T-Rex Cloning ...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
rick`

Post by rick` »

I'm all for cloning...

Just to see if they can actually pull it off :P
mrrick

Post by mrrick »

rick` wrote: I'm all for cloning...

for petes sake, and a t-rex is what you want them to expiriment with lol..theyve already proved they can do it with the little sheep "dolly" didnt they... :lol:
I really like Fruit Loops!!!
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

mrrick wrote:
rick` wrote:I'm all for cloning...

for petes sake, and a t-rex is what you want them to expiriment with lol..theyve already proved they can do it with the little sheep "dolly" didnt they... :lol:

I'm sure he meant to see if they could actually clone an animal using 65 million yeas old DNA that has been desintigrating. Big difference cloning from a small sample of million yeas old DNA compared to a nice fresh dna sample, where you can take more from at any time you want.
mrrick

Post by mrrick »

Magnotta wrote:
mrrick wrote:
rick` wrote:I'm all for cloning...

I'm sure he meant to see if they could actually clone an animal using 65 million yeas old DNA that has been desintigrating. Big difference cloning from a small sample of million yeas old DNA compared to a nice fresh dna sample, where you can take more from at any time you want.

nah, i knew what he meant...just havin fun is all...if thats the case then they should try to clone, damn what is it called, the little dumb rodent thing from iceage lol, now that would be fun huh?
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

you mean the sloth, right?
mrrick

Post by mrrick »

Magnotta wrote: you mean the sloth, right?

hmm..was it a sloth...damn thats not gonna work then, as they arent extinct...hmm..yeah, im fresh out of ideas then..lol clone away :wink: l
rick`

Post by rick` »

You talking about the rat guy with the acorn or whatnot who ends up with a coconut at the end?
I don't think cloning that fella would be a good idea...
Thing is always around when bad things happen :P

img:
http://www.deneroff.com/Images/Ice%20Age%20Scrat.jpg
vljenewein

Post by vljenewein »

There is definite talk about cloning a wolly mammoth found froze in the Siberian outreaches. It would be nice to clone it, the T-rex, and the passenger pigeon. However, only some time and technical advances will make that happen.

Used to think, just 50 years ago, that the home computer would be larger than most home entertainment centers, taking up vast amout of wall space, running on Fortran language (not MS or Unix) and have a moitor the size of a 32" television. Looked horrendously big, even had a think like a teletype machine, and they thought that would be as small as computer would get. Now look at them!

Cloning for research is a useful tool and within reasons, is a viable source of missing information. Cloning is not new by a long shot. Ever seen a vineyard? ALL the vines are cloned from a single plant to be true to the original. Apple trees are cloned as well, budded onto rootstock the cloned apple will be like the original mother tree. Stark Bros. in Lousianna MO purchased a tree from a quaker and took bud wood from that one tree and produced millions of trees. The Delicious apple is considered the mother of a million trees. Then, when an earlier, or redder variety showed up though natural selections, they took that one and asexually created thousands more.

Most fruit and nut trees today are extensions of but a single specifif plant, of which the material proved superior to anything else like it at the time.

Cloning has been done since early times to assure the growing up "what you want". I'm sure that anyone cloning a dangerous beast like a dinosaur will exercise appropriate precautions for the duration.
Vern
Abit KV8MAX 3, Maxtor SATA 250GB HD, 1GB RAM, 16X Dual DVD RW drive, Maxtor 120GB SATA drive #2,

Former Nebraskan
Best friends are bailing wire and a good welder.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

I'm sure he meant to see if they could actually clone an animal using 65 million yeas old DNA that has been desintigrating.

Hmm... since the DNA found was pretty much disintegrating and may not be useful at all, if they attempted to clone it, or set their sights on it... they'd have to figure some way to reconstruct the DNA to eventually be able to make a "perfect" clone, right?
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
I'm sure he meant to see if they could actually clone an animal using 65 million yeas old DNA that has been desintigrating.

Hmm... since the DNA found was pretty much disintegrating and may not be useful at all, if they attempted to clone it, or set their sights on it... they'd have to figure some way to reconstruct the DNA to eventually be able to make a "perfect" clone, right?

They'll be able to genetically engineer a dinosaur from scratch before they can fix decayed 65 million year old DNA.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
ZoliveR
Former Team Member

Post by ZoliveR »

All is possible. Maybe not now but in a near future. But the question is not "Is it possible to clone a monster of the past" but "Is it safe and is it really reasonable to do that". Do we need to do that for proving anything that comes from the past and that is ... past?
No more Team Chocolate Member. I decided to leave, it's my choice. Thanks to all for all these years.
I'm always near if you need news of me. But no more support is given (private notification disabled)
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

ZoliveR wrote: All is possible. Maybe not now but in a near future. But the question is not "Is it possible to clone a monster of the past" but "Is it safe and is it really reasonable to do that".

The safety issue has been addressed repeatedly. As for the rest, let's just say that not only would I consider it reasonable, but it would be really cool. Too bad it won't happen.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
www.theadam.tk

Post by www.theadam.tk »

Jurassic Park :D
vljenewein

Post by vljenewein »

I'm with Darth Wong, I think it would be a really cool idea. Humans are responsible for extinctiction of some rather diverse things, and I truly believe we should pursue cloning and perhaps make right some of the idocy our predecessors have done.

General Sherman was ALMOST successfull in exterminating the American Bison (Buffalo) just to get at the Native American Indians. He encouraged the slaugher of as many as possible, even to extinction to supress the tribes that were relying on them for their food and staple. What an IDIOT!! well,.... Passenger pigeons were also among the stupid things we eliminated, and if cloning a T-Rex will further our skills to perhaps bringing back some of our past blunders, I'm all for it.

Darth Wong has a VERY cool site by the way.
Vern
Abit KV8MAX 3, Maxtor SATA 250GB HD, 1GB RAM, 16X Dual DVD RW drive, Maxtor 120GB SATA drive #2,

Former Nebraskan
Best friends are bailing wire and a good welder.
T1Cybernetic
Name: Christopher Maxwell

Post by T1Cybernetic »

If they pull this off OMG!

When you are dying /dead wouldnt you like for them to freeze you or part
of you so that you could be cloned in say like 2000 years or something?

Im all for it and im also hoping that they pull it off as this would be probably
one of the biggest breakthroughs in scientific history, ;).
Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)

Return to “General Discussion”