Kanye West And His George Bush Comments

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Doe Ray Me

Kanye West And His George Bush Comments

Post by Doe Ray Me » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:22 pm

Well what are your thoughts about what he said, for people that didnt see what he said, i have uploaded a clip

Watch

Please keep this discussion on topic

phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Post by phantomk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:29 am

I'm not entirely sure if his last comment is true, I don't believe he "hates" black people, but I do believe he is an insufficient leader to realize his mistakes and correct them. I have not kept entirely up to date on the missfortunes of the people over in New Orleans. But if it is true about the permission to shoot black ppl, then thier will be a serious issue that will have everlasting effects in the US.

I can not comment on the media remarks as I have said above I have not kept entirely up to date, and have not watched any news reports on the topic.

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:03 am

I care not about the comments by Kanye most recently, but upon reading about it in the paper, instantly came to mind did the time he started whining like a bitch when he didn't win that award... whatever it was from... MTV, I suppose. Someone like that I wouldn't really take seriously, at least initially (as in, until he says something of substance when he decides to whine), and his words weren't exactly enlightening anyway.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:08 am

2 things.

Was the clip exactly what was said ? It looked like they had cut off the transmission at the end.

Also it appeared as if he was being "forced" to some degree as to what he was saying. He looked very jumpy and hesitant to say what he was saying.

[ot]
A link to the awards thing, as I don't know what you are talking about :S I don't watch those kinds of shows :)

EDIT: It's nice to see a Canadian up thier on an American Station :)
[/ot]
Last edited by phantomk on Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:09 am

He was hessitent because he was going to say all that stuff, how would you feel if you were on television talking about how George Bush is saying that black people are stealing food, but white people are not.

But you can understand what he means, when they say WHITE people are just FINDING food, but BLACK people are STEALING the food, whats up with that?

And they were reading from an Auto-Cue till he said what he did, so they had "they have been given permission to come down here and shoot us" on the Auto-Cue, so that must be correct, right?

Rather racist, right?

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:13 am

Doe Ray Me wrote: But you can understand what he means, when they say WHITE people are just FINDING food, but BLACK people are STEALING the food, whats up with that?

Unless the accustations about "racial profileing" are true from the media, and I am not sure if they are or not since I get Canadian stations, I won't comment on them unless someone can provide proof ?

I'm not saying its not true, I would just prefer some tanjable evidence before I say something :)

Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:22 am

Here

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/30/bl ... ot_wh.html
http://okrasoup.typepad.com/black_looks ... d_loo.html
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/ ... ex_np.html

Need more?

btw, why was his comments censored out of the West Coast show? they never heard of freedom of speech, If we are coming to a place in time where people cant speak thier own mind, then i dont know whats going to happen :|

By censoring Grammy-winning rapper Kanye West's remarks critical of President Bush during its West Coast feed of the program Friday night, the network violated the most moving and essential moment in an otherwise sterile, self-serving corporate broadcast.

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:59 am

Doe Ray Me wrote: btw, why was his comments censored out of the West Coast show? they never heard of freedom of speech, If we are coming to a place in time where people cant speak thier own mind, then i dont know whats going to happen :|

What you have to understand is that it is ultimitley the networks responsibility. I completely agree with you, however it is not his network, and unfortunatly they don't want to get into trouble with the current administration. It's all politics and thats really sad if you think about it :\

{ARC}Rep.A_guard

Post by {ARC}Rep.A_guard » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:05 am

hehe i sorry but thats kinda funny

no affence...

phantomk

Post by phantomk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:13 am

{ARC}Rep.A_guard wrote: hehe i sorry but thats kinda funny

no affence...

What part ? The racial profileing or the network censorship ?

iloserman

Post by iloserman » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:46 am

Doe Ray Me wrote: btw, why was his comments censored out of the West Coast show? they never heard of freedom of speech, If we are coming to a place in time where people cant speak thier own mind, then i dont know whats going to happen :|

You can't speak your mind for good reason. If people were allowed to say whatever they want, whast keeping them from yelling Fire in a crowded theater? You can say what you like, so long as you don't endanger anyone elses life. Saying you think bush dosn't like black people over national television could start a riot. Not to mention that he has almsot zero proof, if anyone it would be the head of FEMA, or DHS.

That's dangerous, saying bush is a racist. Sure hes not the most motivational speaker in the world, but all you need is one trigger to set off anger and dispair about the current situation in the South.

Considering that the majority of people who stayed [ and I'm not saying they had a choice ], were below average income minorities, the ones with out cars, or any form of transportation out. There are so many massive ammounts of land to span across, I'm suprised they were even able to rescue 300,000 since a few days ago, and the number keeps growing. So most the people are a minority, and someone in gov't didn't set up the right plan to rescue them, now that makes them a racist?

So my thoughts on what he said are true, We need to send help down to the victims of this natural disaster, we need to help out, because we can help out. I know lots of people in Texas, California and even up north by me in Virgina are opening their homes and sponsoring a family from the disaster.

About his "added" remark, I don't think thats true. Before you pin me for a Bush favorer, I'm just saying I don't think Bush is a rascist.

ILM
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:42 am

phantomk wrote: EDIT: It's nice to see a Canadian up thier on an American Station :)

Dude, Kanye's from Georgia. So he knows all about racism, and he's most definitely not from up in hurrr.

Now I ain't saying she a gold digger...
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:42 am

Freedom of speech? Do you realize how much ten seconds of network primetime television is worth? The network (and thus, their advertisers) paid for that time, and Kanye West had one job: to get his fans to watch by reading the teleprompter.

Furthermore, NBC (the network that aired this, I believe) is a for-profit company, not a government institution. Freedom of speech only applies to government institutions (thus why we can censor language and topics on this board or why protesters cannot protest on private property).

They had every right to censor him, especially when his comments were completely inappropriate in context. The show was meant to be an informative piece aimed at getting people to donate or what have you, and not meant to be political.

Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Heimidal wrote:
Doe Ray Me wrote:btw, why was his comments censored out of the West Coast show? they never heard of freedom of speech, If we are coming to a place in time where people cant speak thier own mind, then i dont know whats going to happen :|

Freedom of speech? Do you realize how much ten seconds of network primetime television is worth? The network (and thus, their advertisers) paid for that time, and Kanye West had one job: to get his fans to watch by reading the teleprompter.

Furthermore, NBC (the network that aired this, I believe) is a for-profit company, not a government institution. Freedom of speech only applies to government institutions (thus why we can censor language and topics on this board or why protesters cannot protest on private property).

They had every right to censor him, especially when his comments were completely inappropriate in context. The show was meant to be an informative piece aimed at getting people to donate or what have you, and not meant to be political.

What a F'd up world

What about the part *They have permission to come down and shoot us*

you can say thats fair, but if its white finding food, they dont say nothing

can you tell me thats not racist?

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:02 pm

I saw those types of comments only in news items. If you can point to an exact, verifiable quote where W said something like that, I'd appreciate it.

I also saw news comments accompanied by wide shots (instead of tight, context-free shots) where people were walking down flooded streets picking up floating food items. These people (regardless of color) were "finding" food. Others broke into intact buildings and "looted" food -- which most everybody seemd to think a forgivable offense, regardless of the color of the person doing that kind of looting.

In other words, maybe we're making a little too much of the media's nomenclature here.

Return to “General Discussion”