Children..

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
olly86

Post by olly86 »

I'm in my last year at a Sixth Form attached to a school, and the behaver is getting much, much worse. We've had two suspended recently for dealing (13, and 14). I do blame the government as shouting at kids is now considered inappropriate, and a adult can no longer single a child out for his/her behaver.

To make matters worse a new law implemented in the UK recently has banned parents hitting their own children if it's over-forceful (what the hell's that mean?). I also volunteer at a local Scout group and in the short time (1 year) that I've been doing it behaver has been getting worse, but after you've met the parents you can see why there like that :(. Parents have shouted at me for telling their "darling" child off, and wont listen to any form of explanation, what's the world coming to.

Undercoverproject

Post by Undercoverproject »

This is getting alittle out of hand.

Ok after reading all your thoughts id say that:
Overall behaviour of children is getting better
But certain areas of a contry may be getting worse.

:)

newmark

Post by newmark »

As a parent of school-aged children, the problems are not cut and dry, but here's a list of some of the problems I see...

Parents too busy (2 parents work, 0 parents watch child).
Food given today has more carbs and other energy-boosting effects.
Self-esteem is higher priority than training to do the right thing.

What is worse, is that unless I want to home-school my child (which also has negatives) there's no way to control what happens at school.

So I think that many children are more unruly than they were in the past. Remember, in the 1950s, kids brought guns to school -- because they were deer hunting before and after school. The kids that bring guns to school now aren't hunting deer.
"What do you own the world?
How do you own disorder, disorder?"

trudred

Post by trudred »

Why not? If young people are committing fewer crimes, then the assertion that they're much worse than in decades past becomes untenable.
I'm not sure how the crime rate, youth or not is of any revelance to if kids today are more "bad." Unless we have defined bad to mean criminal activity. Some may define it otherwise and/or their definitions can bea combination of various things.

xboxlive2020

Post by xboxlive2020 »

I feel parents are being more strict than they ever were. In the 50s, parents let their 8 year olds wander around all day. Like they do on TV shows like Hey Arnold in Nickelodeon. Today, that isn't true. There were as many "bad people" as there were in the past.

Candywebster

children/kids "today"

Post by Candywebster »

I'm retired, and a Dad of 4 grown up kids. I have been teaching elementary school for the last 6 years - part time - my hobby :-) :-)

In my view kids today are light years ahead of us older ones. They smarter, and every bit as "good" as we were (ur........I mean are).

I'm amazed at their ability to learn, and do it enthusiastically, and do it better, and do it IN SPITE of the hype and generally uninformed people who lament their failings.

What we need to do is to encourage them, support them, give them good guidance, give them an upbringing with TWO parents who love them. Any special failings they have they got from US, directly or indirectly.

Joe H.

TC
Former Team Member

Re: Children..

Post by TC »

Undercoverproject wrote: Who thinks childrens behavior is becoming more and more "bad"

i don't suppose the rate at which you perceive them as becoming more "bad" is in any way relational to the rate at which you are aging, hmm?

Joe, excellent post. thanks for sharing. :)
.:: 28:Ø6:42:12 ::.

Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

I think kids have a lot less respect for adults these days. I don't see any books from pyschiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the kids today are.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote: I think kids have a lot less respect for adults these days. I don't see any books from pyschiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the kids today are.

I think adults have a lot less respect for kids these days. I don't see any books from psychiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the adults today are.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

pulling his hair

Post by pulling his hair »

Oi! Stop picking on us. :p

Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:I think kids have a lot less respect for adults these days. I don't see any books from pyschiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the kids today are.

I think adults have a lot less respect for kids these days. I don't see any books from psychiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the adults today are.

So you see a lot of books about how much worse they are? Cuz I see a lot about how bad kids are getting.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?

action_man

Post by action_man »

Although this his type of incident is extremly rare it does make you wonder , this happened on Wednesday i think in the UK ...

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:I think kids have a lot less respect for adults these days. I don't see any books from pyschiatrists these days saying how much better behaved the kids today are.

So you see a lot of books about how much worse they are? Cuz I see a lot about how bad kids are getting.

Yeah, they were so much better back in the days of the Hitler Youth, right?

Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:

Yeah, they were so much better back in the days of the Hitler Youth, right?

Considering all the older people I've listened to in my past, I'd have to say yes. Are you trying to say that one bad seed controling a country with fear tactics means their whole country is bad? Or was it the soldiers that went off to defeat this guy that are bad for attacking another defenseless country?

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Yeah, they were so much better back in the days of the Hitler Youth, right?

Considering all the older people I've listened to in my past, I'd have to say yes. Are you trying to say that one bad seed controling a country with fear tactics means their whole country is bad? Or was it the soldiers that went off to defeat this guy that are bad for attacking another defenseless country?

You honestly think that Adolf Hitler somehow mind-controlled an entire country into going along with policies that they would otherwise oppose? You never studied the history of the period very much, did you? How do you think he managed to build a political power base if he was the only "bad seed" in the whole country? Past generations were worse than they are today; that whole generation was shockingly racist and dismissive of human life by modern standards.

PS. Old people saying that "kids today are no good" are not evidence of anything.

Return to “General Discussion”