Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

From what I understand, RatPope joined the Nazi military only when it was mandatory to join, so it is probably not reasonable to tar and feather him for that. It would be different if he had eagerly hopped onboard at the first sign of Jew-bashing.

More troubling are his recent actions with respect to women, gays and lesbians, and other denominations. More specifically, he ordered Catholic priests to stop counselling pregnant teens (presumably because they're "sinners"), he ordered priests to stop giving communion to gays and lesbians (he once called homosexuality "an intrinsic moral evil"), not to mention Lutherans (hey, if he's going to tell his priests not to minister to certain groups, why restrict it to pregnant teens and gays when you can go after other Christian denominations too?)

And should it come as a surprise that he issued statements against feminism and all forms of liberalism? The selection of RatPope was a clear message from the Cardinals and other church elites to moderate Catholics, and the message said: "screw you people, there's no room for liberals in this church".
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

You may also be suprised to know the the Jews weren't the only people the Nazis killed. They also killed anyone who was considered a threat or enemy of the state. It didn't matter how old you were. He was forced into the Hitler Youth. He was never a Nazis Party member. He was conscripted into the German army and later deserted and became a American POW. It's suprising how some will force some information into the way they want to see it. You'll also be suprised to know that someone defending Ratzinger is an Agnostic. He may not like me but I will take his past with the PURE FACT. Something an Athiest should be able to do, though you shown the opposite. Maybe you should think more about what makes you tick than attack others.
Last edited by bonelifer on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

iloserman wrote: Ehh, Sure, I mean people DO change. I just want some proof.

How do you prove that someone doesn't have a hidden agenda? The only way to know for sure is to give him a chance and see. Besides, if anyone has anything that needs proving it's the one making the accusations of some hidden agenda.

I can't believe people are actually making a fuss about this. Even if he did join the Hitler Youth voluntarily what difference does that make now, sixty years later? Didn't you ever do any stupid things when you were a teenager? I know I did, and I hope when I'm seventy-something people don't look at me and assume I'm the same person I was when I was 13.
bonelifer wrote: You may also be suprised to know the the Jews weren't the only people the Nazis killed.

I thought that was common knowledge. :?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Who needs a "hidden agenda?" Ratpope's publicly stated agenda of reactionary conservatism, homophobia, hatred of feminism, and his proudly advertised intent to remove theological and intellectual diversity in the church are troubling enough already.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Yes, your dislike of the new pope has been noted. I was refering to iloserman's bizarre suggestion that the pope is a neo-nazi.
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Well, I guess people can look forward to more or less the same as it has been, shame really, it was a chance for the church to move forward and strike a chord with the people of today(I would have liked to see the man from Nigeria elected). Either way, at least(or sadly for others) the reign won't be too long, which begs the question: why elect a 78 or whatever year old pope, when that's only 6 years away from the death of the previous one? I mean, sure, he could end up living longer of course, but seriously at that age your looking at a rather short papacy(or whatever the word is).
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

I must admit, it is rather incredible that a German child born in 1927 would be associated with the Nazis, but I guess it's true. He was six years old when Hitler came to power -- with the future pope's blessing, no doubt. He was 12 when the war broke out -- obviously 12 year olds had great influence in Germany. That membership in Hitler's Youth was compulsory, need not be mentioned.

However, as he neared adulthood (when the war ended he would be, what, 17?), he had deserted.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

Does it really matter, guys? He is an ultra-conservative, who just became one of the world most powerful men (if not the). That is frightening enough.

He says cool stuff like homosexuality is a "strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder". Hmm, the "intrinsic evil of homosexual activity", damn, I want to be gay now.

And remember guys: "Only in the Catholic church is there eternal salvation."
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

why elect a 78 or whatever year old pope, when that's only 6 years away from the death of the previous one?

It's been stated in lots of other places (even Wikipedia) that the priests in the conclave thought that he would make a good transitional Pope, especially with his old age (oldest elected Pope in 275 years IIRC); if they had chosen a younger Pope, then that would result in a longer papacy, which would most likely result in massive changes or the like.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
why elect a 78 or whatever year old pope, when that's only 6 years away from the death of the previous one?

It's been stated in lots of other places (even Wikipedia) that the priests in the conclave thought that he would make a good transitional Pope, especially with his old age (oldest elected Pope in 275 years IIRC); if they had chosen a younger Pope, then that would result in a longer papacy, which would most likely result in massive changes or the like.

So they're banking on the guy dying off soon? Thats great :P

ILM
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

So they're banking on the guy dying off soon? Thats great Razz

Not really, but rather, that his papacy won't be as long as Pope John Paul II's was.

But I guess you could say that as well. :?

The priests in the conclave made their choice; just respect it.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:

It's been stated in lots of other places (even Wikipedia) that the priests in the conclave thought that he would make a good transitional Pope

It's not really much of a transitional phase if the new guy just follows what was already laid out before him, and Ratzinger seems to have even stricter beliefs when it comes to certain issues. Transitional would have been more like someone who will continue a bit of what John Paul did, but start to change things a bit into a new direction for a future pope to take over. But I guess they're not really interested in change. I guess instead of transitional he can be considered "quick placeholder until we find a young guy that will continue our completely consevative and anti-liberal views and actions who can then rule with an iron fist for many years".
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

They probably picked an ancient guy like RatPope because they had trouble finding a young guy with an 18th century mindset.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

RatPope's latest press release indicates his desire to "unify" all of Christianity under the Catholic banner. As if Catholicism hasn't been trying to do that through various means (sometimes including violence) for centuries ever since the Protestants broke away :lol:
onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Darth Wong wrote: (sometimes including violence) for centuries ever since the Protestants broke away :lol:

More like often if not more so than not (in the past, when they were still able to). If you haven't already, I recommend you (all those who read this post) read The Papacy.
Note: The linked article wasn't working when I tried it out. It should be back up soon.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

Return to “General Discussion”