Old RPGs vs MORPGs.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Rabidus_Lupus

Old RPGs vs MORPGs.

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Is it just me, or are new RPGs straying from making the game about the story line? Old RPGs I notice I was actually into the story line. I would remember a lot more about what happened before I reached the end. Lately all the new MORPGs I only care about character level and equipment. I don't even know why I'm trying to level up other than to be able to beat up on other people for no real reason. I think what I miss most is trying for 20 minutes to beat a boss, using everything I've got.

For example, in WOW they have little quests to go on. Some have a few things to do before reaching the end. But all I care about is getting the experience or weapons for completing the quest. I don't even remember what the basis of the quest is.

I guess what I want to know is which one's people like better. Old RPGs or MORPGs and why.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Personally, I would go with old RPGs. OLD RPGS. Chrono Trigger being my favorite. But I got'st teh chart for each.

Old RPGs
Advantages
- Most have nice, great, or basic storyline.
- One player, so it is usually fair with settings like Easy, Normal and Hard
- Heavy graphics didn't take away from storyline or gameplay
- Far simpler

Disadvantages
- Some have shoddy or horrible graphics which make you want to skip gameplay.
- Single player sometimes limits the fun by not ever having to have a huge challenge to overcome the change in skill levels

MMORPGs
Advantages
- Sometimes very fun to play with friends
- Large community of players
- Some have some great graphical play
- Can be very fun with large amounts of customization

Disadvantages
- Most cost monthly, and not everyone has the ability to play
- Some have small quests with no storyline
- Most players play to gain experience and just to be better than everyone else, but ignore the fun parts.
- When cheats are released, the game becomes useless.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

yep, you got that right, MMO's killes role play, it died then and there

I guess humans are just way to competative to keep RPing once they "have" to proove they pwn more

it's kinda sad really...

the last RPG I played and kinda knew what was going on story-wise was Devine Divinity, but even there if it was "too much" text I'd just skip it, just read enough to complete a quest
the only RPG I ever read all the storyline stuff was Diablo 1 really :D
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

I think another disadvantage in the MMORPG is people going around killing low level people on the PVP types.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote: I think another disadvantage in the MMORPG is people going around killing low level people on the PVP types.
Thats part of the fun. If you dont like it, dont join PVP. :twisted:
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

xdarkday wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:I think another disadvantage in the MMORPG is people going around killing low level people on the PVP types.

PVP is fun, pvp as the sole reason for playing is lame
[also pvp in the form of PK's in UO and stuff is just annoying]
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

xdarkday wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:I think another disadvantage in the MMORPG is people going around killing low level people on the PVP types.

It just seems pointless to play when your level 12 and someone at level 60 takes you out waisting your time for absolutely no reason. They don't get anything, not even bragging rights. It's pointless.
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
xdarkday wrote:

It just seems pointless to play when your level 12 and someone at level 60 takes you out waisting your time for absolutely no reason. They don't get anything, not even bragging rights. It's pointless.
In WoW you cant attack people in newb areas unless they attack first.
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

xdarkday wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
xdarkday wrote:

In WoW you cant attack people in newb areas unless they attack first.

players tend to "look around" no matter the level
Tomthumb

Post by Tomthumb »

I agree....

I would prefer the old RPGs to the poor new ones any day.

it is rare to find any game with a great let alone good story line... it's only about finding items and leveling up.. or just shooting things to get past this or to get there.

we need more unique games.
Have U.S. traffic? Have a large forum and can't monetize it? Earn $1.20 CPM for U.S. traffic, $6 CPM RAW impressions -> Clicky
designcodes

Post by designcodes »

I like the modern RPG more. But I prefer playing turn-based and simulation games more than RPG games.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

I play mostly tabletop RPGs these days. It's much more fun.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
neonmole

Post by neonmole »

I consider RPGs and MMORPGs to be too different from eachother to compare the two.
SK

Post by SK »

Ive just started playing Guild Wars. Everything about it is like a MMORPG except theres no monthly fee. I paid £17 for the game and thats it. The only time you see other players though is if you enter towns/cities. As soon as you step out of town you only see people in your party. Graphics are damed good looking too.
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

I remember there being an RPG back on the AtariST that was really good - It just consisted of ASCII drawn rooms. Can't remember what it was called though :(

Return to “General Discussion”