Google: Open Source

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Atlantis Services

Google: Open Source

Post by Atlantis Services » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:04 am

http://code.google.com/

Google now backs open source 8O
Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:44 am

Google Engineers picked them.
You may have heard about 20% time, in which Google engineers are encouraged to work on a personal project one day out of the week. Open Source interests a lot of Google developers, so we thought taking advantage of this program was a good way to prepare code for release and maintenance.

Just as I thought, it's a few peoples 20% project, rather than a google mission. I wouldn't hold my breath on any concept from mainstream google going OSS ever.

Gud
Former Team Member

Re: Google: Open Source

Post by Gud » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:46 am

Atlantis Services wrote: http://code.google.com/

Google now backs open source 8O

Google has been backing free software for quite som time, doing what they do best( http://www.google.com/bsd ). :)

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Ummm... wow? Google's expanding to nearly every corner of the market, it's about time they launched something to support OSS, albeit only Google-related projects...
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

xboxundone

Post by xboxundone » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:02 am

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Ummm... wow? Google's expanding to nearly every corner of the market, it's about time they launched something to support OSS, albeit only Google-related projects...

Before you know it Google will be bigger than Microsoft!

R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:48 am

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Ummm... wow? Google's expanding to nearly every corner of the market

Google is not expanding into OSS, they have been using and adapting OSS right from the beginning. It's more the other way around, that more and more people started complaining that even though Google has built a huge infrastructure on OSS and without doubt has made much improvement to it, they haven't been giving enough back to OSS. Here is for example an interesting talk:

http://www.itconversations.com/transcri ... t50-6.html
Let me start by a story that shows what I would call a "paradigm failure" where people are still stuck in the old paradigm. If you ask an audience, as I have done many times, and say, "How many of you use Linux?" If you are at an Open Source Convention, you will get 80% of the people raising their hands. But if you are at a typical conference, you will get, oh, I don't know, 15% or 20% of the people raising their hands, maybe less than that. Then I say well, "Well, how many of you use Google?" and they all raise their hands. Then I say, "Now, you just realize that that means all of you use Linux." But what they've come to be trapped in is the idea of that what you use is the personal computer on your desk. When, in fact, we are increasingly using this vast network of computers and the applications that are, in fact, the killer applications for many people over the past few years are not personal-computer applications, they're Internet-based applications. Here's Amazon running on Linux, and here's Google running on Linux, and here's Yahoo! running on a Free BSD. And yet if you ask people, "What do you use?" they say, "Oh I use Windows." That basically is the old thinking, which is, sort of, stuck in people's heads.

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:47 pm

Ok then, they're expanding their site to include an OSS-dedicated page; you can't count that BSD search as one, can you?
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

Return to “General Discussion”