Anybody a Musician

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Does playing around with Acid count?

I've attempted and failed with many instruments. Now I either listen to music or put something together in Acid

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Mainly a guitarist/singer/songwriter, but I play almost evertything else lol :) (drums, keyboard, piano, baritone)
Been playing about 12 years - mainly accoustic as I love the sound, but I do have 3 electrics just now. Mostly self taught, but my old guitar teacher from primary/high school gets biggest cred for teaching me the basics (and putting up with me ;))

My baby: Ibanez RGX170 (metalic purple).
My first: Jim Deacon strat copy (san-papered black, but you can't see if for the stickers :P).
My other 1: Hohner Rockwood (red, but again can't see it for the stickers).
I have a Jim Deacon electro and a red Valencia (cheap, but the sound is amazing)

My amp atm is only a shitty Ibanez 15watt acoustic, but I'm sticking everything into my compy just now to record -- got myself a Terratec DMX 6fire :lol:
Use Cubase SX to record / mix, although I used to use college studios. I miss that course.

Got a few songs done already and an EP (partially) released. If you want to have a listen, click on the 'music & stats' link in my sig :)

And Anon, I would say Acid is ok. I heard a track a friend of mine made on that -- is was so cool :o
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Regarding amplification, I just pipe the output from my FX pedal to the mic input of my sound card (Creative Audigy 2). That was I can easily play along to other music. My headphones handle the bass magnificantly too (Technics RP-F350), which is brilliant for playing at night when everyone else is alseep.

Edit: Just got my new bass (silver). :mrgreen:

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Draegonis wrote: Regarding amplification, I just pipe the output from my FX pedal to the mic input of my sound card (Creative Audigy 2).
Line-In PLS. @_____________@
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

I don't have a pre-amp. :(

FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Grar, get one.

btw, seckseh bass :3
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.

M@tR|x

Post by M@tR|x »

I'm a classically trained pianist, been playing for about 13 years now. I have my own baby grand, which takes up half the living room :D The lack of time in my life at the moment has meant I have less time to play baroque/classical/romantic music, and so i've turned to jazz improvisation, which i'm enjoying muchly. I passed my grade 8 piano when i was 15 ^_^. I also play the sax, grade 4 after about a year of playing (I don't know if anyone here knows how grades work, but grade 8 is the most difficult one to obtain seeings as there are only 8 grades :P) oh....and i'm teaching myself the guitar, I know a few chords at the moment, but i'm learning...

pianistsk8er

Post by pianistsk8er »

Thank you M@tr|x, I wasn't going to post anything here until I read your post. I believe my website and this image should say it all for me... 8)

8) I've played piano for 8 years now, doing my ninth grade exam this year. I play almost all grades of music, into ARCT, against my teacher's wishes. 8) Glad to see another classical musician amidst all the more modern types of music lovers! :)

M@tR|x

Post by M@tR|x »

ninth grade eh? Care to explain the grade system in your neck of the woods?

pianistsk8er

Post by pianistsk8er »

Hehe, in a nutshell, there are 10 grades where they separate a wide variety of pieces from extremely easy to moderately difficult. ARCT follows where they have placed almost all the difficult pieces (like Chopin Ballades or Etudes, etc.) It's the Royal Conservatory of Music (Canadian) system. ;)

Bobboes

Post by Bobboes »

drums here, almost 5 years, gimme anything, drum set, snare drum anything, i will rock it up!
Visit my band's website here!

We'll fight on, to move on
No white flag will be shown

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

pianistsk8er wrote: Hehe, in a nutshell, there are 10 grades where they separate a wide variety of pieces from extremely easy to moderately difficult. ARCT follows where they have placed almost all the difficult pieces (like Chopin Ballades or Etudes, etc.) It's the Royal Conservatory of Music (Canadian) system. ;)

Word to the conservatory.

I got my grade three in six months. Then I stopped playing. Twas boring... definite props to anybody who has the patience to learn a real instrument. I just prefer to take out my aggression by hitting things.

Drummers: come on now, I give a nice description of my setup, and I get model from TC and that's it? Give me some love. What do you play?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

For anyone interested, here's a pic of the basic model of my guitar:

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/ce.html

click the colour "emerald green" to see what colour mine is however.

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Magnotta wrote: For anyone interested, here's a pic of the basic model of my guitar:

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/ce.html

click the colour "emerald green" to see what colour mine is however.

Nice, I've played on one of those.

Personally I've been thinking about buying a Jackson KVX10 or an ESP/LTD DV8-R for a long time now.. it sucks not having any money.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Kanuck wrote: I've got a set of Pearl Forum Series from late 2002, in what would be best described as metallic green.

It looks like they've added a few bonuses to that series since then, since I've still got a strap-driven bass pedal and a crappy throne that doesn't hold its height. All of the skins are still Pearl, which is unfortunate. However I did add a Sabian AAX 14" Studio Crash on a Dixon boom stand, and a very used pair of Sabian B8 hi-hats for a nice old school sound. The 13x11 rack tom sits on the floor, unused.

It would be awesome to pour some money into this kit and get new skins, a nice double-bass pedal, a decent ride cymbal and a throne that lives up to the name. For now though, it gets the job done.

Nooo, don't join the great unwashed double bass pedal masses!
I just bought myself a new single pedal, based on the (rather stupid) feelings of self rightiousness that I get from playing very quickly with only the one pedal.
I don't quite understand it either :P

My set is also Pearl, it's an Export, probably from around 1995ish in Alphine greeen:
http://www.keeprolling.co.uk/images_dan/drums.jpg
Since that was taken I've got a new set of heads (Evans G2's, mmmm), a new pedal, and a splash. The setup isn't quite as dodgey either :?

And of course:
MOER COWBELL!!!1

Dan

Return to “General Discussion”