Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
iloserman

Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Post by iloserman »

Yup, they choose...a ex-nazi...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/?GT1=6428
New York Post wrote: Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger — a favorite to become the next pontiff — joined the Nazi children's corps in 1941 as a 14-year-old and was later an anti-aircraft gunner.

At one point, he guarded a factory where slaves from a concentration camp were forced to work. He was later shipped to Hungary, where he reportedly saw Jews persecuted.

Ratzinger, a staunch conservative dubbed "God's Rottweiler," has said he joined the Hitler Youth when membership became compulsory. He and his brother were later drafted but deserted. The cardinal claims he never fired a shot and that resistance would have meant death.

Not so, Germans from his hometown of Traunstein told The Times of London.

"It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others," recalled Elizabeth Lohner, 84. "The Ratzingers were young — and they had made a different choice."

In all seriousness, did they not expect to take fire for this? Where all the others to choose from that bad?

ILM
Last edited by iloserman on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: HAIL THE POPE! Mien Furer!

Post by Jim_UK »

iloserman wrote: Yup, they choose...a nazi...
Feast your eyes upon the end.
ILM

I am sure that a great many of the users of this board will find that remark offensive - whether they be German or Catholic.

For your information - being German does not mean that you are or were a Nazi.

Also for your information I am neither a German nor a believer but would not stoop so low.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Uh, let me prove to you, that he was infact a Nazi. He was a part of the Nazi Children Core, and later an anti-aircraft gunner.

I am in all seriousness, not picking on Germans, or, Catholics.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/42823.htm
Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger — a favorite to become the next pontiff — joined the Nazi children's corps in 1941 as a 14-year-old and was later an anti-aircraft gunner.

At one point, he guarded a factory where slaves from a concentration camp were forced to work. He was later shipped to Hungary, where he reportedly saw Jews persecuted.

Ratzinger, a staunch conservative dubbed "God's Rottweiler," has said he joined the Hitler Youth when membership became compulsory. He and his brother were later drafted but deserted. The cardinal claims he never fired a shot and that resistance would have meant death.

Not so, Germans from his hometown of Traunstein told The Times of London.

"It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others," recalled Elizabeth Lohner, 84. "The Ratzingers were young — and they had made a different choice."

Thank you, good day.

ILM

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

... you're trusting the New York times? :?

In any case, he was elected Pope, so just let him be. If he was elected Pope by his peers (for lack of a better word), the other people in the conclave obviously thought that he would be suitable for the job.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

ok firstly, it's Mein Führer, spell correctly edit: no fair, you removed this from the title

secondly, at the time EVERYONE was a part of the Hitler Jugend it was just what Hitler did to ensure the continuation of his regime, every great regime does it, either subliminaly *cough*america*cough* or openly, yes he was thus raised in a nazi fashion but that doesn't mean that after what, 50 years, he is still one
as for the AA, well you know, army was obligatory :roll:

thats about the defense of the poor guy who is yet to proove what he really is

now for my oppinon, the prophecy of the great Nostradamus is comming true, yay :D
CLee

Re: Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Post by CLee »

iloserman wrote: Yup, they choose...a ex-nazi...

In all seriousness, did they not expect to take fire for this? Where all the others to choose from that bad?

Are you condemning a man in his late 70s for something he did when he was just a teenager?

Anyways, according to wikipedia.org, his father was a stanch anti-Nazi. So I guess it balances out in the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cardinal_Ratzinger
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
Grandpops

Post by Grandpops »

Personally, I don't care what he did in the past. I only care about what he will do in the future.
Last edited by Grandpops on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The old man has spoken.
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Okay, you all are taking this two steps to far.

I'm not condeming the man. Simply raising an eyebrow, cause if I don't who will? How can you all be so sure that he has left the ways of his former past? So his dad was anti-nazi, well My dads Christian and I'm an atheist. I see no corrolation.

I'm just saying, you all can't be anymore sure that he dosn't have a hidden agenda, than I that he actually might.

ILM

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

actually, I try to look at it this way:
if he is a good guy, great he'll run an organisation that's did the most good for human kind
if he is evil, great, he'll ruin an organisation that has done the most evil to the humanity

you can't loose
Grandpops

Post by Grandpops »

I never said you condemed the man. I'm not directing this towards you, but some people are too quick to judge for the wrong reasons. Everything eventually changes, including people. So the best thing to do is just to give this guy a break and see what happens. You know what I mean?
Last edited by Grandpops on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CLee

Post by CLee »

iloserman wrote: Okay, you all are taking this two steps to far.

I'm not condeming the man. Simply raising an eyebrow,

Sorry, but when you accuse someone of being a Nazi or being a former nazi, then you are condeming them.
cause if I don't who will?

Perhaps no one. Is it really that important of an issue to receive such scrutiny? Apparently you think so.
How can you all be so sure that he has left the ways of his former past? So his dad was anti-nazi, well My dads Christian and I'm an atheist. I see no corrolation.

I'm just saying, you all can't be anymore sure that he dosn't have a hidden agenda, than I that he actually might.

Now who is taking things "two steps to far"? Not only did you comment that he was a Nazi, you accuse that he is probably still being one.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Grandpops wrote: I never said you condemed the man.

That was directed towards CLee
Grandpops wrote: Everything eventually changes, including people.

Granted, but childhood is the most influential part of life for any person.
Grandpops wrote: So the best thing to do is just to give this guy a break and see what happens.

"Lets see, this guys done some pretty messed up stuff. Serial killer, kidnapping, extorstion, but, hes spent the last 50 years on the run, ehhh w/e hes learned his lesson" - NOT talkinb about the new pope, only an example. NOT saying he DID any of those things. Just an example.

CLee wrote: Sorry, but when you accuse someone of being a Nazi or being a former nazi, then you are condeming them.

He was a former Nazi! Its written in history!
CLee wrote: Perhaps no one. Is it really that important of an issue to receive such scrutiny?

Do you want the leader of the biggest religon in the world to have an alternative agenda?

Ehh, Sure, I mean people DO change. I just want some proof.

ILM

Grandpops

Post by Grandpops »

iloserman wrote: "Lets see, this guys done some pretty messed up stuff. Serial killer, kidnapping, extorstion, but, hes spent the last 50 years on the run, ehhh w/e hes learned his lesson" - NOT talking about the new pope, only an example. NOT saying he DID any of those things. Just an example.

That's a lot different than what we're talking about...
CLee

Post by CLee »

iloserman wrote: He was a former Nazi! Its written in history!

Why bring it up if you weren't intending to use it in an attempt to smear him as a person?
iloserman wrote: Do you want the leader of the biggest religon in the world to have an alternative agenda?

What makes you so sure that he even has an alternatvie agenda. And just what would that agenda be if you are so sure?
iloserman wrote: Ehh, Sure, I mean people DO change. I just want some proof.

Aren't his actions during the last 50 years as both a priest and cardinal, and one of the most influential ones at that, enough proof?

It may be easy to make such an accusation, but you have absolutely no proof to back it up.
Last edited by CLee on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

CLee wrote:
iloserman wrote:Do you want the leader of the biggest religon in the world to have an alternative agenda?

What makes you so sure that he even has an alternatvie agenda. And just what would that agenda be if you are so sure?

What makes you so sure he dosn't!
CLee wrote:
iloserman wrote:Ehh, Sure, I mean people DO change. I just want some proof.

Aren't his actions during the last 50 years as both a priest and cardinal, and one of the most influential ones at that, enough proof?

No.

Return to “General Discussion”