Should paintball be regulated like firearms?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Kanuck
Former Team Member
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:33 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by Kanuck »

I leave for two days, and the NRA shows up? Yikes.

I didn't think the tin foil hat crowd used computers - the government uses them to spy on us, after all. :?

So, uh... paintball, eh? Oh, I hear they're putting age restrictions on video games too, because clearly they're murder simulators.

Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, these things fall into the category of parental responsibility?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
MrTorrance
Registered User
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:41 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Post by MrTorrance »

Kanuck wrote: I didn't think the tin foil hat crowd used computers - the government uses them to spy on us, after all. :?

I know a family that actually does that...they go around town sometimes, wife, kids, all have tinfoil wrapped around thier heads and arms. It's major league creepy. 8O
Kanuck wrote: Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, these things fall into the category of parental responsibility?

The american public as a whole has fallen into a lulled sence of safety in the hands of our local government. To even say the words "parental responsibility" is an oxymoron in the U.S. Parents don't raise childeren, the v-chip controlled television does. And as far as responsibility...f-ing schools can't even teach our kids anymore because of all the stupid lawsuits all over the place. Parents will sue for any stupid thing their kid does, it's rediculous. This country and it's drones can't be left to the "parents"...everything must be regulated.

I started this topic because I saw a news program about a paintball "sniper" in florida. No one is dead, but several have been blinded. One man was hit so hard his eyeball split in two.

I'm a NRA member, I play paintball, and I believe that paintball markers are too powerful and amazingly fast to be considered toys and therefore should be treated as the weapons they are.
~MrsTorrance~
~Wife's Blog~
...it must be that darn flux capacitor again!?
[DEV]CC_2ND_EMAIL : [DEV]WordLinks
Kanuck
Former Team Member
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:33 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by Kanuck »

MrTorrance wrote: The american public as a whole has fallen into a lulled sence of safety in the hands of our local government. To even say the words "parental responsibility" is an oxymoron in the U.S. Parents don't raise childeren, the v-chip controlled television does. And as far as responsibility...f-ing schools can't even teach our kids anymore because of all the stupid lawsuits all over the place. Parents will sue for any stupid thing their kid does, it's rediculous. This country and it's drones can't be left to the "parents"...everything must be regulated.

Yeah. Imagine if America started being logical, it'd be, like... Canada! :P

I didn't realize paintball markers were quite that powerful. Still, though, I do think the common use of an item has to factor in somehow. If these paintball incidents became as widespread as, say, gun violence, I could definitely see a reason to control them. But the fact remains it's just a few bad apples; certainly that doesn't need to spoil the whole bunch?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
Darth Wong
Registered User
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Darth Wong »

Kanuck wrote: I leave for two days, and the NRA shows up? Yikes.

I didn't think the tin foil hat crowd used computers - the government uses them to spy on us, after all. :?

So, uh... paintball, eh? Oh, I hear they're putting age restrictions on video games too, because clearly they're murder simulators.

Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, these things fall into the category of parental responsibility?

Could someone explain to me how "parental responsibility" translates to "no age limits on purchases?" Age limits for purchases will help the parent do his job; they do not have anything to do with shirking responsibility. Unless you think "parental responsibility" means "follow my kid around 24/7 wherever he goes, so he can't go into a mall and buy something I object to", which is absurd.

Let's get this straight: age limits are not censorship, they are not a reduction of "parental responsibility", they are not the end of the world, they are not the sky falling. They are nothing more than a sensible regulation, just like the age limits on alcohol, tobacco, and pornography purchases.

If the parent approves of the product for his kid, he can buy the product for his kid. Making it easier for the kid to sneak around behind his back and buy stuff that the parent objects to is hardly a way to improve "parental responsibility".
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
SynergyGN
Registered User
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 7:51 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by SynergyGN »

The United States Constitution wrote: The United States Constitution
Second Amendment - Bearing Arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.


Shall not be infringed means just that. Arms includes all weapons of any kind, regardless of whether or not they are lethal.
Canis_Latrans
Registered User
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:42 am

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Once again you're ignoring the fact that a well regulated militia is no longer necessary to the security of your country. You have an army for that.
CLee
Registered User
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 2:42 pm

Post by CLee »

1) Do not resurrect a dead topic.

2) Do not drag the topic back off topic.

3) A right directly enumerated under the Constitution cannot be rescinded without another amendment, no matter if the original pretext for granting that right continues to exist or not.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mr. C »

Of course paintball guns shouldn't be treated as regular firearms, what kind of question is that?
Canis_Latrans
Registered User
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:42 am

Post by Canis_Latrans »

CLee wrote: 1) Do not resurrect a dead topic.

2) Do not drag the topic back off topic.

Yes mister moderator. Oh wait...
3) A right directly enumerated under the Constitution cannot be rescinded without another amendment, no matter if the original pretext for granting that right continues to exist or not.

Pot, kettle, black?
SynergyGN
Registered User
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 7:51 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Post by SynergyGN »

Canis_Latrans wrote: Once again you're ignoring the fact that a well regulated militia is no longer necessary to the security of your country. You have an army for that.


Oh boy. Where do I even start? Security of the country includes having the ability to overthrow its government should it become corrupt or otherwise rotten, if needed. And you cant do that without guns. Might not be able to do it with them anymore, either. That remains to be seen.
bobthehobo
Registered User
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:36 am
Location: USA

Post by bobthehobo »

People like the one you were talking about MrTorrance, are the ones that destroy the sport's image.
Kanuck
Former Team Member
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2001 9:33 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by Kanuck »

SynergyGN wrote: Oh boy. Where do I even start? Security of the country includes having the ability to overthrow its government should it become corrupt or otherwise rotten, if needed. And you cant do that without guns. Might not be able to do it with them anymore, either. That remains to be seen.

You should live further south. You'd fit in better. I hear they've got some real nice rubber rooms down there, and Reynolds sells special tin foil specially designed to block out the mind control rays.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
teatottler
Registered User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:58 pm
Location: http://www.PollingVote.com
Contact:

Wow, who knew

Post by teatottler »

I play paintball, or used to play paintball, (I think I have one or maybe a hundred more games in me - 53yold) but I think that the police and government are going to look at this not as the same way as guns. There are not many deaths related to paintball, guns are different. Load a gun and shoot and very serious damage is going to happen to live tissue..

Yes, if there are bands of hooligans running around on the streets trying to practice being gang members by painting the town..... hmmmm yes there will be stiffer and stiffer regulations and stiffer and stiffer fines.

But as long as there are people on this earth there are going to be stupid people... people that feel they can not communicate with the world in a normal way and feel they have to pick up a stick, a rock, a baseball bat, a knife, a paintball gun, a gun, a nucular weapon..... and communicate how disfunctional they are..

We play paintball so that when stupid people play with guns then we know how to protect ourselves, and hopefully teach ourselves that the "Rambo" tendancy in us will lead to an early grave.

We play paintball to learn and grow... but that does not mean all people will do the same. It really sucks that this is happening to you all that want to enjoy the sport and are mature enough to do things right, sorry shit happens. It happens to other things that we enjoy too.
Never Stopppppppp
Canis_Latrans
Registered User
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:42 am

Post by Canis_Latrans »

SynergyGN wrote: Security of the country includes having the ability to overthrow its government should it become corrupt or otherwise rotten, if needed. And you cant do that without guns.


I think you should take a closer look at the United States' army. Clearly any civilian militia would overpowered quite easily.
User avatar
onigumo
Registered User
Posts: 1755
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:32 am
Contact:

Post by onigumo »

Canis_Latrans wrote: Clearly any civilian militia would overpowered quite easily.


That should definetely go without saying. Unfortunately, many find themselves having to point it out.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”