Newly Discovered 10th Planet

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:24 pm

Riamus wrote: I do wonder as to why Roman names for the planets survived, but the Roman name for the sun did not. Does anyone know?

I'm just speculating now, but it's probably got to do with the fact that there is only one sun in our vicinity and there was never any need for a naming scheme for possible suns (in the solar system). By the time stars had to be named there could be no doubt about what is meant by the sun. (Same reasoning could be applied to the moon and earth for that matter).

BUt I like the sound of certain adjectives like in the lunar night, the solar flares, the terrestrial atmosphere, it has a certain grandeur (at least in the english language ;) )
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:35 pm

English borrows a lot from other languages, the sun wasn't sol because it took its name from a different language. See here for a deeper etymology and some translations.

Kazer0

Re: Wording

Post by Kazer0 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:59 pm

iloserman wrote: I think you also missed Riamus' point. I don't think that people in Brazil, or Spain, [ Yes I do realize that one is porteagues, and the other spanish ], go around calling the closest star "The Sun", if I'm not mistaken it is "El Sol".

Well, if that is true, then it would seem the only acceptable time to use that name would be when speaking in the Spanish language. After all, I don't call a table the tableau when im speaking English.

The point here is that the name of the Sun, is the Sun. If you speak a diffrent language, then it may be called something else, but its official name is the Sun.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Kazer0 wrote: After all, I don't call a table the tableau when im speaking English.

Or 'el mesa', which is the actual spanish word for table.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Flaming_cows wrote: Or 'el mesa', which is the actual spanish word for table.

"la mesa" me parece mas correcto. :p
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:38 pm

Flaming_cows wrote:
Kazer0 wrote:After all, I don't call a table the tableau when im speaking English.

Or 'el mesa', which is the actual spanish word for table.

Welcome to french 101. tableau = table.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration

ChaosBringer

Post by ChaosBringer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Flaming_cows wrote: Or 'el mesa', which is the actual spanish word for table.

your wrong its "La mesa" because its a feminine object...i am spanish :P

01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110101 01110011 00100001

rick`

Post by rick` » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:21 am

This is why I hate learning new languages :P

Anyhow, IMO. There is only 9. The rest are just rocks ;)

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:33 am

Flamebait awards left and right! My compatriot is certainly most deserving of course, but it would be unfair to include the others who are working so hard.

Anyone got a link to a diagram of the orbit? It would be interesting to see.
Flaming_cows wrote: I think the Xena suggestion is just some astronomy-nerd's obsession/fantasy. ;)

Yes, and probably not even the "astronomy nerd" in question — it's quite incredible how quickly an off-hand comment or misquotation can turn into "so, did you hear he's gay?" and so forth.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

RunningWolf

Post by RunningWolf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:24 am

This confusion about Sol is beginning to intrigue me. I thought as I have in the past on a star chart seen the label Sol, don't ask were or when I have forgotten by now but I am sure it was not a game. Not only that Sol is a translation of sun, but that there are a) many suns b) many solar systems.

Taking in the fact that we at one point had limited knowledge of the solar system I got the impression that calling our solar system, "Solar System or Sun" would not be how it is, instead "Sol" which incidentally means Sun was chosen not just as the name of the sun but as the solar system as well as a whole.

Any thoughts or corrections?

(Really who calls our Solar System, Solar Sytem - now that I think about it I think I saw the term Sol in an atlas somewhere that had a page on the solar system :? )
"Choice is free. Consequence is costly."

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:44 am

Kanuck wrote: Anyone got a link to a diagram of the orbit? It would be interesting to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... y_2005.gif
Kanuck wrote: Yes, and probably not even the "astronomy nerd" in question — it's quite incredible how quickly an off-hand comment or misquotation can turn into "so, did you hear he's gay?" and so forth.

It was just a joke. I don't know what gay rumors have to do with anything, either.

Riamus

Post by Riamus » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:43 pm

It doesn't even look like that is orbiting the sun... Probably just a bad view that makes it look that way, of course. :)

It's interesting that Pluto is at a slight angle and then this is even great angle. I wonder if it's possible that the plane the planets are on twists as it gets further out. Maybe not... just a thought from someone who knows relatively little about astronomy. :)
Kakkoii Translation Team
格好いい 翻訳

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:57 pm

RunningWolf wrote: This confusion about Sol is beginning to intrigue me. I thought as I have in the past on a star chart seen the label Sol, don't ask were or when I have forgotten by now but I am sure it was not a game. Not only that Sol is a translation of sun, but that there are a) many suns b) many solar systems.

Taking in the fact that we at one point had limited knowledge of the solar system I got the impression that calling our solar system, "Solar System or Sun" would not be how it is, instead "Sol" which incidentally means Sun was chosen not just as the name of the sun but as the solar system as well as a whole.

(Really who calls our Solar System, Solar Sytem - now that I think about it I think I saw the term Sol in an atlas somewhere that had a page on the solar system :? )

Now this may seem confusing: Other Suns are called 'Suns' because they are named after our 'Sun' because they are the same type of stellar object. Same with 'Solar System'.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Kazer0 wrote: Now this may seem confusing: Other Suns are called 'Suns' because they are named after our 'Sun' because they are the same type of stellar object. Same with 'Solar System'.

I was always under the impression that "a sun" was used for stars with a planetary system (and also that solar system was strictly limited to our planetary system).
I googled a bit but came up with the universe (a vast emptiness ;) ).

RunningWolf

Post by RunningWolf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:33 am

Kazer0 wrote:
RunningWolf wrote:This confusion about Sol is beginning to intrigue me. I thought as I have in the past on a star chart seen the label Sol, don't ask were or when I have forgotten by now but I am sure it was not a game. Not only that Sol is a translation of sun, but that there are a) many suns b) many solar systems.

Now this may seem confusing: Other Suns are called 'Suns' because they are named after our 'Sun' because they are the same type of stellar object. Same with 'Solar System'.
Would you like to know something even more confusing?

If we call everything Sun, Solar System, or Sol without declaring it a unique name where does one go?

Lets take an example, lets just say that every town and city in my country was called City.
Question: "Hey buddy I need to know how to go to get to City."
Reply after looking at a map, "Which one?"
See the problem, if we call everything by what they are then when there are multiple occurrences of that object we have no clue about differences. The solution is to make it individual.

We don't call our home system solar system. >.<
We may call each sun a sun, but not Sun! (note the capitalisation.) Back when these things were first discovered it isn't like they knew of the many solar systems or suns anyway. There would have been at one point in history that a star was simply considered a star and a sun is something entirely different. Things got interesting when we learned that the sun is a star and so forth with the discoveries.
"Choice is free. Consequence is costly."

Return to “General Discussion”