Was there ever a solution for corrupted attachement files with the ASCII bug ?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Chouf

Was there ever a solution for corrupted attachement files with the ASCII bug ?

Post by Chouf »

Hey Guys,

Several years ago I screwed up during a maintenance task on my board and transferred all attachment files back and forth with Filezilla while leaving the ASCII mode ON.
All attachments and embedded pictures got corrupted and by the time I look at it, found the solution, my hosting company didn't have a backup anymore.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... filezilla/
https://blog.phpbb.com/2011/08/23/the-d ... scii-mode/

I stumbled back upon the articles linked above today and was wondering if there was ever a solution that was developed to fix these "corrupted" files ?
I still have all files present in /files, but of course they cannot be read.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Was there ever a solution for corrupted attachement files with the ASCII bug ?

Post by Mick »

Not here at phpBB as far as I’m aware. There are a few sites out there that *allegedly* have fixes but it usually involves the use of a hex editor and you pretty much have to know what the image was in the first place. It seems even if you could do it it would be a long and laborious manual process.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Re: Was there ever a solution for corrupted attachement files with the ASCII bug ?

Post by AmigoJack »

It's like wanting to fix a sheet of paper where holes were put into: it's impossible, it cannot be undone. Have a read on Attachments issue to get an idea why you can give up on that hope.
Chouf

Post by Chouf »

This is what I feared.
Anyway , thanks for the clarification
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Something I read years ago suggested you can but you need a uncorrupted image from the original source with same settings. (e.g. the camera that took the image) With a hex editor you use the header from the good image for the corrupted image. If that actually works I'd also have to wonder if it works for "source" files that have been manipulated with software like plupload.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”