wewe. before URL?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
potku

wewe. before URL?

Post by potku »

Hello! I tried searching for a discussion about this but could not find one. Sorry if this has been covered.

Our website is https://potku.net (that's our WordPress; our phpBB is at https://potku.net/forum). However, from Google admin tools we found there is an URL like https://wewe.potku.net/. That definitely sounds fishy, but does someone know what is going on with something like that? What are they trying to do exactly? Phishing?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: wewe. before URL?

Post by Mick »

It’s some kind of scam by the looks of things, there’s some information available on sites like trustpilot, is that a working url? I’ve seen ‘DO NOT CLICK’ warnings as well so it’s probably best to stay away.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
potku

Post by potku »

Thanks for your reply.

I am not so much concerned as I am curious. How did that URL happen to come about and why? But maybe it's above my pay grade. :D
cabot

Post by cabot »

What is worrying is that there is a site similar to yours on a sub-domain of your domain without your knowledge.
Unless you have delegated the management to someone else who uses it for preprod and/or testing, you should still be concerned.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Have you asked your hosts? It's on your domain after all.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
potku

Post by potku »

Earlier this morning our tech admins said not to worry, but I will discuss the matter with them again. Thank you for your replies. :)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Does the sub domain appear in your cPanel? If so you can check where its pointing to and if the files are on your site then its up to your hosts to find out how and when they got there.

You should also then be able to remove the subdomain

EDIT and if your hosting company cant solve the issue then I would be looking for a better host
potku

Post by potku »

Our host pretty much just takes care of the hardware and makes sure we stay online. Everything else is up to our tech admins (one of whom is a member here). They don't use cPanel but some other, more terminal-like method, I think. They actually did do something now, so at least the fake URL in the original post doesn't work. That's good, I suppose. :)
Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

I can access wewe… (giggles)

FYI
89CD9B70-8B91-4099-85F8-2FAF8151E9F5.png
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

potku wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:29 am I am not so much concerned as I am curious. How did that URL happen to come about and why? But maybe it's above my pay grade. :D
There is DNS entry for this and if no one from your organization added it that should a be a giant red flag. The server is responding to the request so it would have also been added to the VirtualHost file.

If they made DNS changes it may not have propagated yet but that is first thing to remove. The VirtualHost entry should also be removed or even use a 301 permanent redirect to the non wewe version to clear out any search engine indexing.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
potku

Post by potku »

thecoalman, thank you for pointing out the potential dangers of this oversight. Our tech admins took your thought seriously and made changes to our DNS settings.

Thank you. :)

Return to “General Discussion”