Ratzinger #265, wait an ex nazi?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Hopefully you will actually use this novel idea of reading things in context before replying to them in future.

You know what, I probably won't

And you wonder why people accuse you of being immature. Grow up.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Darth Wong wrote:
Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Hopefully you will actually use this novel idea of reading things in context before replying to them in future.

You know what, I probably won't

And you wonder why people accuse you of being immature.

No I don't
Grow up.

Thanks, but I'd like a few more years before I become as sour and negative as the rest of you.

Now, back on topic!
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Grow up

Thanks, but I'd like a few more years before I become as sour and negative as the rest of you.

Acting like a male bimbo is nothing to be proud of.
Now, back on topic!

Rather ironic coming from someone who, by his own admission, couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread before replying to it.

In any case, I have so far heard precisely three reasons why someone should respect RatPope:
  1. He's the Pope (something which no doubt merits automatic respect from Catholics, but this doesn't apply to any non-Catholics).
  2. He's a human being (a ridiculous reason to respect someone, since respect is utterly meaningless if it's automatically given to everyone).
  3. All of his reactionary antediluvian attitudes are OK because they're in the Bible (also shown to be an absurd justification with examples of things in the Bible which are completely unacceptable today).
Nope, sorry, I'm still not seeing any reason why anyone should feel bad about disrespecting RatPope. The addition of reasons #2 and #3 don't help the case at all.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Nope, sorry, I'm still not seeing any reason why anyone should feel bad about disrespecting RatPope. The addition of reasons #2 and #3 don't help the case at all.

Ah, I get it: if you don't respect someone, you may as well disrespect them! :roll:

You know, it's possible to not express respect, or disrespect.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Darth Wong wrote: I'm still not seeing any reason why anyone should feel bad about disrespecting RatPope. The addition of reasons #2 and #3 don't help the case at all.

Why should we disrespect him Darth Wang? If someone isn't a christian, they don't have to hate him by default. You weren't banging on about him as a cardinal, so why has this changed?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Anon wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I'm still not seeing any reason why anyone should feel bad about disrespecting RatPope. The addition of reasons #2 and #3 don't help the case at all.

Why should we disrespect him Darth Wang?

The fact that he's a social reactionary who refers to gays as "evil" without a shred of justification, perhaps? The word "evil" is a pretty harsh charge, is it not?
If someone isn't a christian, they don't have to hate him by default. You weren't banging on about him as a cardinal, so why has this changed?

You presume that if someone asked me what I thought of him as a cardinal, I would have said anything different. He was a reactionary troglodyte as a cardinal, he will be a reactionary troglodyte as a Pope. But now he has more power.
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Darth Wong wrote:
Anon wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:I'm still not seeing any reason why anyone should feel bad about disrespecting RatPope. The addition of reasons #2 and #3 don't help the case at all.

The fact that he's a social reactionary who refers to gays as "evil" without a shred of justification, perhaps? The word "evil" is a pretty harsh charge, is it not?

Ah, you disrespect him because you don't share his beliefs. Good.
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Anon wrote:

I think if you re-read what he wrote it's pretty clear, he disrespects them because he unjustifiably refres to a denomination of people as "evil". Now, would you be supporting this man if he said "blacks are evil" or "people born with deformaties should be killed"? After all, it's pretty much doing the same thing: discriminating against a group of people simply for being something that they couldn't control.

btw, looking back at your post a little bit where "you don't remember ever hearing about JP2's remarks about gays" well, don't think I haven't forgot about it :wink: . Here's a nice link -link-
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Magnotta wrote:
Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Anon wrote:

I think if you re-read what he wrote it's pretty clear, he disrespects them because he unjustifiably refres to a denomination of people as "evil". Now, would you be supporting this man if he said "blacks are evil" or "people born with deformaties should be killed"? After all, it's pretty much doing the same thing: discriminating against a group of people simply for being something that they couldn't control.

Ok, first- he doesn't call people that are gay evil, he calls people that practice homosexual acts evil. And second, whether I agree or not, the Pope believes he is justified, so it's not the same.

btw, looking back at your post a little bit where "you don't remember ever hearing about JP2's remarks about gays" well, don't think I haven't forgot about it :wink: . Here's a nice link -link-

Nowhere in that article did he call gays evil...
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Mr. C wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:The fact that he's a social reactionary who refers to gays as "evil" without a shred of justification, perhaps? The word "evil" is a pretty harsh charge, is it not?

I disrespect him because he thinks it's OK to call an entire category of people "evil" without providing any evidence that they've ever harmed anyone or anything. The key element here is that intelligent people can actually give reasons for their beliefs, not just saying "I believe because I believe", which is essentially what RatPope's statements boil down to.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Mr. C wrote: Ok, first- he doesn't call people that are gay evil, he calls people that practice homosexual acts evil.

You go girl, split that hair!
alcaeus
I've Been Banned!

Post by alcaeus »

Darth Wong wrote: The fact that he's a social reactionary who refers to gays as "evil" without a shred of justification, perhaps? The word "evil" is a pretty harsh charge, is it not?

Good one, in this case we may as well disrespect about 90% of the Republican Party in the US. May I remind me that his opinions about gays are just being told all over because he's pope? Trust me, there are enough people who think that being gay is equal to being "evil", not just the pope. Those people are all over the place.

As for me, I respect Benedict. Why? Well, I was born Catholic, I was baptized Catholic, but I haven't been in a church for years now. Still, I think that the pope has a certain "mission", I believe that he has a certain work to do. Whether it's to meet with "leaders" of other religions, visit other countries, or whatever, you can't deny the fact that the pope is one of the most important people on this planet.

Does not agreeing with somebodys opinions just mean that you have to disrespect him? Are you disrespecting everybody who respects Benedict because they're not of your opinion? Good way to go..actually, it's pretty narrow-minded. I think that every person (even Hitler, Pol Pot, Pinochet, Bush Jr.) deserve a certain amount of respect. They're humans, and they haven't done evil all their life, they haven't fu**ed things up their entire life. It's the same with Benedict. His opionions are those of many million people on this planet. So if you disrespect him, go on and disrespect everybody else as well.

Greetz
alcaeus
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

alcaeus wrote: His opionions are those of many million people on this planet. So if you disrespect him, go on and disrespect everybody else as well.

So, I take it then that if the pope was to call black's "slaves of satan" or arabic's "the terrorists of allah" you'd defend him, and then complain when someone disrespects him? There's not any difference realy there ya know, condemning gays is still condemning a denomination of people without any possible justification other than "millions of other people beleive so". The only justification ever given is "well the bible says it's a sin". Ok, well, think of how many people work on Sundays. For shame, let's all go stone 'em to death.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

alcaeus wrote: You were either with them or against them. If you were against them, you were eliminated.

Sounds familiar. :roll:

shktoelz wrote: PLEASE LOOK AT THE TOPIC!

we're neither talking about bible, nor about gays!

if you want to start a discussion about catholizism as such you'll have to open another topic!

Discussion about the bible and gays is not off topic. People are discussing the pope's beliefs about gays, and he has those beliefs because of the bible. Do you see the connection?
alcaeus wrote: As for me, I respect Benedict. Why? Well, I was born Catholic, I was baptized Catholic...

I think it's hilarious when people say they were born catholic. Religion is a system of beliefs. How can you be born with a religion? I guess you must mean that your family is catholic, but what difference does that make? There's nothing that forces you to have the same beliefs as your parents. It's also laughable that you feel this need to respect the pope just because you're catholic. Does this mean you'll support him no matter what he says or does?
you can't deny the fact that the pope is one of the most important people on this planet.

We certianly can deny it. He may make statements that a lot of people listen to and follow, but that doesn't make him any more important than anyone else. I think the word you're looking for is influential.
His opionions are those of many million people on this planet. So if you disrespect him, go on and disrespect everybody else as well.

And most of those people share those beliefs because they have this rediculous idea that they have to support and follow whatever the pope says. If the pope never made statements about gays being evil there would be a lot fewer catholics with that opinion.

Are you saying that the pope's beliefs are correct because millions share the same beliefs? Something doesn't automatically become true just because lots of people believe it.
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

well, in less than six pages we're back to arguing about the bible and homosexuality in religion. how shocking.

locked.
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Return to “General Discussion”