What is the next big step for Google?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

What is the next big step for Google?

Post by battye » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:06 am

We all know Google have revolutionized the web, but what do you think they will do next?

I reckon one of two things:

They'll either

- Provide internet access (ISP)
- Provide webhosting (After offering Gmail, it seems logical this will soon happen).

I posted this on Sitepoint, and some very valid points were raised there too, such as giving even more exposure to ads.

What better way to give ads more exposure, than by giving free webhosting, with adsense at the bottom of every page?
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

Viddy O' Car

Post by Viddy O' Car » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 am

Hmmm... I don't think they're the type to start yet another "Free hosting if you let us put a banner on your page" service.
Somehow, Google has managed to preserve their "underdog" status (maybe its because their competition is Microsoft) although they have become quite a giant. By starting such services, I would think that they will get more and more people to start hating them instead of loving them, and before you know it, we may have another AOL :P
I think I read something about them looking into VOIP

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:30 am

I wouldn't bet on Google providing any traditional free hosting service. I think that wouldn't be hypeable enough, and it would be too hard to disguise the fact that 99% of the content would be "hello I bought some new shoes today here is a picture of my new shoes they go on my feet".

I think they'll probably be happy with their structured content services, such as Blogger and Picasa. Perhaps we'll see some high-profile integration of their services (Do they have integration already? I don't know). Alternatively, they could invent or buy another service to add to that portfolio.
super fun rainbow colour sig

skuld the great

Post by skuld the great » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:29 pm

World domination
Skuld

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:41 pm

skuld the great wrote: World domination

Well, Microsoft and McDonald's have already reached that point. A third party just spreads the amount of control around.

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Yet Coca Cola is the world's most recognisable brand, but last I heard it was loosing ground.

Gadget Wizard

Post by Gadget Wizard » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:20 pm

Google use to be a great, unobtrusive place to begin a websearch or a usenet search, but they have ruined the usenet interface and filled it up with ADs.

Their search engine is probably next.

The google adsense campaign is really starting to get on my nerves. Seems like more and more I end up on a contentless website, with only my search phrase on it, and a bunch of targeted google ADs.

I know I shouldn't lay the blame on google but they are bear some of the responsibility for it getting to this point. :evil:
Gadget Wizard

Silverhawk060

Post by Silverhawk060 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Gadget Wizard wrote: Google use to be a great, unobtrusive place to begin a websearch or a usenet search, but they have ruined the usenet interface and filled it up with ADs.

Their search engine is probably next.

The google adsense campaign is really starting to get on my nerves. Seems like more and more I end up on a contentless website, with only my search phrase on it, and a bunch of targeted google ADs.

I know I shouldn't lay the blame on google but they are bear some of the responsibility for it getting to this point. :evil:

i agree with the useless content thing... but it was going to happen anyway.. and yes they could do a better job filtering such sites out.

IMO, the next thing google should implement is image searching(as in searching for images using patterns/images rather than words). If they can somehow pull that off it would be a revolutionary step.

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:18 pm

I thought they were going to develop an os to compete with windows

Yawner

Post by Yawner » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 pm

I think...

Image and Audio Searching...

Image searching (you upload a photo and it searches via mimicking what it sees)
Audio Searching (you upload an audio file and it finds the same style of audio in a large Audio Database)...

Im uncertain as to the Audio searching but im about 99% sure we will see the Image Mimick Searching within the next year...
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:50 pm

if machines start reading images we'll need something more that visual confirmation

David Robinson

Post by David Robinson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:06 pm

I don't think the next big thing from Google will be home-brewed. They're going to buy out even more companies/products.

*=Matt=*

Post by *=Matt=* » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:59 am

Well I read on a different site that they are going to have a domain name buying thing soo my guess is web hosting ;)

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:49 am

They just recently purchased this company:

http://www.dodgeball.com/
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Yur1

Post by Yur1 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:54 am

Google should make It's own OS!

Return to “General Discussion”