Reformatting your computer

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Reformatting your computer

Post by nuckfan15 »

How often or do you even reformat it every little while. I just did mine. The real pain was finding the drivers, but other then that reformatiing is a good option at least every couple years.

I tend to do it about 6 months. But What about you guys.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

NeoThermic
Security Consultant

Post by NeoThermic »

Never. I just take care of my system. Its not hard to do, and it saves more time :)

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

I agree with NeoThermic. Maintenance and organization are the most important things, and you can keep your system going for a very long time without the need to reformat. I used to reformat every 6 months or so mainly because I had files cluttered and thrown all over the place and figured it would be easier just to start from scratch (it was!). Create a good oranization schematic and stick to it ... it'll save you so much trouble.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

nuckfan15

Post by nuckfan15 »

Meh, I dont mind doing it. A fresh start is nice. After a While stuff gets too slow for me.

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

I never re-format. Even though right now my organization on my comp is somewhat of a mess, I'd rather just take the time to organize what I can and need(if I don't need it anymore, I don't really care in a way if I can't find it). I had to re-format once a little while ago only because of damage that was done to my computer from a virus, and I don't plan on having that happen again.

nuckfan15

Post by nuckfan15 »

Well you guys probably run Windows Xp. Wich is most likely a bit easier to work wih when reformatting. In Windows 98 you have to search for drivers accros Google.

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I personally haven't formatted the new computer, it runs XP Home. However as soon as I get a Server 2003 CD, I'm formatting it with that 8)

Retarded Monkey

Post by Retarded Monkey »

so far this month, i have reformatted about 30 times because of a faulty hard drive, tonight i hope was the last time i had to reformat for awhile 8) im scared my disk is going to break :cry:

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Retarded Monkey wrote: so far this month, i have reformatted about 30 times because of a faulty hard drive, tonight i hope was the last time i had to reformat for awhile 8) im scared my disk is going to break :cry:

I'd call 30 times in a month more than faulty. That's every single day on average. I'd look into a new hard drive.

Editor@phpbbhost

Post by Editor@phpbbhost »

A format once in while is like a breath of fresh air for your PC ...
Take the fact like sp2 xp and then you get updates for this and that ...

When xp sp2 came out it was wise to do a fresh clean install of the os I pesonally have a integrated version then after you can then put all latest drivers etc on ... no more little bits left behind from updates etc ..
this usually makes for a happy PC ...

[SPAM]
Last edited by Editor@phpbbhost on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
was Chief Security Administrator for phpbbhost.org
Chief Security Administrator for Groundhost.net

Retarded Monkey

Post by Retarded Monkey »

Magnotta wrote:
Retarded Monkey wrote:so far this month, i have reformatted about 30 times because of a faulty hard drive, tonight i hope was the last time i had to reformat for awhile 8) im scared my disk is going to break :cry:

I'd call 30 times in a month more than faulty. That's every single day on average. I'd look into a new hard drive.

I got a new one, but it wasn't just once a day i was reformatting, it was about 2-3 times a day, it was actually quite fun -_-'

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Retarded Monkey wrote: I got a new one, but it wasn't just once a day i was reformatting, it was about 2-3 times a day, it was actually quite fun -_-'

as well as very time consuming I'll bet.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Formatting over and over again is going to damage your drive quickly.
Just buy a new one - It's only about £0.50 a gb now...

Dan

MrTorrance

Post by MrTorrance »

Reformatting is a pain in the butt. I try to do it only when I'm upgrading the OS.

Retard Monkey -- "A damaged hardrive in the hand is worth one in the garbage." Ditch that faulty thing and get a new drive. I just bought a used 10gig for $10.00 the other day and it works great. I'm sure the many hours you've put into trying to use a busted drive are worth at least 10.00 bucks...maybe even $10.03. :wink:
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks

ptlis

Post by ptlis »

When I used Windows (2k & XP) it was once every 6 months or so , this is running as a non-administer account with minimal priveledges, Opera as browser, GAIM as my IM client & using no peer to peer software (although when I admined four 2k3 boxes I didn't have to format them once in the 14months I was there). Windows has always been such but I remember back in the '98 days it would be once aver 2months (lack of any real security measures are a bitch). Now that I primerrily use GNU/Linux I format whenever I want to switch distro; last time was October when I switched from Slack 10 to Debian/Sarge - apt-get makes life so damn easy.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.

Return to “General Discussion”