Reformatting your computer

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

I reformat everytime I update my OS, so when Tiger comes out, I'll be formatting my Hard Drives...

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: ... IIRC, Linux uses a "similar" Journaling system.

WTF are you talking about? Journalling filesystems such as ReiserFS and ext3 have absolutely nothing to do with the Windows system registry. They're a way of making hard drive access transactional, so you can "roll back" partially finished writes in the event of a hard reset or power failure. They are not remotely related to system configuration data.
AFAIK every OS needs some sort of "registry" to keep track of various apps and info.

Wrong. Linux uses ASCII text files to keep track of its apps and info, just like every other UNIX.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Darth Wong wrote: ...

Then yeah, I recalled incorrectly and was thinking of something else.
Wrong. Linux uses ASCII text files to keep track of its apps and info, just like every other UNIX.

I quoted "registry" in my post because I was speaking of any generic method to keep track of the information; I didn't give any specifics because I didn't know of any.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: I quoted "registry" in my post because I was speaking of any generic method to keep track of the information; I didn't give any specifics because I didn't know of any.

Ah, well you see, the Windows registry is unusual because it is not human-readable, unlike the ASCII text configuration files used by UNIX systems. You don't know where your stuff is buried in there, and you certainly won't know what registry keys are necessary in order to do something, unless the Windows people tell you. Contrast this to ASCII configuration files, which are app-specific, generally commented, and easily backed up. Sure, you can back up the whole Windows registry, or certain keys, but what if you don't know where the keys are or what they're called? What if you want to copy this configuration data from one machine to another one, so you can't just copy the whole registry over?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Drunky

Post by Drunky »

Are the ASCII text files really easy to manage? Say I want to delete a program and don't want the registry left behind.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Drunky wrote: Are the ASCII text files really easy to manage? Say I want to delete a program and don't want the registry left behind.

rm -rf
..and please don't use the term "registry" :D Call them dotfiles, or config files. :)

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Darth Wong wrote: Ah, well you see, the Windows registry is unusual because it is not human-readable, unlike the ASCII text configuration files used by UNIX systems. You don't know where your stuff is buried in there, and you certainly won't know what registry keys are necessary in order to do something, unless the Windows people tell you.

I definitely agree with you that the Linux method is simpler to the end user, the irony being that reformats aren't needed as often with Linux anyways.

However, if programs used the registry properly, I do think it would be significantly easier to deal with. Unfortunately everything has a bad tendency to overwrite/delete keys, and put their settings all over the place. Well-written programs store all of their global settings in one key under HKLM, and user settings in one key under each user's HKCU. So it's actually pretty easy to backup your settings for programs that do this properly - Messenger Plus! comes to mind immediately.

Too bad everybody doesn't take a cue from them... ironically, Microsoft is the worst abuser of its own concept.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

saabirsa

Post by saabirsa »

lol, i reformat every week :lol:

T1Cybernetic
Name: Christopher Maxwell

Post by T1Cybernetic »

saabirsa wrote: lol, i reformat every week :lol:

Im probably on the same time scale, :lol: i have a good spell and a bad spell
every now and then and sometimes i make a couple of months without doing
a format but then i do it just to have the clean start etc.

Mostly you have to understand that i do alot of overclocking and modding
with my computer and files get corrupt etc so i have no alternative some
days, although i dont mind doing it most of the time because my windows
disk is a slipstreamed sp2 disk with some of my favorite programs and
tools already setup to install automaticaly when i format and it's almost
a completely unattended install exept for the F6 install for my sata drivers.

/End rant!
Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

Atlantis Services

Post by Atlantis Services »

I format my drive from time too time. Normally if things start getting "odd" on my system or if something stops working right and I feel it would take less time to just format, rather then fix it. I make normal back ups all the time, so it's just as simple as rebooting to a cd of mine and doing a low level format, then reinstall my OS. Whole thing normally takes less about 15min or so to do. Getting a virus is also a reason why I may format. Even if my system was able to clean it, I still just have a peace of mind doing it anyways.

Currently I'm running Windows XP, Fedora 3 Linux, and plan on having Mandrake on soon, for a total of 3 OS's.
Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

mandangi
I've Been Banned!
Location: Razole, Razole taluqa, East Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh, India

Post by mandangi »

Formatting hard disk often is not good. I am computer hardware servicer. In my service i noticed that some hard disks damaged after formatting them many times.

T1Cybernetic
Name: Christopher Maxwell

Post by T1Cybernetic »

My old pc has a 10gb master drive thats been formated well over 100
times in it's life time and it's still chuggin along nicely, ;) although it's
probably about time i either got rid of it and stuck a bigger one in it
or even got a new pc totaly for my backup things as it's getting a bit
old now.

I think i've had that drive for nearly 6 years so come to think of it i bet
it's been formated and even low level formated a hole lot more than i
can even remember because its used mostly for testing and backups!
and it's not usualy a very happy pc getting all sortsa rubbish thrown at
it all the time and then being overclocked to high heaven and back!
Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

mandangi wrote: Formatting hard disk often is not good. I am computer hardware servicer. In my service i noticed that some hard disks damaged after formatting them many times.

Low-level formatting is the harsh one. Normal formatting is no different than saving a file, in that 0s are changed to 1s and vice-versa on the magnetic platters.

Ninereeds

Post by Ninereeds »

Only 1 time since Win XP (Pro) came out: when I got it :)

Before that with 98/Me it was like 2 times a year or so.
Using phpBB 2.06

Return to “General Discussion”