Folding@Home - Any of you fold?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Spazz

Folding@Home - Any of you fold?

Post by Spazz »

I was just wondering if any of you guys fold for any teams, if at all?

I do fold for Team PimpRig (596) and I have around 6.7K points. If you all are wondering what Folding@Home is, basically, it's like a "computer study group". The F@H group wants to figure out how proteins fold and they need computers to do it.

http://folding.stanford.edu

If you want to fold, all you have to do is install a painless program that uses your idle CPU cycles and it outputs the information to Stanford's Pande group.

I encourage you all to join Team 596 ... but that choice is for you.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

I used to, but it ate up a lot of my CPU and was constantly dropping the core and downloading a new one, which ate up my (at the time) dialup bandwidth. It is a good project, but I can't afford the 100% cpu usage.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

I don't run that software, but I am involved with a couple of other distributed computing projects that do protein folding of a different kind or various other medical related research.

I would personally direct people to a third party site such as distributedcomputing.info that provides information on all the projects out there if they are interested in doing something like that.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

I folded some washing this morning. :)
PCGUY112887

Post by PCGUY112887 »

Folding for team 32 baby :)
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I do the Distributed.net project- so my pitiful Celeron 1.2g is already taken ;)
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Anon wrote: I do the Distributed.net project- so my pitiful Celeron 1.2g is already taken ;)
Celeries weren't made for that kind of thing. Given that they don't have a math coprocessor I mean. Sure, they handle day-to-day things just fine, but when it comes to crunching numbers, math coprocessors take the cake. Just another tidbit of useless information from your neighborhood Techie-Micheal. ;) ^_^

At any rate, has nobody had the problem I had above? Surely I'm not the only one with such a complaint?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

You mean, the problem of a program designed to use your spare CPU cycles using your spare CPU cycles? Yeah, I had that problem too. :P
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Celeries weren't made for that kind of thing. Given that they don't have a math coprocessor I mean. Sure, they handle day-to-day things just fine, but when it comes to crunching numbers, math coprocessors take the cake.

Uh, I think by that you mean that Celerons lack of a large L2 means that they can't cache instructions that are run sequentially, such as FFT's. All modern (read: 486 onwards) have built in math coprocessors :)

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

I want to find a distributed computing project that 1) runs on loonix and 2) utilises AMD64's 64-bits-of-uNF. Sure, I could run a 32-bit client, but that hurts me inside.
super fun rainbow colour sig
RexB

Post by RexB »

For sure, Folding for Team 40270 at 98% 'low priority' usage; 'puters are on anyway :thumbup:

Haven't run across a worthy 64-bit DC project yet, but there *must? be one out there. The Stanford Folding/Pande Group had a 64-bit test build, but not much improvement so they didn't distribute it.

Great forum, i'm trying to learn 'dis stuff 8O
FX-53 Folding for Global Roamers
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Pit: Try Distributed.net

I think you'll see a client that you'll like ;)
David Robinson

Post by David Robinson »

I'm currently stuck between using Folding@Home or Seti@Home
Mattyboi01

Post by Mattyboi01 »

yeh i done this fold thing, was getting annoying tho, so i got rid of it :S
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

Yep I do.

Though a couple of my pals at uni think it's some kind of fashionable competition and really go over the top about it.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone

Return to “General Discussion”