Google Talk, the new Instant Messenger

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:12 am

Meh, it's nothing special. The only good thing is it has GMail integration. IMO, MSN is more mature in terms of features, and it's more of a "universal" IM client. It'll be interesting to see if this changes though

Still, IRC pwns 8)

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:39 am

Different IM clients seem to have very high concentrations in certain populations, many have reached critical mass where it's a very long and near impossible process to change. AOL has reached that state in many places in America and MSNM seems to be in that state where I live.

Think of it this way, there is already a phone network connecting an entire population, now someone comes in and tries to install a new phone network that is incompatible. Essentially that is what this is. You have these isolated populations on the internet which cannot talk to one another. This phone network requires tonnes of copper, time to install and each household/person has to pay for a phone (get the client) and setup an account with the provider (google) and pay the phone bill (bandwidth). And of course people don't want two telephones on their wall, one to call friends, the other to call people in other populations.

Herein lies the problem. I can already use MSNM to talk to all my friends, why should I place another phone on my wall to essentially talk to no-one.

BlueRook

Post by BlueRook » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:06 am

From their FAQ, it looks like they might move to make their client a multi-protocol client.
Google wrote: 15. What new features are you working on?

... we believe strongly in user choice and open standards, and we are committed to letting users access Google Talk using the client and platform of their choice, as well as to enabling our users to talk with users from other service providers.

Emphasis mine. That to me looks like they are going to look into making it multi-protocol and not just clients that support the XMPP protocol. That is just my take though.

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:17 am

Jabber clients don't need to be "multi protocol"; that is handled server-side with gateways to other networks.

[Edit: This post sucks]
super fun rainbow colour sig

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:32 pm

So Google released a Jabber client. I don't think this is anything special.

Natan

Post by Natan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:06 pm

It supposedly is compatible with other multi-protocol clients such as Gaim and Trillian. I haven't tried it myself yet as I'm not at my own computer, but I do hope to put this to the test. I do think there is hope for this thing yet. :)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:44 pm

It's only compatible in that it's all done in Jabber/XMPP, which some other clients already support.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:53 pm

Flaming_cows wrote: So Google released a Jabber client. I don't think this is anything special.

Right ... and ... wrong IMHO. Right in that it really doesn't look "special", doesn't appear to offer capabilities that other clients don't, etc. Wrong in that this is excellent for the Jabber/XMPP protocol which has, till this, languished as the perpetual "has been" internet IM solution. With Google promoting it (as they surely will all be it indirectly via "their" client) it's sure to further its use.

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:16 pm

What it will actually achieve for Jabber/XMPP remains to be seen, many people are firmly set in their ways when it comes to IM and unless Google can offer a serious advantage over such long-used services such as AIM or MSNM, it won't do much of anything.

Natan

Post by Natan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:34 pm

I can't seem to get it to work with my Gaim :( And I followed all their instructions to the letter.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

spacemarc

Post by spacemarc » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:06 pm

you which error obtain?
PHP and MySQL News Publishing free script: www.spacemarc.it

Natan

Post by Natan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:20 am

Code: Select all

username@gmail.com/Gaim has been disconnected.
Wed Aug 24 22:18:58 2005
Couldn't connect to host

Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:59 am

smithy_dll wrote: Different IM clients seem to have very high concentrations in certain populations, many have reached critical mass where it's a very long and near impossible process to change. AOL has reached that state in many places in America and MSNM seems to be in that state where I live.

That's true. Where I live in Canada, AIM is practically unheard of, while MSN is used by everyone. At the same time, I've been a member before on a forum with a predominently American userbase, and everyone talked on AIM, while virtually no one had any MSN contact informtation. That's going to be a large problem for Google, not to mention it will already suffer from the fact that you still need an invite to get a Gmail account. I mean, with MSN anyone can get a free hotmail account, no problem, and you don't even need a hotmail account, you can get your current email address to work with MSN, same with AIM. You need Gmail to use Google talk, and that's going to set things back a bit.

Not to mention the aggrevation of adding your contacts over again, when you can already easily talk to them with your current IM client. Oh well, like I said before, I like Google, so good luck to them.

stu15

Post by stu15 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 am

bigbear wrote: I wonder if someone is in the process of making a Google Talk button for phpBB. :)

I won’t be surprised if there is a mod/hack out in another few months that have that :)
A Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him :) || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk

smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:56 am

stu15 wrote:
bigbear wrote:I wonder if someone is in the process of making a Google Talk button for phpBB. :)

I won’t be surprised if there is a mod/hack out in another few months that have that :)

Someone already has one in Development, check the MOD Development forum.

Return to “General Discussion”