Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Had I been born 3 years earlier, I would have been a Communist. :mrgreen: Seriously.

But I would still be the same person.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

Mr. C wrote: Had I been born 3 years earlier, I would have been a Communist. :mrgreen: Seriously.

And I would've been the same person if I was a conservative.

Oh, sorry, were we trying to keep things realistic here?
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

Mr. C wrote: Had I been born 3 years earlier, I would have been a Communist. :mrgreen: Seriously.

so what's stopping you now? lack of personal resolve? a strong desire to be part of the flock? or is this just another one of your broad-sweeping, "wacky" statements so that people notice you, as has been your tenure here?
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

From his post I'd say he comes from a country once controled by the Soviets and therefor was born 3 years after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

bonelifer wrote: From his post I'd say he comes from a country once controled by the Soviets and therefor was born 3 years after the fall of the Soviet Union.

If that's true, then this would explain his tendency to make childish posts; he's a youngster.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

iloserman wrote:
CLee wrote:
iloserman wrote:What makes you so sure he dosn't!

Because there is no proof he does.

The man spent his youth being brain washed. Than out of what, 120 other people, this man gets choosen pope. Thats a red flag. In my mind.

ILM

Brainwashed? He was forced to join Hitler's youth, resisted being drafted and deserted. If he was brainwashed, wouldn't he have died--or at least fought--for the Nazi cause? The whole of Germany was under Hitler's spell, but many resisted, i.e., chose another path. Seems to me that based on your misguided concern, the new pope actually demonstrated what one would hope one would demonstrate: resistance.

Your approach is inflammatory, at best. In my mind, that's a red flag!
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
alcaeus
I've Been Banned!

Post by alcaeus »

I can't believe what I'm reading here and elsewhere. After having seen the headlines of a few british newspapers, I was shocked. Two things:
  1. It's not like people really had a choice
  2. Get over it for christ's sake
Trust me, I'm not a racist, neither do I support any Nazi ideology, but I think that more than 60 years after the fall of the Hitler regime, it's time that people finally stop whining about it.
I know many people that have been in the HJ (Hitler-Jugend), and all of them said, that back then, it was the right thing to do. I know it's a bit harsh, but compare it to somebody *cough*Bush*cough* saying you're either with us or against us. If you're with us, good. If you're against us, you gotta die. The only difference is, that Hitler had no problem sending German resistors to the gas chamber.
Therefore, I don't think it's fair calling the new pope a Nazi. He was 16 at the time, and he's 78 now. For Christ's sake, give the man a break. Thank you.

Greetz
alcaeus
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

alcaeus wrote: For Christ's sake, give the man a break. Thank you.

Greetz
alcaeus

Indeed.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

The fact that he was in the Hitler youth doesn't bother me in the slightest. What does bother me is what he believes, and the massive ammount of influence he has to spread that around...
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

It's easier to attack his critics for this "Hitler Youth" thing than for criticizing his more recent conduct and public proclamations.
CLee

Post by CLee »

The thing is, it doesn't appear that Pope Benedict XVI views aren't all that more different then Pope John Paul II. Of course the left is going after Benedict more because they think they can "take him down", something that they couldn't do with JP2 because he had built up far to much respect from people the world over. The idea here is to get Benedict early before he has a chance to build up that kind of respect.

And frankly Darth, I think calling Benedict "RatPope" is one of the most disrespectful things you can do and it shows your own closed mindedness more then it does his.
Carlos Myers
A+, Network+
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

CLee wrote: And frankly Darth, I think calling Benedict "RatPope" is one of the most disrespectful things you can do and it shows your own closed mindedness more then it does his.

funny, because if you think that's the "most disrespectul thing you can do", that explains fully why you have no problem with the pope. me, i'm more inclined to say that telling people that feeling a certain way means they will burn in hell for all eternity is a tad more disrespectful.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

CLee wrote: And frankly Darth, I think calling Benedict "RatPope" is one of the most disrespectful things you can do and it shows your own closed mindedness more then it does his.

Wow, you figured out all by yourself that I don't respect RatPope? That's amazing.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to explain why I should respect him, since I haven't heard a single reason yet other than "He's the Pope". And by the way, what's more "close-minded"? Denouncing one man based on his publicly expressed views or denouncing entire categories of people based on your beliefs?
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

adamsmark wrote: Brainwashed?...

Well they didn't just give them cookies. :roll:

ILM
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

iloserman wrote:
adamsmark wrote:Brainwashed?...

Well they didn't just give them cookies. :roll:

ILM

If you're saying that all Germans living in this period were brainwashed, then just come out and say it. Fact is, many (not enough) resisted. According to what I've read about the new pope, he was forced to join Hitler's youth, resisted the draft and deserted at the end of the war. I'll agree that Hitler attempted to brainwash all Germans, but quite frankly many resisted.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

Return to “General Discussion”