Opinions On Drugs

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Drug: anything that alters the way the mind or body works / a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic

Guy on street: Pssst, yeah, you.
Guy looking for a good time: You got something for me?
Guy on street: Yeah, I got drugs.
Guy looking for a good time: What you got?
Guy on street: Some Tylenol, man.
Guy looking for a good time: Extra strength?
Guy on street: Yeah, this stuff is potent.
Guy looking for a good time: (glances over his shoulder) I'll take 24 tablets.
Guy on street: Dude, for a limited time you can get 10 percent more, free!
Guy looking for a good time: Set me up.

Point? Come on folks, you know what a guy means when he's talking about drugs.

That said, there are some perscription drugs (sometimes sold illegally on the street) that act like illicit drugs.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

g0liatH

Post by g0liatH »

I promised myself never to start smoking. and I won't. same with drugs.

I see enough people with cancer or completely addicted.

Anyway, I'm not sure yet if I will occasionally drink beer :P
I create phpBB styles matching your site. example: Tomorrows Designers
pm for more info.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

adamsmark wrote:
MennoniteHobbit wrote:Drug: anything that alters the way the mind or body works / a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic

Guy on street: Pssst, yeah, you.
Guy looking for a good time: You got something for me?
Guy on street: Yeah, I got drugs.
Guy looking for a good time: What you got?
Guy on street: Some Tylenol, man.
Guy looking for a good time: Extra strength?
Guy on street: Yeah, this stuff is potent.
Guy looking for a good time: (glances over his shoulder) I'll take 24 tablets.
Guy on street: Dude, for a limited time you can get 10 percent more, free!
Guy looking for a good time: Set me up.

Point? Come on folks, you know what a guy means when he's talking about drugs.

That said, there are some perscription drugs (sometimes sold illegally on the street) that act like illicit drugs.

I know. I was just posting the definition because people were defining other things as drugs, like "double posting."

I for one have been clean and always will be.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Xamence

Post by Xamence »

g0liatH wrote: I promised myself never to start smoking. and I won't. same with drugs.

I also drink beer, but rarely. Beer is okay though.

But smoking physically damages your organs; brain, lungs, heart etc. I guess beer would a little, but visibally not as much as smoking. Drugs and smoking also waste hundreds of pounds with some people.

pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Pit wrote: FYI, you can drink alcohol at home from the age of 5 in the UK.
Hmm... I'm not sure whether that's legal, but sod it, we've all done it :D

There again, I'm 12 and hate alcohol...

Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

pulling his hair wrote: Hmm... I'm not sure whether that's legal, but sod it, we've all done it :D

Read what he said, not what you think he said. One can legally drink alcohol in one's own home with parental permission, from the age of 5 in the UK.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Xamence wrote:
g0liatH wrote:I promised myself never to start smoking. and I won't. same with drugs.

But smoking physically damages your organs; brain, lungs, heart etc. I guess beer would a little, but visibally not as much as smoking. Drugs and smoking also waste hundreds of pounds with some people.

You get into pretty murky territory when you try to compare the destructive effects of smoking and alcohol. According to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), tobacco causes approximately 400,000 deaths per year in the United States, while alcohol causes approximately 75,000 deaths per year in the United States. It's a smaller figure, but not so much smaller that a drinker should feel too much moral superiority over a smoker. Especially given the horrific manner in which drunk drivers can affect innocent people (and drunk pregnant women can injure their babies just like smoking pregnant women; in an imaginary ideal world, pregnant women and their husbands would be forbidden to smoke or drink for the duration of their pregnancy, assuming they actually plan to have the child).

Of course, since I've never smoked and I haven't had a drink in at least a year, it's easy for me to say "don't smoke or drink". After all, as many will point out, I'm not addicted and I don't understand what it's like. Fair enough, but the numbers are still there, and while I can't say that I know what it's like, I can say how destructive it is.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Draegonis wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure whether that's legal, but sod it, we've all done it :D

Read what he said, not what you think he said. One can legally drink alcohol in one's own home with parental permission, from the age of 5 in the UK.
Mainly from me forgetting what FYI means...

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Well, it's not always the alcohol itself that kills... it's just the stuff that people do while drinking alcohol and being drunk.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR »

And the drugs are drugs only when used massively. Drugs can be a life saver or a pain saver, if they are used carefully and medically, and can be a disaster if someone have the bad idea to eat the same drug but for an amount of 100x more than safe...
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Well, it's not always the alcohol itself that kills... it's just the stuff that people do while drinking alcohol and being drunk.

Very true. However, that distinction is somewhat meaningless when asking whether the hypothetical elimination of this substance would prevent these problems. Of course, we learned during Prohibition that alcohol addicts will never tolerate this and are perfectly willing to kill people or financially support killers in order to get their "fix", but that simply underscores the fact that alcohol is a drug with an incredibly powerful hold over people.

G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

Draegonis wrote:
pulling his hair wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure whether that's legal, but sod it, we've all done it :D

I used to always quote this law. It's something I found out a fair while ago and it has always stuck. The problem with it is that it is illegal to buy alcohol for anyone under the age of 18 so there could be different interpretations of this
Yoxio.com :: Free Image Hosting
"OSX: The $2000 operating system with a free computer"

Xamence

Post by Xamence »

Darth Wong wrote:
Xamence wrote:
g0liatH wrote:I promised myself never to start smoking. and I won't. same with drugs.

You get into pretty murky territory when you try to compare the destructive effects of smoking and alcohol. According to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), tobacco causes approximately 400,000 deaths per year in the United States, while alcohol causes approximately 75,000 deaths per year in the United States. It's a smaller figure, but not so much smaller that a drinker should feel too much moral superiority over a smoker. Especially given the horrific manner in which drunk drivers can affect innocent people (and drunk pregnant women can injure their babies just like smoking pregnant women; in an imaginary ideal world, pregnant women and their husbands would be forbidden to smoke or drink for the duration of their pregnancy, assuming they actually plan to have the child).

Of course, since I've never smoked and I haven't had a drink in at least a year, it's easy for me to say "don't smoke or drink". After all, as many will point out, I'm not addicted and I don't understand what it's like. Fair enough, but the numbers are still there, and while I can't say that I know what it's like, I can say how destructive it is.

But smoking would probably have more impact on a person's death. I mean, some people get drunk every week, or perhaps more, and never get damaged in any way. As stated somewhere above, it's not the actual alcohol that kills, but the things you do with it. And in some matters, people don't do anything. Smoking only addicts you and gets you into troubles with heart disease, lung cancer you name it. Having said that, alcohol alters your brains functions horifically. I saw on the news that people started peeling their skin off, thinking they were oranges. :| Which was caused by drunkness.

William R

Post by William R »

Drugs are bad mmmmm Kay

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Xamence wrote: But smoking would probably have more impact on a person's death. I mean, some people get drunk every week, or perhaps more, and never get damaged in any way. As stated somewhere above, it's not the actual alcohol that kills, but the things you do with it. And in some matters, people don't do anything. Smoking only addicts you and gets you into troubles with heart disease, lung cancer you name it. Having said that, alcohol alters your brains functions horifically. I saw on the news that people started peeling their skin off, thinking they were oranges. :| Which was caused by drunkness.

According to the CDC:
The Centre for Disease Control wrote: Excessive drinking, including binge and heavy drinking, has numerous chronic (long-term) and acute (short-term) health effects. Chronic health consequences of excessive drinking can include liver cirrhosis (damage to liver cells); pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas); various cancers, including cancer of the liver, mouth, throat, larynx (the voice box), and esophagus; high blood pressure; and psychological disorders. Acute health consequences of excessive drinking can include motor vehicle injuries, falls, domestic violence, rape, and child abuse (Naimi, 2003).

Alcohol has destructive effects both through direct chemical means (similar to tobacco) and behavioural changes (separating a drunk's behaviour from the alcohol is something of a hair-splitting exercise because the behaviour is affected by the alcohol).

The CDC pegs the number of deaths attributable to alcohol lower than those attributable to tobacco, but it's still pretty hard not to be disturbed by 75,000 deaths per year.

Return to “General Discussion”