American loonie?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Magnotta wrote: same reason we have a "penny, dime, nickel, and quarter".

It's not the same reason. Those aren't bizarre names at all, except maybe penny, but that comes from the old English word penig. The name dime comes from Latin, and means tenth. Our nickles are called nickles because at one time that's the metal that they were mostly made of. And quarters are called quarters for obvious reason.

They all make sense to me. As far as I know until the introduction of Canada's one dollar coin loonie wasn't a word.
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

I hate coins. Coins just make me have to hold my pants up or wear them around my ankles.
Eric
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

nuckfan15 wrote: Well dont be making fun of our canadian currency. I very much prefer it over american currency. The number one reason is we actually have life in our money. I am sorry to say, but green is boring. Also the bills are better when different colours because it allows you to tell them apart.

What other names do you suggest? Its no different then calling one of your bills a lincon. Seeing as our coin has a loon on it, a loonie is appropriate. I dont see anything wrong with such names or how it evokes hilarity.

:? I think you must be mistakenly assuming that I'm an American. I'll keep "making fun of our canadian currency" as long as I find the names rediculous. I can't believe people can get so offended by my belief loonie and twoonie sound stupid.

[edit]I'm a Canadian citizen by birth. I didn't know citizenship was a prerequisite to having an opinion on Canadian affairs. :roll:

Moving back on topic though, I doubt there's much chance of the American one dollar coin becoming popular unless they discontinue the bill and replace it with the coin, as they did here in Canada.[/edit]
Last edited by Canis_Latrans on Wed May 04, 2005 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Er... I'd like to call the coins I have by their names, y'know, "penny", "dime", "nickel", etc. :?
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

wGEric wrote: I hate coins. Coins just make me have to hold my pants up or wear them around my ankles.

Yeah, that. I pay for a one dollar burger at McDonalds with two dollars. I get 94 cents change. Three quarters, a dime, a nickel and four pennies weigh like 4 ounces. And when I'm carrying my cell phone, wallet, etc. in my pocket, pants just don't get tight enough...until they get too tight :lol:

Not to mention finding a single dollar coin in my other 15 coins takes longer than finding a one dollar bill in my wallet. I may have six bills as opposed to those 15 coins.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

I rarely carry change anyways. Debit comes in handy. :P My bank loves me. :lol:

There's been rumor that Canada wants to do a $5 coin as well. It'd be interesting to see what they call it. Then again, adding an extra coin would make my pants ride lower than they already do, lol. 8O

Anyways, I haven't handled US currency (well, in hard cash form) in a while, but do Americans still use half dollars? I haven't seen or heard about them in a while so I wasn't too sure if they have faded out or not like the dollar coins of the past.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

Nephrus wrote: There's been rumor that Canada wants to do a $5 coin as well. It'd be interesting to see what they call it.

Possiblilities:

Hectonickel
Pentaloonie
Super Nickel/Mega Nickel/Hyper Nickel/Power Nickel
Quintaloonie
Pentadollar
Quintadollar
Fivie/Fivey/Fiver
Trudie, Mulroonie, Chretiennie, Martie (if used with respective prime minister's head on the front).
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Nephrus wrote: Anyways, I haven't handled US currency (well, in hard cash form) in a while, but do Americans still use half dollars? I haven't seen or heard about them in a while so I wasn't too sure if they have faded out or not like the dollar coins of the past.

No, they have faded out, like the 2 dollar bill ...
Eric
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

wGEric wrote: I hate coins. Coins just make me have to hold my pants up or wear them around my ankles.

Which is why credit cards were invented 8)
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Well, key cards and eftpos actually, credit cards have evil interest charged on them. Though I don't think Americans make the distinction between credit and savings.

All attempts to bring in electronic money (i.e. where the money is bound to the card, and the card holds money, rather than the card holding identification and being needed to be validated and deducted by modem to a bank) seem to have failed. (I hope that made sense).
Systems Engineering
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

We replaced the 10 SEK bill with a coin some 12 years ago and the new gold coins (picture) caught on and became popular. The USD is currently at 7 SEK so the amount is about the same, a coin is a good idea, easier to handle, lasts longer. Possibly also harder to counterfeit.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Have you considered purchasing a belt?
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC »

no doubt. plus, it's very difficult to put them in a garter... ;)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

TC wrote: no doubt. plus, it's very difficult to put them in a garter... ;)

That's what handbags are for, duh!
adamsmark

Re: American loonie?

Post by adamsmark »

JustinSL wrote: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7655822/?GT1=6542

Wow. Looks like the US is looking north for ideas.

I guess it's a compliment for Canada, eh?

In an age of debit and credit cards, which can be used mostly anywhere, who cares about dollar coins? I keep less than 20 bucks in my pocket, knowing my debit card is accepted anywhere.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com

Return to “General Discussion”