Children..

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Undercoverproject

Children..

Post by Undercoverproject » Sun May 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Who thinks childrens behavior is becoming more and more "bad"

I defenatly think that there heading in a down-wards spiral.

Plus, no-one wants to take responsibility e.g.

Goverment blames parents and teachers, and they blame each other.
Some blame goes to wards certain types of music, and entertainment.

I think that there should be more disapline in school from a younger age, and parents should be more aware of what is going on in there childs social/school and genral life.

What are your guys opinions on this?

Darth Wong

Re: Children..

Post by Darth Wong » Sun May 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Undercoverproject wrote: Who thinks childrens behavior is becoming more and more "bad"

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? Because according to http://www.cjcj.org/pubs/myth/myth.html and the FBI's uniform crime statistics, youth crime has been going down over the last 30 years, not up.
I defenatly think that there heading in a down-wards spiral.

Based on what? Media sensationalism?
Plus, no-one wants to take responsibility e.g.

Goverment blames parents and teachers, and they blame each other.
Some blame goes to wards certain types of music, and entertainment.

I think that there should be more disapline in school from a younger age, and parents should be more aware of what is going on in there childs social/school and genral life.

What are your guys opinions on this?

I think people are looking for excuses to cast blame without even bothering to empirically verify that the problem exists.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Pezzoni

Re: Children..

Post by Pezzoni » Sun May 29, 2005 9:21 pm

In the UK at least, it is a problem - Even if it isn't getting worse, it's certainly somthing we need to deal with.
Lets put it like this:
The other weekend I was at a friends house, and just outside wre 4 kids, 2 girls, 2 boys. They were drunk to the extent that they couldn't stand up, or indeed walk more than a couple of meters. We went over to check they were okay, which the assured us they were (just). We asked how old they were, and got the answer of twelve. They were adamant they didn't want any help, so we left them to it. About half an hour later, we could hear screming coming from the direction they went in. We found two of them fighting with each other, and two of them having sex on the floor a few meters away from them.
What kind of parent lets their kids get drunk (or indeed drink) at that age? The same with the sex.

Blaming culture, the goverment, or the schools isn't going to get us anywhere. Teaching parents how to do a decent job might.

Amailer

Post by Amailer » Sun May 29, 2005 9:35 pm

Here in Toronto, Canada the last two months or so the youth violence has been horriable, suddently started to jump. I think its still going on, just recently... some kids (16,15 and 12 or 11 i believe not sure what their ages are exactally) set another kid on fire :shock: (I don't think that was in Toronto but still, In Canada) and then you have your usual stabbing, shooting and etc...

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Sun May 29, 2005 9:37 pm

Amailer wrote: Here in Toronto, Canada the last two months or so the youth violence has been horriable, suddently started to jump. I think its still going on, just recently... some kids (16,15 and 12 or 11 i believe not sure what their ages are exactally) set another kid on fire :shock: (I don't think that was in Toronto but still, In Canada) and then you have your usual stabbing, shooting and etc...

and here it was made a big deal coz a kid (17) got stabbed to death in a gang fight :roll:

Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus » Sun May 29, 2005 9:52 pm

Actually, a month ago, a group of pre-adolescent boys went around the Burnaby area SkyTrain stations and assaulted a number of female joggers.
When the cops caught up with these kids, one of them was 11 years old.

Where are the parents if kids that young are out in gangs attacking women? It's unbelievable that stuff like this happens, especially in such an area. I live out near Surrey and you would expect this sort of stuff from people in their late teens-early twenties, but 11 years old? I haven't heard if there are any more of these style of attacks lately, but it makes you think. What are the parents doing and why are the kids getting out to do stuff like this. Imagine if they kept going, and see what kind of incidents these kids would get into.
Last edited by Nephrus on Sun May 29, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Sun May 29, 2005 9:55 pm

Nephrus wrote: I haven't heard if there are any more of these style of attacks lately

8O don't you think a month is lately enough?

Undercoverproject

Post by Undercoverproject » Sun May 29, 2005 10:06 pm

Statistically i havnt a clue, but i just get the genral feeling its going that way.

Me being 19, i know we didnt do half the things young kids are allowed to over the past few years.

I mean i hear about, kid beating kids for fun, 3-5 year olds swearing, gun crime, verbal and even on occasions physical abbuse to teachers. Among other things.

I think this is becomming more of a problem in the UK, im not awear of what's happning in the US though.

I do think that parents hold 80-90% of the responsobility (IMO) but other things do come in to it, like social life and media, but that can be dealt with by the parents, and teachers, it would be better though if some parents would learn the new parenting skills of this day and age, because they are relying on rules that are too old and not relevent.

Again statistically i dont know, but this is just from my observation, and what ive seen, and heard/read about.

Perhaps it maybe individuals are becoming more careless and not the contry as a whole, but i do get the feeling that some action is needed.

Another thing, obisity, (from a news report i heard a while ago) is on the increase too, not just adults but children are finding the lifestyle of take-aways, tv, gamming, the norm. And IMO this is another thing contributing to there behavior and mind frame.

:)

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Sun May 29, 2005 10:18 pm

Undercoverproject wrote: I do think that parents hold 80-90% of the responsobility (IMO) but other things do come in to it, like social life and media, but that can be dealt with by the parents, and teachers, it would be better though if some parents would learn the new parenting skills of this day and age, because they are relying on rules that are too old and not relevent.

Media has always been a popular scapegoat. A few hundered years ago, it was books and plays that were blamed for all societies ills. Then it was the Radio, Jazz, Televison, Rock, Games... The list goes on.
To a degree, they do effect people however. A ten year old plays Grand Theft Auto, and it will make an impact. This may not materialse in actions, however, but there most definately an effect. This isn't the fault of the game however - it is rated as an 18, and therefore should only be played by people of ages close to that - it IS innapropriate for a 10 year old to be playing it, and that is shown clearly on the label. If kids that age are playing games like that, who's fault is it? The parents, for buying it for them.

Lyrikal_J

Post by Lyrikal_J » Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 pm

i think children are becoming more clever instead..

look at all the kids these days...

if you go to a webmaster forum you will see bunch of super genius kids... 8O

i bet quater of the users here are kids..

war-hawk

Post by war-hawk » Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm

I think that some kids are becoming worse.

In my brothers elementary school 2 new kids in his grade (remember these kids are in 4th grade) pulled a fire alarm one day, then another day they stole matches and lit a trash can on fire in an empty class room.

Also you see more kids these days just yelling at their parents all the time. At least when I was growing up, you never talked back to your parents much less in public.
My Computer Help Site | Also known as Burian
No Support PMs Please UNLESS its about one of my mods!!!
THAT MEANS CONTACT THROUGH AIM AND MSN

My Mods| Member Area | Form to Post | User Message| Forum/Topic Ban |

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm

Lyrikal_J wrote: i think children are becoming more clever instead..

look at all the kids these days...

if you go to a webmaster forum you will see bunch of super genius kids... 8O

i bet quater of the users here are kids..

I'd say kids like that are only about 30% of the intelligent kids who are only 10% of all the kids, or thats what it seems to me anyways

Undercoverproject

Post by Undercoverproject » Sun May 29, 2005 10:34 pm

Yes, media is used as a scapegoat, ALOT, but they do have to take there share of the resposibility. But then again, no-one is so i guess they defenatly wont.

Maybe it is kids are being slowed down and thats the problem perhaps...

Parents do slow there kids down to there level so that they can deal with them.

Lets go back ...
Why is kid's behaviors becomming more worse, or wht is it getting better?
First you have to decide if there is a problem or not, (i think there is).. Then it can be awnsered either way, i think its gettin worse because parents dont behave as they should either, the dont parent, they just want to do what there kid says. Which results in no disapline, (which even though they says they dont) they want some sort of disapline.

It all depends on weather people think there is a problem or not.
And everyone (spacifically the goverment) leave things till they are really bad to take any sort of action.

But it is changeable, for now..

Well thats just my opninon.
Kind of tired now.
Take care all.
Bye :)

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon May 30, 2005 12:22 am

If things are so much worse now, then can someone explain the fact that youth crime arrests in California were 50% higher in 1974 than they were in 1998? Subjective and anecdotal "evidence" is not really evidence at all. And increased media reporting of crime does not necessarily mean that crime is going up.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

tanner_S.

Post by tanner_S. » Mon May 30, 2005 12:39 am

If kid's behavior is going down in some places I'd have to blame their peers and celeberties. They see things on MTV and other channels and whatnot, learn it, memorise it, use it.

@Lyrikal_J:

Genius! Heck, I just turned 14 (checked the rules, nothing wrong with posting age) run two sites, know PHP and HTML, learning C++, working on my virtual helicopter license, and working on my realworld fixed-wing license. Did all that on my own (except for the real-world fixed-wing).

-Tanner

Return to “General Discussion”