T-Rex Cloning ...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
A.I. BOT

T-Rex Cloning ...

Post by A.I. BOT »

Just last week scientists found a T-Rex with blood cells that they are possitive will still contane DNA.

The scientist who found the T-Rex said that "we are not thinking about cloning it".

I think they will in my opinion, I mean scientists are all like "well this is how the T-Rex walked and this is how he ate his food" etc,

That way they can prove everything they said about the T-Rex if we clone it and study it. :P I mean bring something back to life that lived over 65 million years ago is cool I think :P

Do you think they should clone it?

Dan39

Post by Dan39 »

bunch of bullshit, scientists are dumbasses

onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Dan39 wrote: bunch of *beep*, scientists are dumbasses

Suicide is an option for you.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

tanner_S.

Post by tanner_S. »

Should they clone it? I'd be like a real life Jeurassic Park. It would open up alot of doors, and answer thousands of questions but, how? Where would we keep it? What would we feed it? So unless you are really interested on the past and not on the furture, go ahead and clone it. Other wise leave it as is.

-Tanner

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

I don't think scientists should be worrying about cloning a T-Rex yet... they should worry about studying it first (though I know, if they clone it, they can learn a lot).
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

mrrick

Post by mrrick »

cloning is bad, for many, many reasons...please, for the love of god do not clone a freakin t-rex, i mean...tell me what absolute good could come out of that? Leave it alone already, we are doing just fine killing ourselves and creating shit that has no business being created all without the use of cloning...oh boy, i can just see it now.. :?
I really like Fruit Loops!!!

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

tell me what absolute good could come out of that?

Actually, lots of things. Scientists could learn more about the cloning process by attempting to clone a T-Rex, and could learn more about the T-Rex than depending solely on fossils, radiocarbon-dating, etc.

However, even with those benefits, IMHO the negatives weigh more than the benefits... how would they control the T-Rex? It was a tyrant lizard back then, and was enormous. It would be hard to manage something like that.

And, it's not just scientists that may take this wrong. Who knows, maybe a big corporation will come along and botch everything up, like on TV. :mrgreen:
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."

A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

put him in a 10 inch thick titanium box :)

I think they should clone it, we would learn a lot from how he acts, moves, what color he is, etc

Its a meat eater, so chuck in a pig like they did in Jurassic Park and let em at it :P

Amailer

Post by Amailer »

They said their not gonna clone it- but iunno.
I don't think they should- same thing with Human cloning.
>> New AaronDM - Help with phpBB Setups, Mods or more? Contact me!
>> Visit Compsci - For all students interested in computer science.

mrrick

Post by mrrick »

A.I. BOT wrote: I think they should clone it, we would learn a lot from how he acts, moves, what color he is, etc

and what good is this actually going to do for us, i mean seriously, think about it..would it be worth it to bring back to life this beast that we really know nothing about, just to satisfy our curiosity on how he walked, and what color he is? Yes, we all have our own opionions, which we are entitled to, but seriously, what would be the point. Do we really need the headache of that on top of what we have already? How important is it really to us as human beings? that is the real question i think i am trying to ask...
I really like Fruit Loops!!!

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

I agree, we would learn a lot about how the tyrannosaur walked, lived, ate, hunted, whatever.

However, would knowing any of that affect our lives in the slightest, other than forcing many possible updates of school books?

I don't see the benefits outweighing the cost of precaution or the risk involved.

I fail to see how knowing about an iguana's style of walking affects my life, so how does knowing about an extinct dinosaur's?

*confused*

A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

one thing that the scientists want to knwo if the T-Rex was a warm blooded or cold blooded. my dad thinks that without a dought they will clone it just to find that out :S. I think should clone it but do it somewhere where it can be isolated, like on some uninhabitied island or something.

ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

They will probably not attempt any cloning for at least the next few years, even if someone wants to do it - cos the technology is still not up to scratch for that.

It will take them a couple of years at least to get DNA (if possible), check if what they got is correct / not contaminated / study and understand it.

After that only will the question of cloning become relevant.

:P

As for cloning something which has been dead for millions of years - I will say go for it. But make sure you take proper safeguards so not to get eaten by an escaped giant lizard. :wink:

As for the benefits - it will tell us how accurate of theory of evolution is. It will help to classify / study other animals in a similar evolutionary tree. It can provide new insights as to muscle / bone structures and how they can be improved on (useful for creating artificial limbs). This is cos T-rex is very different from anything we have now - it's body structure has to be very interesting to be able to support it's mass and allow it to move fast (assuming the movies are right about how fast a T-rex can move).

And who knows, it might even be a good food source in the future.

There are so many possibilities - some which we have yet to forsee.
8)
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 »

If they do clone a T-rex, i hear its favourite food is lawyers. I'm pretty sure we have an ample supply of lawyers to feed a T-rex :D I think everyone would be happy in the end.

Pit
Security Consultant

Re: T-Rex Cloning ...

Post by Pit »

A.I. BOT wrote: Just last week scientists found a T-Rex with blood cells that they are possitive will still contane DNA.

I'd like to see a source for the bolded excerpt. BBC News declares:
Inevitably, people will wonder whether the creature's DNA might also be found. But the "life molecule" degrades rapidly over thousand-year timescales, and the chances of a sample surviving from the Cretaceous are not considered seriously.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Return to “General Discussion”