Opinions On Drugs

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
User avatar
Anaximander Thales
Registered User
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:05 am
Location: Alabama

Post by Anaximander Thales »

Darth Wong wrote: I'm no more anti-pot than I am anti-tobacco (which is to say that I don't think either of them is a good idea, but I acknowledge that outright bans would cause more problems than they solve), but I have never liked this kind of argument. You hear it all the time on social issues, and it always takes the form "I experienced <insert subject here>, and I turned out just fine."


Well, I wouldn't use that argument (I experienced <insert subject here>, and I turned out just fine.) for most debates. My point to Mr. C was that there are at least 2 people who didn't turn out to be losers in many other peoples eyes. I would say that quite a few MILD (and I would consider Magnotta and myself mild drug users) drug users turn out to be losers. So his statement of "Drugs are for losers who can't handle their problems in life, and need an easy way out." was not entirely true.

Mr. C could have said several things and had accurate statements:
Most people who do drugs tend to be losers
- or -
The people I've met that use drugs are total losers

He may believe that I'm a loser, but chances are if he ran into me he would never know that I smoked weed in my past.

But, yes - you're points are accurate. But, I can provide notarized proof from friends and family members of friends that will attest to how good of a person I am ;-)
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Magnotta
Former Team Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Ontario

Post by Magnotta »

Darth Wong wrote:
Anaximander Thales wrote:To show agreeance Magnotta - I used weed for the exact same reasons. I turned out a perfectly sane, well adjusted, contributing, respected member of society.

I'm no more anti-pot than I am anti-tobacco (which is to say that I don't think either of them is a good idea, but I acknowledge that outright bans would cause more problems than they solve), but I have never liked this kind of argument. You hear it all the time on social issues, and it always takes the form "I experienced <insert subject here>, and I turned out just fine."


I see your point, however my whole point of the "I turned out fine" argument (and I believe Anaximander Thales posts as well) was to show that that there are people that do. Had Mr.C said "well most drug users blah blah blah" or "a high percentage blah blah", things would be different, but his wording was clearly an "ALL people who have used dugs" sort of thing. Now, I normally wouldn't care, except for the fact that attacking everyone with his comments is also an attack on me and my life as well then.
The problem with this argument is twofold:
  1. You might not be the best judge of how well you turned out as a person; it is obvious that self-judgement has precious little objectivity by nature.


True enough, which is why I tried my best to judge others which I know in my argument rather than myself personally. Take for instance my point of how my friends did in school, as I focused on them rather than saying "oh it didn't effect me at all" as I know already that saying something like that would be flawed. Keep in mind also that I have seen this with many others as well, but moving on to the next point....
[*]All social patterns are the result of probabilities rather than black/white, hard and fast laws. For virtually any given harmful lifestyle activity or condition, you can find people who became successful in spite of it. This does not refute the assertion that it is harmful. Lance Armstrong became very successful despite brain cancer, but no one in his right mind would use him in order to prove that brain cancer isn't bad for you.[/list]


Of course no one would say such a thing about brain cancer, but if you were to sub in Mr.C's argument it would be like saying "well all people that get brain cancer have no hope in life, and might as well give up, and the cancer will spread and destroy their brain making them complete idiots" where my points are to be like a "well, despite the problems, there are those who choose to not let the cancer effect them in a nagative way, and will continue on with their life as best they can, and in some instances can still become very succsessfull". Am I saying it helped them? No, of course not, as that would be just asinine, but the point was not to say it helped, but to show that not 100% succumb to the downside of these things always.

moving on now to Mr.C........
Last edited by Magnotta on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnotta
Former Team Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Ontario

Post by Magnotta »

Mr. C wrote:
Magnotta wrote: so why did I? simple, at first I was just curious. No peer pressure, no depression pushing me to it, i was curious as to how it would feel.

What made you curious, if not stories from losers who enjoyed it?


perhaps hearing about the effects of the drug? Oh, and not from dumbasses on the road either, you can hear simply on tv or even in the classroom about the effects of marijuana, and it intrigued me to try. Of course, that someone could develop an opinion for themself without being forced to by a bunch of loosers seems completely lost on you, but either way....
Magnotta wrote: First time I tried was at a concert.

Yeah, a concert, really sounds like an experiment, no friends or pressure there at all...


hmmm, did I say "I had no friends around"? Hmmmm, I can't seem to find that part. And no, there was no pressure, as I didn't have people around going "hey, want to try this?" or anything. It was there, I was curious, so I tried, my own choice. Did I have any obligation to do it in order to fit in? None whatsoever as there were plenty of people who didn't and got treated just the same.
Magnotta wrote: After that, me and my buddies really only got high to listen to music or watch movies and stuff like that, or just socially, ya know, hanging around on a friday nightt, smoke a few joints and discuss how the week went and so forth.

Again, with your friends.


and again I wasn't pressured. As well, there were plenty of people who :roll:would hang out with us that didn't get high. Were they treated any different? No, we treated them the same, and never pushed them to try. Some of them had issues with the idea of it having to be smoked, and so we respected that and just let it be.
Magnotta wrote: As for depressing loosers looking for a way out, me and my buddies made it a point to NOT smoke if we were feeling sad or depressed or anything as to avoid the situation where people use drugs as an escape.

Sure you did. I bet it was your daily goal.


Yes, because all day all I could ever think about was "weed, weed, weed" :roll:, seriously, think about what you actually say.
Magnotta wrote: Most of us played intruments, so sometimes we'd get high and jam, ya know, just to see what we could come up with, and we recorded it a few times and actually came up with some pretty interesting music.

If it was as good as the Beatles, keep it up. If not, I don't care.


I don't really care if you wouldn't have liked the music me made, and chances are you don't like the music I listen to now. As such, that point is invalid, as there are people out there who don't like the Beatles(they're just outnumbered by a greater majority that do lol)
Magnotta wrote: In the end, we got high, it was the same as when families get togther on holidays and drink.

If it was the same, you probably would have drank instead. It's cheaper and legal.


Cheaper? Wtf are you talking about? Have you not gone down to your liquor store recently? For a group of people, getting a bit or marijuana is a lot cheaper than getting a few bottles or 2 cases of beer. That's not to say we couldn't afford it, and sometimes we did drink(when there's less people, and could therefore just get one case), but for the most part, cheaper isn't a word you should use when comparing alcohol to marijuana.
Magnotta wrote: Did we injure our lungs? sure, a bit of course, but it's not like smokers who smoke at leaast half a pack of cigrarette's a day, everyday, usually more than half a pack.

You didn't injure your lungs as much as a life-long coal miner either, but you still did.


I know we still did, I didn't deny it. At least though by only smoking in someones basement we weren't out and about hurtting other people's lungs. But either way, I didn't deny we hirt our lungs, so your point there was?
Magnotta wrote: Did we get addicted? no, of course not since it was marijuana.

You clearly know nothing about what addiction is.


:roll:, ok then, please enlighten me about how addicted I am/was, and how we were complete junkies.After all, you seem to know people better than they know themselves, so please enlighten us all.
Magnotta wrote: I mean, there were times when I'd get high everyday of the week, and then not get high for a month, and it was nothing, like I never even noticed a change.

Sure you did.


As per above, please tell me how I felt. I'd really like to know what my own feelings are. Now if only we all had your amazing jedi abilities to read minds and sense fellings. The force is with you young Skywalker :roll:
Magnotta wrote: Did we suddenly start becomming outcasts in society? uhh no.

No, because you already said all your friends did it too. Had you been alone, the situation would have been different.


Ok, then on the flipside, why were all those who didn't smoke up treated equally? Maybe, just maybe, it was because people can tolerate eachother and not everyone is as closed minded as the person I'm replying to here. Heck, I once admitted at a Christian convention that I'm an atheist. Want to know how many people cared? None. And when it comes to a situation of being an outcast, the convention situation has a lot more potential to bring about negative reactions than a few kid's getting high, and yet there were none. Perhaps it's because in this day and age people are not as closed minded to completely shun those different. Oh, and as something that may strike you as odd, a large number of those people at that Christian convention also smoked pot. Go figure, eh?(*btw, for anyone wondering what I was doing at a Christian convention despiet being an atheist, let me put it this way: the convention was in Vancouver, and I was asked by the youth group at my parents church to come along, all I had to do was help fundraise a few times, and the trip was free, so essentially it was for a completely free trip to Vancouver.)
Magnotta wrote: Did we suddenly start doing really bad in school(which is often a claim)? No, in fact one of my friends who'd get high with us graduated with one of the highest averages in our school,

So he was lucky. Pot does make people do worse in school, this is one fact I am sure of.


Sure it does, it makes a lot of people do bad in school. And you know what, I've seen instances of it happening, happy now? The whole point was to show that not everyone does, as you so like to assume.
Magnotta wrote: and 2 of the guys went to a seperate school where only "gifted" kids are allowed to go, and both graduated with extremely high averages.

Gifted, eh?


yes, gifted, as in a school for children that have a high IQ, as a place where they can learn at a faster pace with harder work.
Magnotta wrote: As well, we are not an isolated incident either, and most people I've came across and talked to were/are very similar to how we were.

You mean losers?


Yes yes, complete losers :roll: , if it's all you want to believe, go ahead, not my problem, as you live across the country from me pretty much. In my school alone however I knew of 3 teachers who smoke marijuana, and about 4 more where the at the very least did so in their youth, so I hope you feel comfortable knowing that in the future(or possibly present) your children may/will end up getting taught by at leats 1 teacher who smokes/has smoked marijuana. Please make sure to tell him/her to call their teacher a looser and ignore everything they say, and be completely ignorant of everything they are taught, as doing anything otherwise would be hyprocritical. As well, since you hinted that liked the Beatles, please go now and burn all your old Beatles records(or cassettes or cd's), especially that good old Sgt.Peppers album, as to ever listen to those again would be to listen to the music of complete loosers. I'm sure with that in mind you believe John Lennon deserved to be shot, as how could anyone who does drugs ever do something competent with their life :roll:
Again, I see no poin in all that.


Glad you see no point in anything, however then why did you ask in the first place why I tried marijuana? Thank you though, you lack of having any point to all this effectively wasted both our time, and your complete ignorance to absolutely anything and everything has made me quite a bit more cynical now. I'm sure though the reason you see no point at all though however is because you were hoping that everything I wrote would be a complete mess, as to prove your point, and so the fact that I can make a sentence angers you. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Mr. C
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mr. C »

edit, read below
Last edited by Mr. C on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. C
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mr. C »

Magnotta wrote:
Mr. C wrote:
Magnotta wrote: so why did I? simple, at first I was just curious. No peer pressure, no depression pushing me to it, i was curious as to how it would feel.

What made you curious, if not stories from losers who enjoyed it?


perhaps hearing about the effects of the drug? Oh, and not from dumbasses on the road either, you can hear simply on tv or even in the classroom about the effects of marijuana, and it intrigued me to try. Of course, that someone could develop an opinion for themself without being forced to by a bunch of loosers seems completely lost on you, but either way....

It's spelled losers.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: First time I tried was at a concert.

Yeah, a concert, really sounds like an experiment, no friends or pressure there at all...


hmmm, did I say "I had no friends around"? Hmmmm, I can't seem to find that part. And no, there was no pressure, as I didn't have people around going "hey, want to try this?" or anything. It was there, I was curious, so I tried, my own choice. Did I have any obligation to do it in order to fit in? None whatsoever as there were plenty of people who didn't and got treated just the same.

Still seems strange that you would pick such a social occasion to try it for the first time.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: After that, me and my buddies really only got high to listen to music or watch movies and stuff like that, or just socially, ya know, hanging around on a friday nightt, smoke a few joints and discuss how the week went and so forth.

Again, with your friends.


and again I wasn't pressured. As well, there were plenty of people who :roll: would hang out with us that didn't get high. Were they treated any different? No, we treated them the same, and never pushed them to try. Some of them had issues with the idea of it having to be smoked, and so we respected that and just let it be.

Then you were different from 95% of teenagers, or at least, teenagers today.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: As for depressing loosers looking for a way out, me and my buddies made it a point to NOT smoke if we were feeling sad or depressed or anything as to avoid the situation where people use drugs as an escape.

Sure you did. I bet it was your daily goal.


Yes, because all day all I could ever think about was "weed, weed, weed" :roll: , seriously, think about what you actually say.

I never said that... just that I doubt you made it a plan to avoid smoking it in situations when you felt sad.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Most of us played intruments, so sometimes we'd get high and jam, ya know, just to see what we could come up with, and we recorded it a few times and actually came up with some pretty interesting music.

If it was as good as the Beatles, keep it up. If not, I don't care.


I don't really care if you wouldn't have liked the music me made, and chances are you don't like the music I listen to now. As such, that point is invalid, as there are people out there who don't like the Beatles(they're just outnumbered by a greater majority that do lol)

The Beatles was an example. Ok, let me rephrase. Unless you made some great music like [insert any popular band], I don't care. It wouldn't be worth it for me. You're obviously different from me.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: In the end, we got high, it was the same as when families get togther on holidays and drink.

If it was the same, you probably would have drank instead. It's cheaper and legal.


Cheaper? Wtf are you talking about? Have you not gone down to your liquor store recently? For a group of people, getting a bit or marijuana is a lot cheaper than getting a few bottles or 2 cases of beer. That's not to say we couldn't afford it, and sometimes we did drink(when there's less people, and could therefore just get one case), but for the most part, cheaper isn't a word you should use when comparing alcohol to marijuana.

Sorry sir, I don't buy it regularly.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we injure our lungs? sure, a bit of course, but it's not like smokers who smoke at leaast half a pack of cigrarette's a day, everyday, usually more than half a pack.

You didn't injure your lungs as much as a life-long coal miner either, but you still did.


I know we still did, I didn't deny it. At least though by only smoking in someones basement we weren't out and about hurtting other people's lungs. But either way, I didn't deny we hirt our lungs, so your point there was?

My point was you passed off hurting you lungs as nothing because regular smokers hurt them more than you did. Did you really not understand that?
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we get addicted? no, of course not since it was marijuana.

You clearly know nothing about what addiction is.


:roll:, ok then, please enlighten me about how addicted I am/was, and how we were complete junkies.After all, you seem to know people better than they know themselves, so please enlighten us all.

Junkies? No. Psychologically addicted? Almost certainly.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: I mean, there were times when I'd get high everyday of the week, and then not get high for a month, and it was nothing, like I never even noticed a change.

Sure you did.


As per above, please tell me how I felt. I'd really like to know what my own feelings are. Now if only we all had your amazing jedi abilities to read minds and sense fellings. The force is with you young Skywalker :roll:

You can't do anything daily for a long period of time, then not do it for a month, and not notice a change. Especially not something you seemed to enjoy so much.
Magnotta wrote: Ok, then on the flipside, why were all those who didn't smoke up treated equally? Maybe, just maybe, it was because people can tolerate eachother and not everyone is as closed minded as the person I'm replying to here. Heck, I once admitted at a Christian convention that I'm an atheist.

That's so different from this topic it's not even worth discussing.
Magnotta wrote: Oh, and as something that may strike you as odd, a large number of those people at that Christian convention also smoked pot.

Point?

Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we suddenly start doing really bad in school(which is often a claim)? No, in fact one of my friends who'd get high with us graduated with one of the highest averages in our school,

So he was lucky. Pot does make people do worse in school, this is one fact I am sure of.


Sure it does, it makes a lot of people do bad in school. And you know what, I've seen instances of it happening, happy now? The whole point was to show that not everyone does, as you so like to assume.

Again, I never said everyone, but it's true for the majority.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: As well, we are not an isolated incident either, and most people I've came across and talked to were/are very similar to how we were.

You mean losers?


Yes yes, complete losers :roll: , if it's all you want to believe, go ahead, not my problem, as you live across the country from me pretty much. In my school alone however I knew of 3 teachers who smoke marijuana, and about 4 more where the at the very least did so in their youth, so I hope you feel comfortable knowing that in the future(or possibly present) your children may/will end up getting taught by at leats 1 teacher who smokes/has smoked marijuana. Please make sure to tell him/her to call their teacher a looser and ignore everything they say, and be completely ignorant of everything they are taught, as doing anything otherwise would be hyprocritical.

The teachers that made it are the small percent of non-loser lucky people that managed to do, still haven't quit, and are still ok. I have no problem with them. I have no problem with most adults who smoke pot and have a decent job. It's teens who are still in school (aka without a future and still learining) that I have a problem with if they smoke it.
Magnotta wrote:
Again, I see no poin in all that.


Glad you see no point in anything, however then why did you ask in the first place why I tried marijuana? Thank you though, you lack of having any point to all this effectively wasted both our time, and your complete ignorance to absolutely anything and everything has made me quite a bit more cynical now. I'm sure though the reason you see no point at all though however is because you were hoping that everything I wrote would be a complete mess, as to prove your point, and so the fact that I can make a sentence angers you. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I asked because you commented on how I ignored the rest of your post.
Have you forgotten already? Marijuana does strange things to the brain...

Magnotta
Former Team Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Ontario

Post by Magnotta »

Mr. C wrote:
Magnotta wrote:
Mr. C wrote:
Magnotta wrote: so why did I? simple, at first I was just curious. No peer pressure, no depression pushing me to it, i was curious as to how it would feel.

What made you curious, if not stories from losers who enjoyed it?


perhaps hearing about the effects of the drug? Oh, and not from dumbasses on the road either, you can hear simply on tv or even in the classroom about the effects of marijuana, and it intrigued me to try. Of course, that someone could develop an opinion for themself without being forced to by a bunch of loosers seems completely lost on you, but either way....

It's spelled losers.


.....thank you...please notice that I didn't point out the fact that spelt "point" wrong in your previous post. Seems kind of childish doesn't it? As well, it is getting late where I am and I'm starting to get tired, so don't comment on any spelling mistakes I may make in the rest of this post as a result of that.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: First time I tried was at a concert.

Yeah, a concert, really sounds like an experiment, no friends or pressure there at all...


hmmm, did I say "I had no friends around"? Hmmmm, I can't seem to find that part. And no, there was no pressure, as I didn't have people around going "hey, want to try this?" or anything. It was there, I was curious, so I tried, my own choice. Did I have any obligation to do it in order to fit in? None whatsoever as there were plenty of people who didn't and got treated just the same.

Still seems strange that you would pick such a social occasion to try it for the first time.


Perhaps for you, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: After that, me and my buddies really only got high to listen to music or watch movies and stuff like that, or just socially, ya know, hanging around on a friday nightt, smoke a few joints and discuss how the week went and so forth.

Again, with your friends.


and again I wasn't pressured. As well, there were plenty of people who :roll: would hang out with us that didn't get high. Were they treated any different? No, we treated them the same, and never pushed them to try. Some of them had issues with the idea of it having to be smoked, and so we respected that and just let it be.

Then you were different from 95% of teenagers, or at least, teenagers today.


Or I guess than the majority of my city is different. If so, good for us, just a better environment for use hear to live and grow up in.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: As for depressing loosers looking for a way out, me and my buddies made it a point to NOT smoke if we were feeling sad or depressed or anything as to avoid the situation where people use drugs as an escape.

Sure you did. I bet it was your daily goal.


Yes, because all day all I could ever think about was "weed, weed, weed" :roll: , seriously, think about what you actually say.

I never said that... just that I doubt you made it a plan to avoid smoking it in situations when you felt sad.


Yes, it does seem kind of strange doesn't it? However the point actually did come up with us, as one of my friends had developed Ostioperosis(spelling?) a few years back, and afterwards depression had at times become an issue for him.(side note: you'll be happy to know that recently his bone density has been getting higher). As such, it was something we actually ended up disucssing and keeping in mind.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Most of us played intruments, so sometimes we'd get high and jam, ya know, just to see what we could come up with, and we recorded it a few times and actually came up with some pretty interesting music.

If it was as good as the Beatles, keep it up. If not, I don't care.


I don't really care if you wouldn't have liked the music me made, and chances are you don't like the music I listen to now. As such, that point is invalid, as there are people out there who don't like the Beatles(they're just outnumbered by a greater majority that do lol)

The Beatles was an example. Ok, let me rephrase. Unless you made some great music like [insert any popular band], I don't care. It wouldn't be worth it for me. You're obviously different from me.


Fair enough, although still great music is something that only an individual can judge for themselves. I mean, I played in a band, and we had an owner at a place we were trying to play at email us back and say "your music is horrible, and has absolutely no value" or something along those lines. We also got another email from a small record label about a possible deal. So in the end it's open to your own preference(as for the deal, the band broke up a few months later).
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: In the end, we got high, it was the same as when families get togther on holidays and drink.

If it was the same, you probably would have drank instead. It's cheaper and legal.


Cheaper? Wtf are you talking about? Have you not gone down to your liquor store recently? For a group of people, getting a bit or marijuana is a lot cheaper than getting a few bottles or 2 cases of beer. That's not to say we couldn't afford it, and sometimes we did drink(when there's less people, and could therefore just get one case), but for the most part, cheaper isn't a word you should use when comparing alcohol to marijuana.

Sorry sir, I don't buy it regularly.


Fair enough. Just to inform then, it's most offen cheaper than alcohol.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we injure our lungs? sure, a bit of course, but it's not like smokers who smoke at leaast half a pack of cigrarette's a day, everyday, usually more than half a pack.

You didn't injure your lungs as much as a life-long coal miner either, but you still did.


I know we still did, I didn't deny it. At least though by only smoking in someones basement we weren't out and about hurtting other people's lungs. But either way, I didn't deny we hirt our lungs, so your point there was?

My point was you passed off hurting you lungs as nothing because regular smokers hurt them more than you did. Did you really not understand that?


Yes I did understand that, and my intent was not to just pass it over as nothing. I know I of course did some damage to my lungs, and I also do not have the attitude of "I don't care" as I do care. I also however am thankfull that I didn't damage them as much as I could have doing something else. Would no lung damage at all be the best scenerio? Of course, but since that is not the case I'm thankfull that the minimal damage possible happened.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we get addicted? no, of course not since it was marijuana.

You clearly know nothing about what addiction is.


:roll:, ok then, please enlighten me about how addicted I am/was, and how we were complete junkies.After all, you seem to know people better than they know themselves, so please enlighten us all.

Junkies? No. Psychologically addicted? Almost certainly.


I've seen people psychologically addicted, and as such know very well that we weren't. Like I said, it was no problem to just one day wake up and not do it again for weeks/months and not think about it. I have seen others though who say they need to get high everyday, so it really depends on the individual.
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: I mean, there were times when I'd get high everyday of the week, and then not get high for a month, and it was nothing, like I never even noticed a change.

Sure you did.


As per above, please tell me how I felt. I'd really like to know what my own feelings are. Now if only we all had your amazing jedi abilities to read minds and sense fellings. The force is with you young Skywalker :roll:

You can't do anything daily for a long period of time, then not do it for a month, and not notice a change. Especially not something you seemed to enjoy so much.


Sure I can, read above statement. The whole reason I stopped getting high really with my friends ws because I was starting to find it boring. As such, I had 2 choices: I could find some new friends and move onto harder drugs, or I could go do something more productive. I chose the later. I may still have a joint occaisonally with a friend or something every once in a while(ok, it's more so very rare), but I'm not pre-occupied with the idea at all, which is why those rare times happen only like once every 10-12 months or so.
Magnotta wrote:Ok, then on the flipside, why were all those who didn't smoke up treated equally? Maybe, just maybe, it was because people can tolerate eachother and not everyone is as closed minded as the person I'm replying to here. Heck, I once admitted at a Christian convention that I'm an atheist.

That's so different from this topic it's not even worth discussing.


Of course it's different, but still a similar situation of "people believe this-some of us do this-we all manage to get along anyways", which was what I was trying to show. Moving on though as there is no point to continue with this point...
Magnotta wrote:Oh, and as something that may strike you as odd, a large number of those people at that Christian convention also smoked pot.

Point?


No point, just something I figured I'd put out there before someone else decides to enter this topic using religion as some moral point against the use of marijuana.

Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: Did we suddenly start doing really bad in school(which is often a claim)? No, in fact one of my friends who'd get high with us graduated with one of the highest averages in our school,

So he was lucky. Pot does make people do worse in school, this is one fact I am sure of.


Sure it does, it makes a lot of people do bad in school. And you know what, I've seen instances of it happening, happy now? The whole point was to show that not everyone does, as you so like to assume.

Again, I never said everyone, but it's true for the majority.


Ok, well since you are not keeping this as an "everyone" thing, I shall move on...
Magnotta wrote:
Magnotta wrote: As well, we are not an isolated incident either, and most people I've came across and talked to were/are very similar to how we were.

You mean losers?


Yes yes, complete losers :roll: , if it's all you want to believe, go ahead, not my problem, as you live across the country from me pretty much. In my school alone however I knew of 3 teachers who smoke marijuana, and about 4 more where the at the very least did so in their youth, so I hope you feel comfortable knowing that in the future(or possibly present) your children may/will end up getting taught by at leats 1 teacher who smokes/has smoked marijuana. Please make sure to tell him/her to call their teacher a looser and ignore everything they say, and be completely ignorant of everything they are taught, as doing anything otherwise would be hyprocritical.

The teachers that made it are the small percent of non-loser lucky people that managed to do, still haven't quit, and are still ok. I have no problem with them. I have no problem with most adults who smoke pot and have a decent job. It's teens who are still in school (aka without a future and still learining) that I have a problem with if they smoke it.


Ok, but keep in mind that these respected adults that you don't mind started back when they themselves were in school without a future and still learning. I mean, chances are that they didn't start after they had a nice job and a family. Chances are that they themselves started back in school, and yet managed to become good, responible, respected members of the community. The whole point is how you handle using marijuana or drugs in the end, and these people obviously were able to not let it consume their lives, and were able to continue to study and learn quite effectively. Meh, either way, this point is going nowhere so moving on...
Magnotta wrote:
Again, I see no poin in all that.


Glad you see no point in anything, however then why did you ask in the first place why I tried marijuana? Thank you though, you lack of having any point to all this effectively wasted both our time, and your complete ignorance to absolutely anything and everything has made me quite a bit more cynical now. I'm sure though the reason you see no point at all though however is because you were hoping that everything I wrote would be a complete mess, as to prove your point, and so the fact that I can make a sentence angers you. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I asked because you commented on how I ignored the rest of your post.
Have you forgotten already? Marijuana does strange things to the brain...
[/quote]

I commented on how you ignored my post because you originally asked me why I started smoking marijuana. Had you not asked I would not have posted about it. Since you asked, and since I posted, I figured the least you could do is not ignore my post as otherwise me posting was a complete waste of my time.
Last edited by Magnotta on Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicked12
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:46 pm
Contact:

Post by Wicked12 »

Everyone is suppose to listen to Lord Mr. C correct? You remind me of an anti-pot preacher. Give it up media man. Are you god? 8O 8O 8O

Mr. C
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mr. C »

Wicked12 wrote: Everyone is suppose to listen to Lord Mr. C correct? You remind me of an anti-pot preacher. Give it up media man. Are you god? 8O 8O 8O

Who told you? :x

Mr. C
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 am
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Post by Mr. C »

Magnotta, I'll leave our discussion at this- I'm still in highschool, I have first hand experience with teens starting pot, and I can't stand seeing people throw friends, grades, and athletics away for marijuana (which not all, but many do if they start smoking it). For those who recover, good. But since I'm not there yet and I don't know how many will, I'm 100% against marijuana, and from what I've seen so far, nothing's going to change my mind for a few years at least.

Magnotta
Former Team Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Ontario

Post by Magnotta »

Mr. C wrote: Magnotta, I'll leave our discussion at this- I'm still in highschool, I have first hand experience with teens starting pot, and I can't stand seeing people throw friends, grades, and athletics away for marijuana (which not all, but many do if they start smoking it). For those who recover, good. But since I'm not there yet and I don't know how many will, I'm 100% against marijuana, and from what I've seen so far, nothing's going to change my mind for a few years at least.


Ok, I'd say leaving our discussion as it is is a good thing, before it goes too far and we end up making the mod's lock this thread. However, I will also leave you with one thing- I too am also in High School, currently as a part time student doing an extra, optional semester(I already have all my credits), unlike my friends who previously already graduated and have moved on to work or college/university. I see everyday kids who smoke pot. I see it in the other students my age, and as I also am a peer tutor for a grade 9 class, I also see how the subject effects the younger group of kids. In both circumstances, at least where I live, the situations are pretty much exactly as I described above. However, seeing how it says your from BC, I can see how things could easily be different out there(when I visited Vancouver I actually had a guy come up to me and my buddy and ask if we had cocaine :? ).

Either way, let's just leave it how it is. I'm for pot, your against it, I think it's clear that we aren't going to change each other's minds, so going further with this is just going to waste both our time.

User avatar
ThE-UnknowN
Registered User
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:23 am
Location: In your Computer
Contact:

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

I smoke, I drink - and have done so before I was legal age.

I believe everyone should be allowed to do what they want - as long as it is in moderation and they know what they are doing. As long as they are not a detriment to others, I think it is fine.

I am in India on a project now - there are some festivities going to take place later tonight / tomorrow.

And there is a substance that people take during this time - called bhang.

From what I know it has some cocaine in it and I intend to try it later. Never had a chance to try it legally till now, and I sure am not going to miss out on this chance.

Am not dumb enough to try hard drugs. 8)
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

Darth Wong
Registered User
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by Darth Wong »

ThE-UnknowN wrote: I smoke, I drink - and have done so before I was legal age.

I believe everyone should be allowed to do what they want - as long as it is in moderation and they know what they are doing. As long as they are not a detriment to others, I think it is fine.

How do you ensure that it "is in moderation and they know what they are doing?"

It seems to me that the realistic net effect of your recommendation is that people would be allowed to whatever they want with drugs regardless of whether it is in moderation, whether they know what they're doing, or whether they harm others.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

morrowasted
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:37 pm

Post by morrowasted »

Drugs are fine in moderation. After all, they're simply substances designed to alter your mind or body for a desired effect-- just like eating healthy food to make yourself healthier. Unfortunately drugs do tend to come with nasty side effects (at least more so than fruit ;)), which is why a little self-control is needed. A lot also depends on the drug at hand. Caffeine is a drug-- not too many negative side effects, but it's extremely addictive. I'll admit (off the record) that I'm not drug free. I smoke on occasion, I drink on occasion (I'm supposed to stop but I can't ;)). I wouldn't say I'm addicted to either alcohol or marijuana, because I take them in moderation. I wouldn't get high or drunk on a school day-- it's just something designed as a social activity that's fun. I could go the rest of my life without ever touching beer or weed again if I really wanted to.

bah, I'm rambling now.


Drugs are bad, mmkay. 8O

maplette
Registered User
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:28 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Marijane

Post by maplette »

As a teenager, i was peer-pressured into smoking dope in front of the school's admin building. Yup.. dummm.
Got caught. Sent home for 3 days. Everything is forgotten.

Had this been in 2005, I'd probably now have a conviction because drugs are illegal and immoral, and shame on me for smoking the dammmm things.

So this is where it gets interesting.

It's a bloody plant! Helloooo!
So we arrest more and more people for smoking something that alters your mind. Hum, I don't see bar and restaurant owners being shot down for supplying drugs (ie alcohol).

And so, in New Zealand, there were people from LEAP who came down and visited us.
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. What a wonderful set of examples they were. One man was the Retired Chief Superintendent of Scotland Yards in the UK who was advocating legalisation. We had a Florida Judge expouse the same. Then we had a Retired New York Cop say the same. The Black dude Clifford Wallace Thorton came around NZ for 3 months in the previous year. He's mother overdosed on heroin, and he's for legalisation.

Enough said... you can read it on www.mildgreens.com

We live in interesting times when our Sister City of Seattle big wings say the same too...
/Natalie

User avatar
ThE-UnknowN
Registered User
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:23 am
Location: In your Computer
Contact:

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

Darth Wong wrote: How do you ensure that it "is in moderation and they know what they are doing?"

It seems to me that the realistic net effect of your recommendation is that people would be allowed to whatever they want with drugs regardless of whether it is in moderation, whether they know what they're doing, or whether they harm others.


Moderation being you are still sufficiently in control to know whats going on - to be aware that you are not a nuisance, and still able to make it back home on your own without any trouble.

Once you feel you are not going to be in sufficient control, you stop doing whatever it is. I don't know about others, but when I drink, and am drinking alot with my buddies, I know when the next drink will tip me over and I stop before the next drink.

Works fine for me. 8)
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”