Old RPGs vs MORPGs.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

SK wrote: Ive just started playing Guild Wars. Everything about it is like a MMORPG except theres no monthly fee. I paid £17 for the game and thats it. The only time you see other players though is if you enter towns/cities. As soon as you step out of town you only see people in your party. Graphics are damed good looking too.
I was thinking about getting this game... How do you pvp in this game? How do you find parties? Is it worth buying if i already have WoW?
SK

Post by SK »

You can choose just PvP or play the RPG. I havent tried PvP really since I prefer the RPG aspect of the game. For the price I paid its a bargain. Worth buying just because theres no monthly online fees.
Pezzoni wrote: I remember there being an RPG back on the AtariST that was really good - It just consisted of ASCII drawn rooms. Can't remember what it was called though :(

Try http://www.atari.st/ they will have a rom for it on there :)
amador137

Post by amador137 »

this is a stupid qestion. lock it!
Tifa

Post by Tifa »

Old RPG's simply rock. If we had more games like Final fantasy VII, no one would even consider this question.

...Unfortunately we don't :cry:
Onkos tyhmempää kuultu?
RunningWolf

Post by RunningWolf »

xdarkday wrote:
SK wrote:Ive just started playing Guild Wars. Everything about it is like a MMORPG except theres no monthly fee. I paid £17 for the game and thats it. The only time you see other players though is if you enter towns/cities. As soon as you step out of town you only see people in your party. Graphics are damed good looking too.
I was thinking about getting this game... How do you pvp in this game? How do you find parties? Is it worth buying if i already have WoW?
I have seen a friend of mine play Guild Wars, and so I felt compelled to respond,

You can create two main types of characters, one type is for roleplay and the other is strictly pvp battling.
EDIT: In role play there are certain arenas that you can pvp in.
Also the arenas you can pvp are based on you characters level - this is to prevent some elite newbie bashing you.
(in both types there are the same several classes and styles to choose from to customise your characters.)
I think you can also have something like 4 characters of each of the two main types or 'games'.

As for parties - you find them in the various towns and see if there is someone who would like to join your party to help you with a quest. One of the beginner quests is in fact, to create a party of players.

As for is it worth it? well the game has great graphics - and it is also simple. (interface included.) Although there can be quite a lot of foot-legging terrain it can still be said to be a good game. Of cause read up on the games site before you buy it to make sure that the game sounds to your tastes. The upside to getting it only to find that you don't for some reason like it, is that you haven't already paid for a subscription so getting rid of it shouldn't be too much hassle.
"Choice is free. Consequence is costly."
neonmole

Post by neonmole »

Tifa wrote: Old RPG's simply rock. If we had more games like Final fantasy VII, no one would even consider this question.

...Unfortunately we don't :cry:

I don't consider FFVII to be in the 'old' category. I was thinking more along the lines of Phantasy Star, FF1 and Chrono Trigger.

Return to “General Discussion”