remember it as being a phpBB smilie, but I don't know for certain that it wasn't. I remember seeing it in the course of browsing other forums.

It looks like the packs on phpbbhacks got a 302 response and were not archived.

If you know of any other phpbb sites in the early 2000's, especially with styles/graphics, I can check those, too.

I remember phpbbstyles and phpbbmodders and phpbbsmith and phpbbdoctor, but I don't see smilies downloads. On phpbb2refugees I see styles but no graphics.

One of the admins here used to have his own board with a lot of smilies on it. (That probably describes most admins.) He posted under one name here and another name there, but the avatar was the same. At the time he had a new baby girl. The name was something-Jo, like "Kailee Jo" or something. Maybe Acid Byrn? Do you remember if he had a forum back in the early 2000's?

In any case, thanks for the idea! :D
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

The closest thing I know of is this one...
whoosh.gif
whoosh.gif (12.91 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Oh, gosh! They're both a little close, but not quite the one. The "Whoosh" was in italics and flew overhead from left to right. It was icon size.

I haven't checked the old packs yet, I was out of town today. If I find it I will definitely post it. I used to think it would have been a great smilie to have on this board. :lol:

Thanks, both!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you considered making your own, it’s not difficult? I believe Jasc Animation Shop is still free or free download and trial.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

That's it!!! KevC, you are wonderful (as usual)!!! I've been looking for that forever. I think I didn't save it when I first saw it because it didn't fit with the size of the other smilies, but we have added various sizes since then.

I'll see how small I can get it and keep it clean. Mick, I'll look at the site you suggested. I haven't used that one. The gif is 32 frames. I was wrong about the direction of flight.

KevC, thank you for finding that. :D

BIG, BIG, BIG thanks!!!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I just put 'whoosh smiley animated' in to google and it was the 3rd picture on the page. :)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Ha! I had done 'whoosh smilie' and 'whoosh smilie gif' using Google, then Google Images, and drilled down to yellow and icon. This isn't icon size,though. I'd also tried alternates such as 'whoosh.gif', 'overmyhead.gif', 'overhead.gif'. I'd also checked PhotoBucket, but not Imgur. Glad YOU found it! :lol:
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Thanks for those

Return to “General Discussion”