Pre-buit or Custom Built

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Graphic
Former Team Member

Post by Graphic »

I built my last two computers, but I vowed never to buy Windows again so the next computer I get will be a pre-built Mac.
What Is Real!?
Latest phpBB2 Styles: [What Is Real!?] [Avalanche]
shaine

Post by shaine »

self-built
no one in my family will ever buy a prebuilt.
Shaine
-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

i started in 1997 with a prebuilt pc ... Then I changed components as needed. And at the moment the only unchanged component is floppy disk. Of course the result is a custom pc ...
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only
Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

Can you custom build a Mac? Or even slef build one? Has anyone ever done this?
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

I am going to buy my first system after 5 years (self-built and still the same good old Win2k installation), but I am too lazy to build the new box by myself - actually I don't have the time to read through hundreds of hardware reviews. So I just gave a list of what I need to a friend, who does this for a living anyway, and he will assemble me a fine piece of hardware for a decent price. I guess you could call that custom-built.

No pre-build for me.
skuld the great

Post by skuld the great »

Custom built.
Skuld
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Custom/Self/Newegg - Built by far, don't waste money on a prebuilt by getting 3rd string parts when you can get cheaper 1st string(high end) parts...

As always, you have more room for overclocking when you build it yourself. :twisted:
frohner1

Post by frohner1 »

DanTheTekMan wrote: Self-built (custom), www.newegg.com

good man 8)
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

The biggest difference between a homebuilt system and one that was built by others is that the professionally assembled ones tend to have those cute little protective rubber boots on the ends of the power connectors, and the cables are usually well-organized, bundled, and tied to the frame, unlike the "hanging vines" interior of the average PC that I build myself. Not that this really matters since everything works, but it sure looks nice inside the average pro-built box, and I just can't be bothered to clean mine up the same way as long as it's working the way I want it to.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Darth Wong wrote: The biggest difference between a homebuilt system and one that was built by others is that the professionally assembled ones tend to have those cute little protective rubber boots on the ends of the power connectors, and the cables are usually well-organized, bundled, and tied to the frame, unlike the "hanging vines" interior of the average PC that I build myself. Not that this really matters since everything works, but it sure looks nice inside the average pro-built box, and I just can't be bothered to clean mine up the same way as long as it's working the way I want it to.

Plus crappy cabling relatively stuffs up window cases 8)
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

Rapid Dr3am wrote: Can you custom build a Mac? Or even slef build one? Has anyone ever done this?

The problem is: Mac components (i.e. the motherboard and the CPU) aren't sold seperately. You have to get the whole machine. I guess you could get bits second-hand and build it up yourself, but it's a lot easier just to order a pre-built. Plus, it'll have been finely tuned by Apple, etc.

Personally, I have pre-built Macs (PB and Mac Mini; hard to custom build anything equivelent. :) ), and a custom-built Windows machine. Basically, Mac: prebuilt, Windows custom-built (in general).
Point and Code - phpBB Mods, cPanel Zen, and more on the way!
SciFi Minds - FanFiction for SciFi Fans!
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

You can self build Macs, see here: [can't find link], but, you can't install Mac OS on it, as it is not Apple Branded Hardware...

Personally, I prefer Pre-Built computer, mainly because most of my computers are Macs ;)
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

pulling his hair wrote: You can self build Macs, see here: [can't find link], but, you can't install Mac OS on it, as it is not Apple Branded Hardware...

Yikes talk about sucky. And they say microsoft has a monopoly.
You can even buy the hardware seperate for an apple, only ONE company sells it!
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
MrTorrance

Post by MrTorrance »

Mac's are pretty dang nice, but any other OS I'd go custom built over a name brand Compaq, IBM, or the many others. I used to self build, but anymore a custom can usually save some bucks...or at the very least a lot of time searching for good hardware prices. I say let someone else shop for you. :)
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

starfoxtj wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:You can self build Macs, see here: [can't find link], but, you can't install Mac OS on it, as it is not Apple Branded Hardware...

Yikes talk about sucky. And they say microsoft has a monopoly.
You can even buy the hardware seperate for an apple, only ONE company sells it!
They added that into the User Agreement to try and completely stop the clones, which almost put Apple out of business...

Return to “General Discussion”