Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, or a

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
H4eafy
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:33 am
Contact:

Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, or a

Post by H4eafy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:13 pm

Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, or a beggar who gives his last dollar?

I saw that on someones signature.
The richman is better because his charity will feed and house tons of people while the poor man will not even pay for someone meal.

And then the poor man will prob be living in a shelter and eating the soup from the soup kitchen that the rich man has paid for.

Any views?
www.mikestackleshop.com
Click the link at the top of that page to join my forum

Whitegreek
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:42 am

Post by Whitegreek » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:30 pm

ehind the dollar thought, to most we'll say it isn't going to do nothing, but to that begger it's his life and it means so much to him, a rich man gives the money but to him it isn't that much, he has possesions like houses and cars and such....

a begger has nothing much that last dolla would be like if the rich man gave his car, house, wife, bank account to charaity...

so the poor man is the more decent man, if we turned things on it's head so you go money how good'a person you are the world would be so much better, (sorry but I believe in the values of communism, that's all I'm saying don't reply to it..PM if you want to say somthing)

In a world where nothing is equal, the government seems to do a good job at standardising everything....

User avatar
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Posts: 7630
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:27 am
Location: Australia
Name: Lachlan Smith
Contact:

Post by smithy_dll » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:48 pm

I believe that one stems from a biblical reference.

The real answer is the poor man is richer for his good deed.

Swizec
Former Team Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Post by Swizec » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:04 pm

the rich man contributed more, and his money will do more than the beggars

but alas, the beggar is the bigger man, for giving your last savings that you infact depend upon for survival to someone else is trully honorable

User avatar
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 10940
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by battye » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:09 pm

It depends on how much the rich man has, if he only has $100,000 then both him and the poor man are equal. Otherwise I'd say the poor man is the better man, then we come to the fact that the rich man's contributions can house more benefits...

Really, they are both the 'better man' for donating in the first place. :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Swizec
Former Team Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Post by Swizec » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:16 pm

the thing with rich people is, even if they do only have 100k$, they atleast have a place to live, and if they are out of money they can sell it and ...

unless that 100k$ is in fact everything the rich man has, then they are both equaly honorable :)

which then makes the rich guy better, meh... I think this is a possible paradox

Rabidus_Lupus
Registered User
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 11:26 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Rabidus_Lupus » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:58 pm

I don't think there should be an argument here. Just my opinion though.

100,000 is no longer rich if that's what everything in your life amounts to. So I think it's safe to say a rich man giving 100,000 isn't giving all he's got. That being the case, the begger is the morally better man. The rich man is simply more helpful. Now, if the rich man uses it as a tax right off, he's simply an a$$hole. And the poor man is still the better man.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?

Darth Wong
Registered User
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, o

Post by Darth Wong » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:06 pm

H4eafy wrote: Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, or a beggar who gives his last dollar?

Neither. The rich man is still going to be rich after giving $100,000 (sorry, but $100,000 isn't even enough to buy a crappy two-bedrom townhouse in this city; it won't make a difference to a rich person) and he probably got rich in the first place by taking advantage of others, while the beggar never earned that dollar in the first place; it represents no sacrifice of work on his part since his subsistence is based on government handouts, soup kitchens, and/or shelters anyway.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Rabidus_Lupus
Registered User
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 11:26 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, o

Post by Rabidus_Lupus » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Darth Wong wrote:
H4eafy wrote:Who is the better man? Rich man who gives $100,000.00, or a beggar who gives his last dollar?

Neither. The rich man is still going to be rich after giving $100,000 (sorry, but $100,000 isn't even enough to buy a crappy two-bedrom townhouse in this city; it won't make a difference to a rich person) and he probably got rich in the first place by taking advantage of others, while the beggar never earned that dollar in the first place; it represents no sacrifice of work on his part since his subsistence is based on government handouts, soup kitchens, and/or shelters anyway.
Perhaps this begger is a begger for a living. Living under a newspaper on a park bench. Doesn't have anything to do with the government.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?

Ferdinand
Registered User
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:03 pm

Post by Ferdinand » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:43 pm

What friggin' difference does it make anyway? The beggar's dollar ain't gonna change nothing so he was a dumbass to give it away in the first place, and rich man's $100 000 000 ain't never gonna get to people who need the money so why the hell give it away? Common you people, you work hard, you need to live, why the heck would anyone give anyone esle money?! So the dumbass who is too stupid to work would get it, and you, working 10 hours a day, just give it away?! And please cut all the bullshit about some people born poor etc. If you have a friggin' brain, you ain't never gonna be poor, and if you have none you don't deserve to breath oxygen. And a beggar is a beggar. He ain't never gonna get rich anyway. He will always be poor, no matter how much money you give him. So why the hell bother?! If people will care only about themselves, then everyone will be happy cause all 6 billion will care only about themselve hence everyone will be cared about.
And anyway, who the hell is that guy on the street?! Why do I have to give him MY money which I worked hard to get?! No, man, you have hands and legs, and maybe a brain, even a primitive one - GET A FRIGGIN' JOB! Drive a cab, clean the floor, make some useless shit - doesn't matter! Work! There is plenty of work! But no, they will just live in shit, wear shit, and because they do all this - WE are somehow obliged to help them! Heck, no way! And what's with this pussy shit about forgiving African countries their debts?! Hell no! We need our money back! This is hilarious: they take money, pay for their miserable lives, and then just say: "Fuck you, reach countries! We are poor unlike you! We have no money to pay you back!" No money?! Sell your friggin' selves! We DON'T CARE! You ask for money, you give it back! No other way! Stupid polititians!

I study, I learn stuff, I work - I get money and not live in shit, simple, e?! It's the easiest thing to just give up and beg for help. Then why not shoot yourself if you have nothing to give this world, you only take?! Today I bought a cool doll (whatever you cool a Pooh toy...) from a deff woman not because I needed the toy, but because I felt sorry for her. But she didn't just come up to me and ask for me. If she did, I'd kick her sorry ass. Instead - WOW! - she WORKED to make this toy and SELL it! Amazing, eh?! I gave her money because she deserved them! And I sincerely felt sorry for her. But I never feel sorry for a friggin' looser sleeping on a bench and doing nothing. If I give hm money, I simply support his miserable no-use existance. Ain't gonna happen!
They've banned me from using an avatar so now I have no identity :(

User avatar
Nephrus
Former Team Member
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:05 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Post by Nephrus » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:55 pm

Hey Ferdinand, lose the attitude, ok? You can get your point across without having to use the language.

THanks.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you

Magnotta
Former Team Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:16 am
Location: Ontario

Post by Magnotta » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:08 pm

Ferdinand wrote: What friggin' difference does it make anyway? The beggar's dollar ain't gonna change nothing so he was a dumbass to give it away in the first place, and rich man's $100 000 000 ain't never gonna get to people who need the money so why the hell give it away? Common you people, you work hard, you need to live, why the heck would anyone give anyone esle money?! So the dumbass who is too stupid to work would get it, and you, working 10 hours a day, just give it away?! And please cut all the *beep* about some people born poor etc. If you have a friggin' brain, you ain't never gonna be poor, and if you have none you don't deserve to breath oxygen. And a beggar is a beggar. He ain't never gonna get rich anyway. He will always be poor, no matter how much money you give him. So why the hell bother?! If people will care only about themselves, then everyone will be happy cause all 6 billion will care only about themselve hence everyone will be cared about.
And anyway, who the hell is that guy on the street?! Why do I have to give him MY money which I worked hard to get?! No, man, you have hands and legs, and maybe a brain, even a primitive one - GET A FRIGGIN' JOB! Drive a cab, clean the floor, make some useless *beep* - doesn't matter! Work! There is plenty of work! But no, they will just live in *beep*, wear *beep*, and because they do all this - WE are somehow obliged to help them! Heck, no way! And what's with this *beep* *beep* about forgiving African countries their debts?! Hell no! We need our money back! This is hilarious: they take money, pay for their miserable lives, and then just say: "*beep* you, reach countries! We are poor unlike you! We have no money to pay you back!" No money?! Sell your friggin' selves! We DON'T CARE! You ask for money, you give it back! No other way! Stupid polititians!

I study, I learn stuff, I work - I get money and not live in *beep*, simple, e?! It's the easiest thing to just give up and beg for help. Then why not shoot yourself if you have nothing to give this world, you only take?! Today I bought a cool doll (whatever you cool a Pooh toy...) from a deff woman not because I needed the toy, but because I felt sorry for her. But she didn't just come up to me and ask for me. If she did, I'd kick her sorry ass. Instead - WOW! - she WORKED to make this toy and SELL it! Amazing, eh?! I gave her money because she deserved them! And I sincerely felt sorry for her. But I never feel sorry for a friggin' looser sleeping on a bench and doing nothing. If I give hm money, I simply support his miserable no-use existance. Ain't gonna happen!


what if the money is going to help starving kid's in Etheopia, or just people dying in Africa in general? Or is their fault as well, since they magically choose to be born their in order to enjoy the hot weather and get to go on safari's every day? :roll:

and what about the homeless guy who actually did a legitimate job for a living, and got fired at a time when he had an incredible number of medical bills to pay, and his insurance company denied him? Hmmm, suddenly he's on the street with no house. So, just get a job eh? Ok, walk in for an interview with your street torn clothes. Hmmmm, rejected of course. How about that return phone nuumber in order to let you know if you got the job? Well, most people don't know the nmbers to pay phones and not all pay phones take incomming calls. Heck, the guy can't even put an address on his resume, unless it's "Park Bench". And let's say that doesn't matter tio the begger, let's say he's begging simply in order so he can buy paper and a pen to make a resume in the first place so he can try and get a job. So your saying "screw you. get a job and then you can get paper and a pen to get a job"?

Either way, it no where mentioned where the money is going, so for all you know it could be going to help those in Africa. Or hmmm, maybe this is back in January and it was helping those hurt durng the Tsunami. Oh but wait, I bet you assume that they deserved it out of karma for getting to live in a tropical paradise in the first place.

Pballer
Registered User
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 12:31 am

Post by Pballer » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:16 pm

who did the most good? - the rich man

who is the better man?- the poor guy.

The poor guy gave up his last dollar man. Thats all he had. The money that the rich man gave was probabally just left over and he didnt really care.

To put it simply, the poor guy actually sacraficed to give stuff. Man.

wGEric
Former Team Member
Posts: 8805
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Friday
Name: Eric Faerber
Contact:

Post by wGEric » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Here's something to ponder.

If you have $80, would you be willing to give up a penny? Most people would. Now Bill Gates, he has something like $8 billion. A penny to him is $1 million dollars.
Eric

Rabidus_Lupus
Registered User
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 11:26 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Rabidus_Lupus » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:22 pm

wGEric wrote: Here's something to ponder.

If you have $80, would you be willing to give up a penny? Most people would. Now Bill Gates, he has something like $8 billion. A penny to him is $1 million dollars.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get us to ponder. I'm pretty sure anyone with 80 dollars would be willing to give away a penny. Not to say they'll do it over and over like someone will probably ask here. Bill Gates gives quite a bit to cherities.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?

Locked

Return to “General Discussion”