The worst thing someone has done to your computer.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
NewGuy

The worst thing someone has done to your computer.

Post by NewGuy »

Ok, so we have heard what people have done to their own machines and similar stories. Does anyone here have any stories regarding someone else damaging your computer in any way?

My personal experience (sorry for the book):

A long time ago (maybe 3-4 years) down under ...
I just spent months saving for a new IBM 40 Gig HDD and finally the day came when I took delivery of the package. I promptly removed the case of my sad ol' box to install.

At the same time that I was doing this a friend of my brother was visiting, who comes into where my machine is all curious about what I was doing. Apparently he is an intelligent (mensa material) person and does well in school, etc

I tell him that I just got this new hard drive that I have been waiting for for so long and that I can't wait to ditch the old 500MB drive (ok you can stop pointing and laughing at me in the past now). I direct his attention to the drive (laying on a static shield) that I am ready to install - expecting him to only take a look at it. Anyhow, he proceeds to pick it up - I figure seeing he already has it in his hands and is holding it carefully I just have to tell him to be careful with it as it is brand new. As he finishes reading everything and examining it he puts it back on the table with what I consider more than necessary force making a "thud" as it hits the table. I cringe at the sound and he ends up leaving.

After the disk has been formatted, the OS installed and going for its first defrag - uh oh - there is a bad block (a lone bad block). I have no proof that he caused it as it was the first time that I even saw the drive powered, but, to this day my gut instinct says he caused it.

Anyhow, it turned out a few weeks had gone when it was suggested to me that I should have it replaced under warranty. I thought this was a good idea so I contacted the supplier for a replacing. On the phone I was shocked to learn that they would not replace it as they had not yet received payment. I rationalized with them that they were aware before shipping the drive off that payment would be COD, that they had arranged the courier and that if I had not presented the money - I would not have the drive.

They then asked me for the name of the courier - I have no idea and tell them this. They are not too happy, I let them know that I am sorry that they have not received payment but firmly tell them that I will not send them another payment as I signed for it and that they will simply have to follow up the courier for my payment. So I just have to hang onto what I have - apparently.

The drive ended up lasting me until last year where it started to develop more bad blocks. At this stage it got retired.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I'm very protective. Broken CD and Headphones are the latest, but that's it actually :?
FF8Jake`

Post by FF8Jake` »

Meh, i've never had anyone screw up my stuff. I'm more the type to make people in IRC do stupid things for my own morbidly selfish entertainment; though I just limit that to shutting down windows or exiting the chat client.

I could have had someone reformat their drive once, but I had mercy on the poor soul and just had them shut down the computer instead.
Caution, joking on a webforum can sometimes lead to this: Video footage
Please, think before posting about religion/bush/war/law enforcement. Please, save a keyboard.
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

lol im one of these middle class kids that live on the sprawling outskirts of london... i was cleaning up my case one day and couldnt be bothered to finish it that night.. (was caked in dust and general cable cleaning was needed) so yeah i go to bed.. get up go off to school the next morning, case side still off..

I get back a few hours later case intact.. but a little cleaner than before, i think nothing of it. i finish the job turn it on and dont get anywhere, it doesnt even start, so i remove the BIOS battery and then try it again a few minutes later... Stil nothing...

By this time im getting worried and the next day i take it down to a local PC repair shop, they had to replace the Motherboard, Processor and Power Supply.

I finally tracked down the culprit, and to my annoyance the cleaner had been in and seen the dusty little box and thought wow! and had decided to have fun with a duster... The rest speaks for itself... 260quid down the drain and a cleaner fired lol...
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I've never really ahd anyone screw up my computer...

well maybe the time I managed to fry the motherboard when I was "fixing" stuff and dropepd the screwdriver on it (oops), and the repair people fried also the CPU and powersupply so I had to pay for those too...

ok I'm not sure about the CPU, but the power supply was absolutely fine when it left my hands!
phulaeo

Post by phulaeo »

Well, just a couple days ago, I was replacing my Tt2 with another, much quieter Thermaltake CPU fan, and apparently my Abit didn't like it... so it decided to beep like a banshee (well, if they beeped) as soon as I booted. Turns out it thought there was no fan, though the fan definitely is working, and --

BUGGER, I just opened the uGuru to check my proc temp and it started doing the "omgsomething'swrongbeepofdoom" again.

Anyway, the point of this was that the worst thing I've ever done to a computer was building it with an Abit board. Poor OC'ing, obtuse BIOS, weak performance next to the DFI's I prefer to use. :evil:
supercarz.co.uk

Post by supercarz.co.uk »

nuthins happened 2 me
Caedmon
Former Team Member
Name: Charles Flanders

Post by Caedmon »

Aside from being told (as of now) to remove your signature as it's too big ;-)

Check your PMs.

*puts the thread back on topic*
Former Moderator Team Member 2004 - 2012
phulaeo

Post by phulaeo »

Nice. :mrgreen:

UPS ruined one of my comps... though it was almost certainly my fault, since I left a massive copper heatsink attached to my proc. -_-
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

That reminds me - never trust a janitor/cleaner around power points... they cannot be trusted - especially the not too bright ones.

This one happened last year - I had a family member stay temporarily who happened to hire a cleaner, I didn't/don't like the idea of someone cleaning up after me - but was insisted on the grounds that we (small company) would be more productive without having to worry about vacuuming etc.

So we give in and let them get a cleaner along. Cleaner arrives one day and all goes fine until she wants to do some vacuuming. I happened to be in the room at this time and very explicitly said "do NOT use this power" (a power grid laying next to a server) - and went on to further direct her to specific wall plug for that room. I basically plugged her into the wall.

So, I am asked out of the room for about 5 minuets and when I return I find a development server and my machine are powered down. The cleaner had gone against my explicit command and gone and plugged the vacuumed cleaner into the server's power grid and blown the UPS - great. Luckily we still had both of our machines unaffected with us on unfiltered power.

Now no cleaners turn up anymore AND all of the power grids on UPS power have those plastic baby protectors in any available sockets.
M@tR|x

Post by M@tR|x »

When I was 13, Pit downloaded a maliicous file onto my computer, somehow causing the moniter to bork. :( I can only but assume it wasn't intentional. :?
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

M@tR|x wrote: When I was 13, Pit downloaded a maliicous file onto my computer, somehow causing the moniter to bork. :( I can only but assume it wasn't intentional. :?

I changed the resolution. Do you count that as "downloading malicious mouse clicks"? 8O
super fun rainbow colour sig
M@tR|x

Post by M@tR|x »

Pit wrote:
M@tR|x wrote:When I was 13, Pit downloaded a maliicous file onto my computer, somehow causing the moniter to bork. :( I can only but assume it wasn't intentional. :?

I changed the resolution. Do you count that as "downloading malicious mouse clicks"? 8O

So the moniter was fine for months, and then the one day you happen to get your hands on it, after spending the dayt downloading various things, it dies on me. Coincidence? I think not :P
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

M@tR|x wrote: So the moniter was fine for months, and then the one day you happen to get your hands on it, after spending the dayt downloading various things, it dies on me. Coincidence? I think not :P

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I would like to inform you that this is the same person that left trojans and backdoors on his system for months knowingly because he was afraid that removing them would damage his system. For all I know, they are still there.

I rest my case.
super fun rainbow colour sig
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

This could be interesting :P

Do we have any proof like AV logs etc that he did in fact have these "Trojans" on his "Computer" for "extended" periods of time?

Return to “General Discussion”