Best way to obtain Traffic stats ?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
mrix2000

Best way to obtain Traffic stats ?

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello all, as the title suggests what is the best way to get traffic stats for your forum ? unique visitors daily etc ?
Thanks for any feedback 8-)
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to General Discussion
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Best way to obtain Traffic stats ?

Post by P_I »

Does your hosting provider give you access to AWStats?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

P_I wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:15 pm Does your hosting provider give you access to AWStats?
Not sure but I will find out.... thank you
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Awstats can be useful for a lot of things but it's only useful as far as what it filters. Scraper bots using a browser user agent for example are treated as regular user, as another example file.php is treated as a page.

If you look under the IP list you will likely find a few IP's at the top with a large amount of traffic relative to the others, if you look the IP's up they will be datacenters or other sources you would not expect much traffic. This skews many of the stats like pages.

What I have found quite useful is the stats in Google search console. It only covers traffic from their search engine but it's accurate.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”