Pre-buit or Custom Built

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Shof515

Pre-buit or Custom Built

Post by Shof515 »

Which type of computer do you like...and for custom buit,where do u get your parts
Whos missing up my sig?
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Always custom built,

The white box vendors need your support and their always the cheapest, and they actually let you open your box and add stuff and still let you claim warranty. And all the parts are still name parts with their individual manufacturers warranties 8)
Systems Engineering
freeBB

Post by freeBB »

custom buit.

You can get the parts at any computer stores.
Free Forum Business
Looking to hire phpBB style/theme designers.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Custom built by far. When you custom build, you know you're getting quality hardware. With prebuilt, it' not exactly easy find out exactly what brand/model hardware you're getting. In addition to quality hardware, manufacturer's warrenties are really all you need.

There's also a significant price/power ratio when you custom build.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Self build. Choose the components yourself, and don't get any of the rubbish you don't want. It's also cheaper.

Dan
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Prebuilt. :-)

I used to love hacking hardware. Now I don't have the time, I just need a cheap box that works for a few years then I buy another one. Hardware is a commodity... something you use up and replace. It's not worth my time to build something anymore and have to deal with 5 different vendors when a part goes out.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Atlantis Services

Post by Atlantis Services »

Pezzoni wrote: It's also cheaper.

Dan

Not always :(
Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

Depends on the purpose of the box.

For general office work, pre-built every time - they are cheaper and apart from software configuration ready to go as soon as you get them.

For more specific tasks, some or all of it will be custom to allow me to get the specification properly balanced for what it will be doing.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
stu15

Post by stu15 »

Always custom built as well :)
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Graham wrote: Depends on the purpose of the box.

For general office work, pre-built every time - they are cheaper and apart from software configuration ready to go as soon as you get them.

Agreed. And even if I custom build one (e.g. a Shuttle) I don't care for the hardware, usually go with something from the cheap end - and nothing has failed me up to date: I still have a Pentium90 with a 1GB HD running. (And if something should fail, I usually have something to replace it, and of course backups).

There really is no point in custom-built, unless there is some very special purpose, like gaming or very high reliability (where any downtime costs plenty of money). Or, of course, if you have too much time on your hands and like "playing" with hardware.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

I think people are getting confused

custom built != self built
custom built is where you turn up to your hole in the wall computer shop around the corner, get their A4 page b&w catalogue, choose the closest system to what you want and then them to add and remove parts to your desire.

White box vendors are great, upgrade the video card, no problem. Change the HDD to this brand, no problem. I don't want windows, sure thing.

Custom built doesn't mean you have to build it yourself, though if you in a hurry they can give you all the pieces and let you built it yourself. 8)

pre-built would be DELL, HP, Compaq, Packard Bell, IBM etc...

For a large setting environment, i.e. have to outfit a classroom or an officeblock with 60PCs which are all exactly the same, you can get good deals through the pre-built mobs, which a white box vendor probably isn't equipped to provide.
Systems Engineering
DanTheTekMan

Post by DanTheTekMan »

Self-built (custom), www.newegg.com
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

For my office I use Pre-built (Dell). I don't have the time to mess with building systems.

For Home I custom build my own.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

self-built since it's fun making your own computer! :mrgreen:
Also, since you built it yourself, you know more how a computer works so you can have a better idea what's wrong if you ever get problems.
In addition, making self-built ones can save you $$$ if you want to upgrade your video card or hard drive since you don't have to pay someone to do it--you can do it yourself!
So, overall, I think self-built are better unless you can get a really good deal on a premade one.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Apple, IBM or Custom Built.

Return to “General Discussion”