China's homegrown holocaust

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

China's homegrown holocaust

Post by Darth Wong »

According to the Chinese government (which just happens to be the monopolistic state producer of cigarettes), cigarette smoking is good for you:
The Globe and Mail wrote: In China, cigarettes are a kind of wonder drug

By GEOFFREY YORK
Saturday, June 11, 2005 Updated at 3:27 AM EDT
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Guiyang, China — Here's some exciting medical news from the Chinese government: Smoking is great for your health.

Cigarettes, according to China's tobacco authorities, are an excellent way to prevent ulcers.

They also reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease, relieve schizophrenia, boost your brain cells, speed up your thinking, improve your reactions and increase your working efficiency.

And all those warnings about lung cancer? Nonsense.

You're more likely to get cancer from cooking smoke than from your cigarette habit.

Welcome to the bizarre parallel universe of China's state-owned tobacco monopoly, the world's most successful cigarette-marketing agency.

With annual sales of 1.8 trillion cigarettes, the Chinese monopoly is responsible for almost one-third of all cigarettes smoked on the planet today.

If you believe the official website of the tobacco monopoly, cigarettes are a kind of miracle drug: solving your health problems, helping your lifestyle, strengthening the equality of women, and even eliminating loneliness and depression.

“Smoking removes your troubles and worries,” says a 37-year-old female magazine editor, quoted approvingly on the website. “Holding a cigarette is like having a walking stick in your hand, giving you support.

“Quitting smoking would bring you misery, shortening your life.”

Such statements are widely believed in China.

Two-thirds of Chinese men are smokers, and surveys show that as many as 90 per cent believe their habit has little effect on their health, or is good for them.

Even in China's medical community, 60 per cent of male doctors are smokers. Few are aware of the studies forecasting that cigarettes will soon be responsible for one-third of all premature deaths among Chinese men.

For the anti-smoking movement, China is the ultimate challenge. Nonetheless, this week, a group of Canadian experts arrived in southwestern China in a bid to convince Chinese smokers that cigarettes might not be quite as beneficial as they believe.

They distributed anti-smoking posters, visited cancer patients, showed the graphic warnings on Canadian cigarette packs, and lectured on how the anti-smoking campaign has reduced Canada's lung-cancer rate. But they admitted that they face an uphill struggle in a country where the tobacco industry provides 60 million jobs and 10 per cent of national tax revenue.

“The magnitude of the problem is overwhelming,” said Jean Couture, a Quebec surgeon who has been travelling to China since 1990 to work on cancer-education programs.

The article goes on to state that an estimated 1.3 million Chinese are dying every year as a result of cigarette smoking. At what point does deliberate health misinformation cause such dire consequences that we can call it a holocaust? Can you even blame the smokers for making bad choices when their own government is feeding them these falsehoods?
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Very disturbing that any govenment is effectively killing their population by feading them lies :?

And chinese account for a deacent chunk of New Zealand's population (We're a british colony, but it dosen't look like it in our cities =\), so here's hoping this state of mind won't override our stance :(
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

I suppose their looking for more outlandish ways to enforce population control than ever before.
Systems Engineering
rick`

Post by rick` »

If they're looking for population control and it works.... each to their own I guess.
Doesn't mean I like it though, that article is really disturbing.

Anyhow, I guess you can't blame the chinese population for smoking when you have junk like that floating around the place...
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

If the Chinese government is using this as population control, at least the people still do have the choice of weather or not to smoke. Yeah they're getting blasted with good information about it, but we get information about how much fast food is bad for us and still we go to McDonalds. I think the worlds population needs to be reduced anyway.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote: If the Chinese government is using this as population control, at least the people still do have the choice of weather or not to smoke.

A choice based on misinformation is not a truly free choice. That's why we have laws against fraudulent misrepresentation.
Yeah they're getting blasted with good information about it, but we get information about how much fast food is bad for us and still we go to McDonalds.

Then the people who do that are making a free choice. The people of China are not.
I think the worlds population needs to be reduced anyway.

You obviously aren't a humanitarian.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:If the Chinese government is using this as population control, at least the people still do have the choice of weather or not to smoke.

A choice based on misinformation is not a truly free choice. That's why we have laws against fraudulent misrepresentation.
Does china have the internet?
I think the worlds population needs to be reduced anyway.

You obviously aren't a humanitarian.
Yeah, that'd about sum it up.
If there is only one God, and he is the top of the chain of command in life, where did he come from?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:A choice based on misinformation is not a truly free choice. That's why we have laws against fraudulent misrepresentation.

Yes, if you ignore the fact that they heavily censor it.
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:A choice based on misinformation is not a truly free choice. That's why we have laws against fraudulent misrepresentation.

I looked it up. If I were a chinese citizen I'd be heavily curious as to weather or not the government is telling the truth about anything. Considering what happens when you smoke your first cigarette, I would think people would have the common sense to know that maybe there's something wrong with it.
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote: If I were a chinese citizen I'd be heavily curious as to weather or not the government is telling the truth about anything.

That's a hell of an assumption to make for someone who is, in fact, not a chinese citizen, and has not lived his entire life in the Chinese misinformation machine.
Rabidus_Lupus wrote: Considering what happens when you smoke your first cigarette, I would think people would have the common sense to know that maybe there's something wrong with it.

I have heard people in this country, the United Kingdom, who have been provided with a free and open education and access to many valuable pools of knowledge, say such glorious things as "Cigarettes aren't really bad for you, are they?". Furthermore, for a long period of time, it was the majority view in Western societies that smoking was good for you, because, you know, inhaling smoke must clean out your lungs and keep you vigorous.

I would think you would have the historical knowledge to be aware of this.
super fun rainbow colour sig
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:

I looked it up. If I were a chinese citizen I'd be heavily curious as to weather or not the government is telling the truth about anything. Considering what happens when you smoke your first cigarette, I would think people would have the common sense to know that maybe there's something wrong with it.

I doubt it. Most people will have lived their lives surrounded constantly by govermental propoganda.
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Pit wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:If I were a chinese citizen I'd be heavily curious as to weather or not the government is telling the truth about anything.

That's a hell of an assumption to make for someone who is, in fact, not a chinese citizen, and has not lived his entire life in the Chinese misinformation machine.
I lived most of my life in America. Information seems to be quite available there. I am in fact suspicious about how much truth my government speaks. Hmm, I think that means its safe to say I'd be suspicious living in a country where the government is blocking everything on the internet.
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:Considering what happens when you smoke your first cigarette, I would think people would have the common sense to know that maybe there's something wrong with it.

I have heard people in this country, the United Kingdom, who have been provided with a free and open education and access to many valuable pools of knowledge, say such glorious things as "Cigarettes aren't really bad for you, are they?". Furthermore, for a long period of time, it was the majority view in Western societies that smoking was good for you, because, you know, inhaling smoke must clean out your lungs and keep you vigorous.

I would think you would have the historical knowledge to be aware of this.
I remember in the 4th grade seeing a lung of an elderly person that died, it was quite black. They were the smoker. The other lung, of the non-smoker, was quite pink. You hack and caugh when you take that first cigarette. Yeah, I'd say pretty much in this day and age people should know there's something wrong with it. I'm sorry, but it's hard for me to imagine someone breathing in smoke, hacking and caughing, and saying to themselves, "This must be quite good for me." If people in countries like the U.S.A think smoking is good for you, I don't care how old they are, they'd be quite deep in denial.
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Pezzoni wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:

I doubt it. Most people will have lived their lives surrounded constantly by govermental propoganda.
You think there's no governmental propoganda in the U.S? People question our government all the time, most of them are called actovists. Because they realize something might be wrong. Just because the government supresses with propoganda doesn't mean people don't know what is right or wrong.
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

Rabidus_Lupus wrote: You think there's no governmental propoganda in the U.S? People question our government all the time, most of them are called actovists. Because they realize something might be wrong. Just because the government supresses with propoganda doesn't mean people don't know what is right or wrong.

The two are so dissimilar that it is absolutely impossible to make such a comparison.
Rabidus_Lupus

Post by Rabidus_Lupus »

Pezzoni wrote:
Rabidus_Lupus wrote:You think there's no governmental propoganda in the U.S? People question our government all the time, most of them are called actovists. Because they realize something might be wrong. Just because the government supresses with propoganda doesn't mean people don't know what is right or wrong.

The two are so dissimilar that it is absolutely impossible to make such a comparison.
Please tell me how that is so dissimilar.

Return to “General Discussion”