Opinions On Drugs

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

ThE-UnknowN wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: How do you ensure that it "is in moderation and they know what they are doing?"

It seems to me that the realistic net effect of your recommendation is that people would be allowed to whatever they want with drugs regardless of whether it is in moderation, whether they know what they're doing, or whether they harm others.

Moderation being you are still sufficiently in control to know whats going on - to be aware that you are not a nuisance, and still able to make it back home on your own without any trouble.

Once you feel you are not going to be in sufficient control, you stop doing whatever it is. I don't know about others, but when I drink, and am drinking alot with my buddies, I know when the next drink will tip me over and I stop before the next drink.

Works fine for me. 8)

That doesn't actually answer the question. He said that it should only be allowed in moderation, which implies that it should not be allowed otherwise, and I'm pointing out that this is an impossible rule to enforce. You may have your own personal self-judgement about whether you do it in moderation, but that is not an enforceable rule either; that's just personal judgement.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

Darth Wong wrote: That doesn't actually answer the question. He said that it should only be allowed in moderation, which implies that it should not be allowed otherwise, and I'm pointing out that this is an impossible rule to enforce. You may have your own personal self-judgement about whether you do it in moderation, but that is not an enforceable rule either; that's just personal judgement.

Agreed that it is difficult to gauge / have an actual rule stating what is moderation for everyone. Furthermore, an amount which does not affect one person may be too much for others.

I know of friends like that, who can drink much more then anyone else, and still be sober, and there are some who will be knocked out on 2 glasses.
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

Wicked12

Post by Wicked12 »

I wouldn't not even touch the stuff if I was still in High School. Its like alcohol, so you should wait to be the age of at least 21 IMHO. Its more enjoying to wait anyways. Whats the fun having to hide to drink a beer when your young, when your old it feels more rewarding drinking anywhere you like, although I dont drink at all.

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Wicked12 wrote: Its like alcohol, so you should wait to be the age of at least 21 IMHO.

Here in Canada, you only have to be 19, and in some places in Europe and such, even younger.

Xamence

Post by Xamence »

Yes, I think the restrictions are lower in the UK, atleast.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Xamence wrote: Yes, I think the restrictions are lower in the UK, atleast.

You can drink in your own home from 5, drink in public with a meal from 16, and drink wherever you want from 18.
It seems more or less perfect...

Xamence

Post by Xamence »

I know. But I don't advise drinking at all.

mandangi
I've Been Banned!
Location: Razole, Razole taluqa, East Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh, India

Re: Opinions On Drugs

Post by mandangi »

Xamence wrote: I think that drugs (alcohol in particular) should not be sold to under 20 year olds. Although it may be tempting to have a pint, or whatever, I still stick with my old opinion. I won't take drugs until I am 20, that's for sure.

My age is 22. I am not attracted to alcohol. Even smell of alcohol disgusts me. In my view alcohol is not good for people of any age.

JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

Getting drunk is sinful.

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

JustinSL wrote: Getting drunk is sinful.

Cool.
*Gets Beer*

Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

JustinSL wrote: Getting drunk is sinful.

:roll: Says who?

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Canis_Latrans wrote:
JustinSL wrote:Getting drunk is sinful.

:roll: Says who?

The word "sinful" tends to be reserved for people whose religions say that something is wrong because a book says so. But ethically speaking, if no one ever got drunk, there would be thousands fewer traffic fatalities on the road every year, not to mention far fewer problems with domestic abuse and "heat of the moment" violence, both of which are also linked to alcohol abuse. So if you lend any weight to the "universal ethics" principle at all, then you could definitely say that drunkenness is unethical.

PS. For those who don't know, the "universal ethics" aka "duty ethics" principle is the idea that you should ask whether it would be good or bad if everybody followed a certain rule.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”