Should paintball be regulated like firearms?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

CLee wrote: So you want to restrict paintball guns in order to stop a string of vandalism?
Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such? Because they are used to do harm. That doesn't mean that that is their function or that the majority do harm, it simply means that there is a recognition of a problem and steps were taken. Firearms have regulations on them, and going by what was said above, a paintball marker can be considered a firearm, no?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
CLee wrote:So you want to restrict paintball guns in order to stop a string of vandalism?
Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such?
You can't get high off paintballs, at least not to my knowledge. :)
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
CLee wrote:So you want to restrict paintball guns in order to stop a string of vandalism?
Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such? Because they are used to do harm. That doesn't mean that that is their function or that the majority do harm, it simply means that there is a recognition of a problem and steps were taken. Firearms have regulations on them, and going by what was said above, a paintball marker can be considered a firearm, no?

Because Wal Mart are scared of getting dragged into court by parents to moronic kids? ;)

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

FF8Jake` wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such?
You can't get high off paintballs, at least not to my knowledge. :)
Note the word "problem" in my statement. Not "getting high" or "killing brain cells" or anything of the sort. ;)

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such? Because they are used to do harm.

That doesn't make it right. The assumption that you gain some level of maturity in that instant you turn 18 years old is pretty laughable; it's not even a good estimation. There are many things that can be harmful if used to that end, and implementing ridiculous age restriction laws isn't going to stop anybody from doing the harm they set out to cause, it's just going to inconvenience everybody.

It reminds me of my elementary school. Every time any sort of object was involved in a disagreement or physical altercation, our principal immediately banned it from the school grounds. By the end of my time there, the laughable list of items no longer allowed at school included items such as Magic: The Gathering cards, Pogs/milk caps, plastic water bottles/sport bottles, baseball gloves and rubber balls. Yes, all of these objects can conceivably cause harm; but I covered an incident for the newspaper where two people were stabbed with pens at my old university, and I certainly didn't see them subsequently banned.

This is the exact same thing, and it's rather ridiculous.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Techie-Micheal wrote: Note the word "problem" in my statement. Not "getting high" or "killing brain cells" or anything of the sort. ;)
First, "getting high" and "killing brain cells" is a problem, or do you have another word for that? For some reason, I highly doubt Wal-Mart put the limit to stop vandalism. Also, by your logic, anything that could become a problem should be limited to the public, yes? If that's the case, we had better put a limit on nearly everything in the store. Someone could get assaulted with a wooden toilet seat! Or even worse, someone could use a can of hairspray as a flamethrower! OR they could even get a little gas, a styrofoam cup, a box of self striking matches, and a tennis ball to make a complete napalm bomb. Your logic totally baffles me. :)
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Kanuck wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such? Because they are used to do harm.

That doesn't make it right. The assumption that you gain some level of maturity in that instant you turn 18 years old is pretty laughable; it's not even a good estimation. There are many things that can be harmful if used to that end, and implementing ridiculous age restriction laws isn't going to stop anybody from doing the harm they set out to cause, it's just going to inconvenience everybody.

It reminds me of my elementary school. Every time any sort of object was involved in a disagreement or physical altercation, our principal immediately banned it from the school grounds. By the end of my time there, the laughable list of items no longer allowed at school included items such as Magic: The Gathering cards, Pogs/milk caps, plastic water bottles/sport bottles, baseball gloves and rubber balls. Yes, all of these objects can conceivably cause harm; but I covered an incident for the newspaper where two people were stabbed with pens at my old university, and I certainly didn't see them subsequently banned.

This is the exact same thing, and it's rather ridiculous.
For some reason, I'm not seeing the words perfect solution in any of the posts in this topic ... However, at some point, the law makes a distinction between juvenile and adult. Who had that wild idea I'll never know. By your reasoning then, 7 year-olds should be allowed to run rampant down the halls with pencils and scissors in their hands.
FF8Jake` wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Note the word "problem" in my statement. Not "getting high" or "killing brain cells" or anything of the sort. ;)
First, "getting high" and "killing brain cells" is a problem, or do you have another word for that? For some reason, I highly doubt Wal-Mart put the limit to stop vandalism. Also, by your logic, anything that could become a problem should be limited to the public, yes? If that's the case, we had better put a limit on nearly everything in the store. Someone could get assaulted with a wooden toilet seat! Or even worse, someone could use a can of hairspray as a flamethrower! OR they could even get a little gas, a styrofoam cup, a box of self striking matches, and a tennis ball to make a complete napalm bomb. Your logic totally baffles me. :)
See, problem isn't just defined as getting high, a problem could be any number of things. A problem could be that underaged kids are sneaking alcohol from their parents in to the wood and drinking with their friends. That still causes the brain cell damage and the getting high, but you also have deliquency and disrespect for authority. See, your asinine comments really don't help things any. Last time I checked kids weren't going around the city and using people as horseshoe targets for toilet seats. However, kids are going around and shooting people, vehicles, pets, and houses with paintball guns. Funny thing about those paintball guns too, in the instructions they specifically state that unprotected play could result in serious injury or death. If I remember correctly, at around 280 feet per second, which happens to be normal for game play of paintball, the paintballs are actually travelling at around 200 miles per hour. I don't know about you, but hurdling a toilet seat and firing a projectile at 200 miles per hour just don't seem to jive.

CLee

Post by CLee »

Gud wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:

Because Wal Mart are scared of getting dragged into court by parents to moronic kids? ;)

I think they have done the exact opposite. By setting themselves up as "Nanny-Mart" they have painted a big target on themselves in the event that a minor got a hold of such a deadly product as--an air duster. Or should that should be a bar of soup, which is even deadlier?
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Techie-Micheal wrote: For some reason, I'm not seeing the words perfect solution in any of the posts in this topic ... However, at some point, the law makes a distinction between juvenile and adult. Who had that wild idea I'll never know. By your reasoning then, 7 year-olds should be allowed to run rampant down the halls with pencils and scissors in their hands.

Yeah, um, I don't really recall saying that - you're inheriting Darth's ability to jump to wild conclusions, and that'll get people not bothering to talk to you either ;)

Running down the hall with scissors is an obvious safety hazard at any age, it's not much different than reaching into a snowblower while it's running. It's got very little relation to this, and any relation it does have, falls into the realms of parenting. Shocking as it may be, Wal-Mart is not my daddy; so if they told me I couldn't buy something because I might do something bad with it, I'd wonder why they sold it at all.
Kanuck

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

CLee wrote: Or should that should be a bar of soup, which is even deadlier?

Hey now, Campbell's Chunky is 99 and 44/100ths percent pure. It won't do any damage.
Kanuck

CLee

Post by CLee »

Techie-Micheal wrote: For some reason, I'm not seeing the words perfect solution in any of the posts in this topic ... However, at some point, the law makes a distinction between juvenile and adult. Who had that wild idea I'll never know. By your reasoning then, 7 year-olds should be allowed to run rampant down the halls with pencils and scissors in their hands.

This has nothing to do with the law but Wal-Mart acting as if it was Nanny-Mart with these stupid asinine checks that can guarantee nothing, especially when the checks aren't going to work in the first place. It really isn't their responsibility to protect people from being stupid.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

MrTorrance

Post by MrTorrance »

Kanuck wrote:
CLee wrote:Or should that should be a bar of soup, which is even deadlier?

Hey now, Campbell's Chunky is 99 and 44/100ths percent pure. It won't do any damage.

You' re assing that a person will eat the soap. I heard a story about a guy who got killed in prison by a dude with a bar of soap in a sock. So your Campbell's Chunky could be deadly as well :wink:
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Kanuck wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:For some reason, I'm not seeing the words perfect solution in any of the posts in this topic ... However, at some point, the law makes a distinction between juvenile and adult. Who had that wild idea I'll never know. By your reasoning then, 7 year-olds should be allowed to run rampant down the halls with pencils and scissors in their hands.

Yeah, um, I don't really recall saying that - you're inheriting Darth's ability to jump to wild conclusions, and that'll get people not bothering to talk to you either ;)
I thought people already did that?
Running down the hall with scissors is an obvious safety hazard at any age, it's not much different than reaching into a snowblower while it's running.
As is putting a firearm in the hands of someone who is not mature enough to understand the effects of pulling that trigger.
Shocking as it may be, Wal-Mart is not my daddy; so if they told me I couldn't buy something because I might do something bad with it, I'd wonder why they sold it at all.
I'd be worried if Walmart was your daddy, seeing as how Sam's Club is related to Walmart ...

So, instead of someone accepting responsiblity for immature kids, there shouldn't be regulations and/or laws governing the misuse of a firearm? I guess that would have an interesting Darwin effect, but personally I prefer to not be part of that. In the US, there are laws governing the age of who is allowed to purchase a gun. Does that mean kids don't find ways around that? No. However, it does keep just anybody from walking in there and asking for a gun.

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Techie-Micheal wrote: See, problem isn't just defined as getting high, a problem could be any number of things. A problem could be that underaged kids are sneaking alcohol from their parents in to the wood and drinking with their friends. That still causes the brain cell damage and the getting high, but you also have deliquency and disrespect for authority.
Please, don't take this into semantics. I'm sure you know good and well I was addressing that people sniffing the paint/glue/etc is the problem Wal-mart is trying to stop, not all problems in general. As far as delinquency and disrespect go, that's a problem you're not going to get rid of without some good parenting. Even if Wal-Mart stops idiots from getting what they want, they'll just find some other place to get it, and also make a lot of people mad by limiting their purchasing power. All you're accomplishing is keeping things that could do some damage out of the hands of people who wouldn't use them for that purpose.
See, your asinine comments really don't help things any. Last time I checked kids weren't going around the city and using people as horseshoe targets for toilet seats. However, kids are going around and shooting people, vehicles, pets, and houses with paintball guns.
I'm sorry, it appears I forgot to add the [sarcasm] bbcode around the toilet seat comment. But I have seen people use hairspray as a flamethrower, and I know people personally who've done the napalm bombs(my brother, an idiot). Odd how you didn't comment on those. Basically i'm saying there is a very large number of things that can be used for harm, and are being used for harm, that do not have any limits set on their purchase, and shouldn't. It won't do anything but make people mad.
Funny thing about those paintball guns too, in the instructions they specifically state that unprotected play could result in serious injury or death. If I remember correctly, at around 280 feet per second, which happens to be normal for game play of paintball, the paintballs are actually travelling at around 200 miles per hour. I don't know about you, but hurdling a toilet seat and firing a projectile at 200 miles per hour just don't seem to jive.
I am saddened that my sarcasm was so lost on you, Techie. Perhaps the flamethrower or exploding ball of fire do jive? Perhaps we should(as someone mentioned earlier) put age limits on baseball bats, and shovels, and make sure they have warning labels that say something like "Warning! This bat/shovel could cause serious injury or death if not used correctly! -- ¡Advertencia! ¡Este bat/shovel podía causar lesión o la muerte seria si no usada correctamente!"? Some of you are just a little too paranoid.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Kanuck wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Why are strong glues, whiteout, etc. restricted to purchase by those over 18 by Walmart and such? Because they are used to do harm.

That doesn't make it right. The assumption that you gain some level of maturity in that instant you turn 18 years old is pretty laughable; it's not even a good estimation.

Since there is no such thing as a Maturity Breathtester, an age limit is the next best thing. It may not be perfect but since no one has presented a credible alternative, it will have to do. But by all means, if you do have a credible, feasible alternative to minimum driving ages, drinking ages, voting ages, and yes, firearms purchase ages, feel free to post it.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”