American loonie?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

I find debit cards annoying. The bank knows where you've went shopping, it takes about 30-45 extra seconds to pay for something (stalling the lineups), you keep forgetting how much money you have left (ugly NSF errors), newbies seem to take forever, lack of privacy, risk of hackers, card is fragile, service charges per swipe, etc.
rick`

Post by rick` »

Coins have been working fine in Australia for a long time.
So has the lack of paper notes now that I think about it.

Coins & polymer notes > your paper money :P
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Er... I'd like to call the coins I have by their names, y'know, "penny", "dime", "nickel", etc. :?

Penny, nickel, dime, quarter, loonie, toonie. It's simple enough, and every one of those coins acquired its name by the same means; common usage. Loonie and toonie were never official names for those coins, it's just what people started calling them.

I'm assuming the new $1 coin south of the border will be identical in size and shape to ours? Considering the rest of our currency remains identical, it would be awfully annoying to see the shapes and sizes diverge now.

Heck, it's even a slight advantage for us Canadians, since nobody offers exchange on coins; their $1 coin will be worth more than ours, yet ours will work interchangeably. :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

Vending machine compatibility? Cheap Pepsi for Canadian tourists! :D
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

JustinSL wrote: I find debit cards annoying. The bank knows where you've went shopping, it takes about 30-45 extra seconds to pay for something (stalling the lineups), you keep forgetting how much money you have left (ugly NSF errors), newbies seem to take forever, lack of privacy, risk of hackers, card is fragile, service charges per swipe, etc.

But most others do not. Yes, banks know where you've been shopping, shouldn't they? A debit transaction takes just as long as cash transaction (have you ever watch as a cashier fumbles with coins and bills?). I've never forgotten what I've got in my account. Privacy? Risk of hackers? I've never had a problem. Oh, and fewer places ever charge per swipe as we'd simply opt for "credit" mode. My debit card has the Visa logo on it.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

adamsmark wrote: Yes, banks know where you've been shopping, shouldn't they?

Gives me a slightly creepy "Big Brother" feeling. But I s'pose it has its benefits.
adamsmark wrote: Privacy? Risk of hackers? I've never had a problem.

You're lucky (at least for now).
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

JustinSL wrote:
adamsmark wrote:Yes, banks know where you've been shopping, shouldn't they?

Gives me a slightly creepy "Big Brother" feeling. But I s'pose it has its benefits.
adamsmark wrote: Privacy? Risk of hackers? I've never had a problem.

You're lucky (at least for now).

Yeah, but at best, I'm responsible for $50. I was once a victim of credit card fraud. Didn't cost me a penny, and I think the company changed its method of delivery.

If someone steals $4,000 in cash from me, I'm out of luck. With a card, I'm protected.
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

JustinSL wrote: I find debit cards annoying. The bank knows where you've went shopping, it takes about 30-45 extra seconds to pay for something (stalling the lineups), you keep forgetting how much money you have left (ugly NSF errors), newbies seem to take forever, lack of privacy, risk of hackers, card is fragile, service charges per swipe, etc.

Debit cards are the way forward.
It's quicker to pay (swipe the card, type in PIN, rather than go to bank to get money out, pay, wait for change to be counted etc), and it means that I don't have to carry around any cash (aside from change for busses etc) with me, and I don't get charged anything for using it. It's essentially a VISA credit card, except funds get taken from my account, rather than me being billed.
I'd also like to know exactly how someone can hack a debit card? Even if it does get stolen, or fraud does occour, you are protected by your bank. If I get mugged with £200 on me in cash, I'll never see it again.
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

Maybe Americans/British have superior debit cards than Canadians. My personal encounters with them (my own and others) are not as good as you guys say.
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

I never use anything but my debit card to buy things.
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

JustinSL wrote: Maybe Americans/British have superior debit cards than Canadians. My personal encounters with them (my own and others) are not as good as you guys say.

It's the same system really. I found that I can use my debit card while going to Scotland and my brother was able to use his in Japan with no troubles.

Talk about convenient. It's better than walking through the building with your pants jingling. :D
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

Many stores experience Interac breakdowns. Thus your card is temporarily useless.

Also it sucks for pizza delivery and other stuff where money is hand-to-hand (no cash register).
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

JustinSL wrote: Many stores experience Interac breakdowns. Thus your card is temporarily useless.

Also it sucks for pizza delivery and other stuff where money is hand-to-hand (no cash register).

Panago and some other pizza places out here have wireless debit machines. And it doesn't take long to bring an interac system back up. ;) I do it daily. :)
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

I guess it might be the province where I'm at...
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Gentlemen, think about this rationally. You can't stick a debit card into a stripper's G-string, can you? Of course, you can't stick a toonie into a stripper's G-string either, but any decent stripper is worth more than a toonie.

In any case, we obviously continue to need cash.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “General Discussion”