American loonie?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

JustinSL wrote:
adamsmark wrote:Yes, banks know where you've been shopping, shouldn't they?

Gives me a slightly creepy "Big Brother" feeling. But I s'pose it has its benefits.
adamsmark wrote: Privacy? Risk of hackers? I've never had a problem.

You're lucky (at least for now).

Can you please explain to us how someone can "hack" a plastic debit card?
JustinSL

Post by JustinSL »

The 16-digit number is stored in a database, isn't it? The hacker would need a method to trick the ATM or whatever into thinking that it is your card that has been inserted (assuming they figured out your PIN).

It's all in the numbers.

Even a disgruntled store clerk might be able to pull it off.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

The weakness with CCs and DCs are that they're easy to defraud. You just need the 16 digit code, date of expiration and the CCV2 code. Some companies just want the card number. There are number generators you can download to create fake CC numbers.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

Bobble wrote: in England we swapped the £1 note (bill) for the £1 coin many years ago, although Scotland still has a £1 note IIRC. There was a great deal of public outcry at the time but as we had no choice in the matter people got used to it.

and don't get me started on the £2 coin :roll:

I thought the coins were convient really. I could barrow a pound (I don't have that symbol availble) from my parents or a brother and buy a snack or something without having to count bills.
I with the US would come out with something like that
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

JustinSL wrote: The 16-digit number is stored in a database, isn't it? The hacker would need a method to trick the ATM or whatever into thinking that it is your card that has been inserted (assuming they figured out your PIN).

It's all in the numbers.

Even a disgruntled store clerk might be able to pull it off.

Then you're talking about hacking the bank's computer system, since hacking a simple piece of plastic isn't really possible. I've heard alot of people saying how they don't trust debit cards for security reasons, but they're not any less secure than cash. Especially since, if you're carrying cash in your pocket, and you get mugged then you've just lost all your money. If you get mugged and all they get is your debit card, they either have to beat your PIN out of you or they're out of luck. I've never worried about the security of my debit or credit cards.
acnovan

Post by acnovan »

Isn't there an easier way, like working for a bank or as a cashier? You could deduct more off thier cards or access the store system?

As they say, attack from the inside.
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

acnovan wrote: Isn't there an easier way, like working for a bank or as a cashier? You could deduct more off thier cards or access the store system?

As they say, attack from the inside.

When you withdraw cash, they could do the same.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Pezzoni wrote: When you withdraw cash, they could do the same.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Cash is less secure than debit/credit cards, not the other way around.

Hey Pezzoni don't you find it ironic that your signature, which is calling someone an idiot, is full of spelling errors?
Scott_Hero_of_Time

Post by Scott_Hero_of_Time »

Well last time I checked King Auther Called a french knight a loonie, and the local paper was calling the Brits loonie for cheese rolling... Canada has always been a little loonie... Ohh the loonie as in the coin.... well Unless a LOONie has a LOON on it its not a LOONie.
Canis_Latrans

Post by Canis_Latrans »

Scott_Hero_of_Time wrote: Well last time I checked King Auther Called a french knight a loonie, and the local paper was calling the Brits loonie for cheese rolling... Canada has always been a little loonie... Ohh the loonie as in the coin.... well Unless a LOONie has a LOON on it its not a LOONie.

Loonie != Looney
Scott_Hero_of_Time

Post by Scott_Hero_of_Time »

Loony != Loonie
Loony == Loony

Return to “General Discussion”