UK Election 2005

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.

Which way would you vote?

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Tories/Conservatives
14
33%
"New" Labour
13
30%
Liberal Democrats
9
21%
Green Party
3
7%
UK Independence Party
2
5%
Other (whom please...)
2
5%
 
Total votes: 43

User avatar
SHS`
Former Team Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: Yellow Beach, Nine Dragons, Hong Kong
Name: Jonathan Stanley
Contact:

UK Election 2005

Post by SHS` »

Less you've been living under a rock, you will know that the UK is about to hold it's General election.

The BBC has a nice point by point issues comparision between the 3 major parties (Tories/Conservatives, "New" Labour and Liberal Democrats) and two of the other ons that make a fair bit of noise too (Greens and UK Independance Party)

Clicky (with a bit of cunning URI h4X0ring)

Which wayeth will you be voting, or would vote (assuming you aren't in the UK). If you're not voting at all... why not?
Last edited by SHS` on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Image
pulling his hair
Registered User
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:20 pm
Contact:

Post by pulling his hair »

I would vote Lib Dem, but I'm too young. And people in Dundee East, vote for Lib Dem (my dad is the candidate :P)
NeoThermic
Security Consultant
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:33 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by NeoThermic »

Since I suggested the idea, I'll jump in here quite deep.

Ok, I'm a student, and I'll say that my parents are of 'middle income' (according to the Labour gov.) The current problem I see with the Labour gov. is the fact that over the 8 odd years they have been in power, they have done nothing but raise the tax for income bands, and lowerd the requirements to be in them. This has created a country in which if you manage to scrape together £20,000, you're 'middle income', and get a fair amout of tax at that.

As a student though, the thing that I look at with greater argument is the Labour idea of 'top up fees'. Your average UK student's loan is nothing more than £4000, and that pays for the accomidation, and course fee. Whats left after that is for general living.
What left for me after I knock out my accomidation from my loan? about 1200, max. Labour wants to bring about a top up fee of nearly £3000 extra per year of uni. My main question is where the hell are students supposed to get that from? If you increase student loans, you must compensate elsewhere, and I would guess that Labour's mentallity would be to raise taxes. Great! Not.

So where's my vote going? If you're thinking what I'm thinking, you already know where :)

NeoThermic
NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です
User avatar
onigumo
Registered User
Posts: 1755
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:32 am
Contact:

Post by onigumo »

From my understanding, the Labour Party has basically turned Britain, once the birthplace of the Industrial Age and once a proud capitalist power, into a socialist country. The Labour Party has been dominant since after World War II when it first shocked the Conservative Party by gaining the seat in the executive and getting the majority in parliament despite what the Conservative Party did to help win the war. Even if the Conservative Party were to come into power, they can't make much difference, as they are, for some reason, unable to revoke what's become state-owned. And if I'm correct, the Liberal Democrats have yet to win the executive, and even if I'm wrong, I assume they've yet to actually make lasting changes. The Labour Party has managed to make many vital industries state-owned, which the Conservative Party, as I said before, have been unable to revoke, and though it's basically a socialist party, it seemingly purposedly does not seek to make all industry state-owned. I think they believe that it would be better to leave many industries private. So this goes against the stereotype that many people have about socialism, which is that socialists always seek to make everything state-owned.

I wonder if the monarchy is going to be rid of. I've read that a group called the Republicans are seeking to do just that, and this "unpopular" marriage I've also read about is helping in this cause.

But then again, I'm an American, so what do I know? ^^;
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.
arhodes16
Former Team Member
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:28 pm

Post by arhodes16 »

I don't really like discussing who I vote for even though most people who know me can guess, however my general theory is 'anyone but the conservatives' - which pretty much narrows it down to one, as unfortunately I still see a vote for the lib dems as being a vote for the tories, in this election at least where labour have lost support due to Iraq. When (hopefully) Lib Dem are our real 2nd party I'll be able to consider whether they are actually capable of running the country, and I think they'd most likely get my vote.
Well, it looks like my don't discuss who I vote for rule just went out of the window :mrgreen:
NeoThermic wrote: As a student though, the thing that I look at with greater argument is the Labour idea of 'top up fees'. Your average UK student's loan is nothing more than £4000, and that pays for the accomidation, and course fee. Whats left after that is for general living.
What left for me after I knock out my accomidation from my loan? about 1200, max. Labour wants to bring about a top up fee of nearly £3000 extra per year of uni. My main question is where the hell are students supposed to get that from? If you increase student loans, you must compensate elsewhere, and I would guess that Labour's mentallity would be to raise taxes. Great! Not.

I'm not an expert on the matter however I believe it's always been planned that student loans will increase to cover at least most of the tutition fee as well. Of course this just gives more debt to the student, but that's another issue.

And I'm not sure what history book onigumo is reading from, 'state owned' industry is not one of Britain's major issues at this time (or something I'm even particularly aware of, unless you are including the NHS, which I'll always fight for). A lot of the 'day to day' problems that the UK faces nowadays are due to the last Conservative government's wonderful 'privatisation' plans that have left us with industry completely vanishing and a rail network that can barely be described as a transport system.
User avatar
onigumo
Registered User
Posts: 1755
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:32 am
Contact:

Post by onigumo »

I don't think I ever said that the conversion of ownership to the state of Britain's industries is one of Britain's major issues at this time. I was just stating what the Labour Party's done. It did seek to and has made state-owned many vital industries. I read a book titled Socialism by James D. Forman.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.
Pezzoni
Registered User
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Pezzoni »

Monster Raving Loony Party 8)

With all seriousness - If I could go down in a couple of weeks and cast my vote (damn these age restrictions :P), it would be the Conservatives.
Lowering taxes can't be a bad thing - Although I'm dubious as to where the funding for this is going to come from. I can't help thinking that changing the scale of the tax 'levels' wouldn't be a bad thing. Currently, if I earn over £36,145, I pay 40% to the goverment. Equally, if I earn over £30,000,000 a year, they still get 40%. Introducing more brackets than the current 4, going up to a higher level, with more intermediate ones, I can't help thinking would be a good idea, although that is kind of beside the point at this stage.

Tougher School discipline and more police is somthing I'm also in favor of - Currently the ammount of crime in the UK is too large for my liking - It has got to the extent where there are 9 year old kids trying to mug people. (Happened to me the other week in fact. He got told to piss off). Assuming that the increased police numbers are put to good use, then this would be benaficial. To the contary, Labor intend to expand the biggest joke of the century - Comminty police officers. They are possibly the most useless crime fighting tool ever - Their powers extend to asking you to stay where you are whilst they call the real Police. If you walk / run off, they can't do anything - They aren't allowed to touch you. Equally making more prison places avaliable is a waste of time - We need to prevent the crime, rather than provide more places to put the arrested people :roll:

Other appealing policies are the ones such as 'remove speed cameras which only make money', 'stop illegal traveller sites', 'oppose 'politically correct' use of human rights laws'.

The Lib Dem's also look attractive, but are such a minority party that my vote wouldn't make a difference.

Dan
User avatar
Draegonis
Former Team Member
Posts: 3950
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:12 pm
Location: Kµlt øƒ Ø
Contact:

Post by Draegonis »

You forgot SNP. Besides, you know who I'm voting for. 8)

Edit: Bloody scary poll results so far IMO.
Last edited by Draegonis on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SHS`
Former Team Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: Yellow Beach, Nine Dragons, Hong Kong
Name: Jonathan Stanley
Contact:

Post by SHS` »

Pezzoni wrote: With all seriousness - If I could go down in a couple of weeks and cast my vote (damn these age restrictions :P), it would be the Conservatives.
Lowering taxes can't be a bad thing - Although I'm dubious as to where the funding for this is going to come from. I can't help thinking that changing the scale of the tax 'levels' wouldn't be a bad thing. Currently, if I earn over £36,145, I pay 40% to the goverment. Equally, if I earn over £30,000,000 a year, they still get 40%. Introducing more brackets than the current 4, going up to a higher level, with more intermediate ones, I can't help thinking would be a good idea, although that is kind of beside the point at this stage.


No donut for you...

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

As of 2005:

The first £4,895 you earn is tax free.

The next £2,090 is taxed at 10%.

The next £30310 is taxed at 22%.

Beyond £37,295 would be taxed at 40%.

So if you earnt £40,000, only £2,705 of it would be taxed at 40%.
Pezzoni wrote: The Lib Dem's also look attractive, but are such a minority party that my vote wouldn't make a difference.


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005 ... efault.stm

Minority? Taking into account the margin of error (3%), LibDems poll 1/4, where as Labour and Tories both poll just about 1/3. It is actually a 3 way race...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Image
User avatar
SHS`
Former Team Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: Yellow Beach, Nine Dragons, Hong Kong
Name: Jonathan Stanley
Contact:

Post by SHS` »

Draegonis wrote: You forgot SNP. Besides, you know who I'm voting for. 8)

Edit: Bloody scary poll results so far IMO.


Added "Other" just for you. :P

I think the "scary" results are symptomatic of Americans poking their nose in. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Image
Pezzoni
Registered User
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Pezzoni »

SHS` wrote:
Pezzoni wrote: With all seriousness - If I could go down in a couple of weeks and cast my vote (damn these age restrictions :P), it would be the Conservatives.
Lowering taxes can't be a bad thing - Although I'm dubious as to where the funding for this is going to come from. I can't help thinking that changing the scale of the tax 'levels' wouldn't be a bad thing. Currently, if I earn over £36,145, I pay 40% to the goverment. Equally, if I earn over £30,000,000 a year, they still get 40%. Introducing more brackets than the current 4, going up to a higher level, with more intermediate ones, I can't help thinking would be a good idea, although that is kind of beside the point at this stage.


No donut for you...

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

As of 2005:

The first £4,895 you earn is tax free.

The next £2,090 is taxed at 10%.

The next £30310 is taxed at 22%.

Beyond £37,295 would be taxed at 40%.

So if you earnt £40,000, only £2,705 of it would be taxed at 40%.

My bad :)
I entirely misinterpareted the way the brackets worked :D
cheesypeanut
Registered User
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 12:51 am
Location: England

Post by cheesypeanut »

I haven't voted in the poll simply because I don't know who I am going to vote for yet. This year is the first year that I can vote.

I'll give it some thought, and I might get back to you ;)
Pit
Security Consultant
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 8:17 pm
Location: kµlt øƒ Ø™
Contact:

Post by Pit »

I'll be voting Labour or Lib Dem. If I were in a marginal constituency I'd be absolutely solid on Labour to stop the Tories getting a seat, but I'm in a fairly safe Labour seat, so I may have room to vote for something more than the lesser of two evils.

There is absolutely no question of me voting Tory.
  • I don't believe in the "trickle down" economy of the Tories, in which the rich are taxed less.
  • I don't believe that restricting immigration is good for the economy, for unemployment, or for crime prevention.
  • I don't believe that we have a right to dictate who can enter the country anyway.
  • I don't believe that the tax cuts the Tories want would be beneficial to the majority of people in this country.
  • I don't believe that a party pandering to the far-right as much as the Tories are doing deserves my vote.
  • The Labour party has delivered a period of continuous economic prosperity.
  • The Labour party has enacted legislation which the "common sense middle england what ho my old chum" conservative party would never dare to suggest: a ban on fox hunting.
  • The Tories apparently want to charge interest on student loans. Internet extreme what.
  • The Tories want to spend even more on the military than Labour.
  • I certainly don't feel comfortable with the idea of voting for a party that consistently say they want to repeal an act called the "Human Rights Act". If I wanted to repeal an act with such a name, I'd keep it on the quiet. 8O
A note: the Tories supported the war in Iraq. If you are angry because of the war, then the party to vote for would be the Liberal Democrats, who have consistently opposed the war.
Image
super fun rainbow colour sig
User avatar
nuckfan15
Registered User
Posts: 1849
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:46 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Name: Travis

Re: UK Election 2005

Post by nuckfan15 »

SHS` wrote: Less you've been living under a rock, you will know that the UK is about to hold it's General election.

The BBC has a nice point by point issues comparision between the 3 major parties (Tories/Conservatives, "New" Labour and Liberal Democrats) and two of the other ons that make a fair bit of noise too (Greens and UK Independance Party)

Clicky (with a bit of cunning URI h4X0ring)

Which wayeth will you be voting, or would vote (assuming you aren't in the UK). If you're not voting at all... why not?



I guess I live under a rock. :wink: I do pay attention to us elections but not really fond on paying attention to others. ( Except my own )
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.
User avatar
SHS`
Former Team Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: Yellow Beach, Nine Dragons, Hong Kong
Name: Jonathan Stanley
Contact:

Post by SHS` »

Interesting little site... guessed me right:

http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com/

My results:

Labour: -24
Conservative: -35
Liberal Democrat: +68
UK Independence Party: -14
Green: +29
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Image
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”