Kanye West And His George Bush Comments

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

Doe Ray Me wrote: What a F'd up world

What about the part *They have permission to come down and shoot us*

you can say thats fair, but if its white finding food, they dont say nothing

can you tell me thats not racist?

No, it's not racist, because George W. Bush has not come close to saying anything of the sort. Neither did anyone in FEMA. If they had, the news would be absolutely saturated with the quotes. What was really said was an issue was put out to shoot-to-kill all looters.

I'm a big fan of Kanye West, and the guy's great: he said some awesome things about gay rights a few weeks ago. However, he's basing his statements off of information garnered from reading into statements made by people on the news.
Doe Ray Me
Name: Ethan Shand

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Pretty interesting read here about the *Shoot-to-kill policy*

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... icleId=901
Doe Ray Me

Jay-Z backs Kanye West’s telethon outburst

Post by Doe Ray Me »

LOS ANGELES - Rap mogul Jay-Z is standing behind Kanye West, who went off-script to declare that “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” during his appearance in last Friday’s NBC telethon for Hurricane Katrina victims.

“I’m backing Kanye 100 percent,” Jay-Z told Billboard by phone from London. “This is America. You should be able to say what you want to say. We have freedom of speech.”

Jay-Z is also West’s boss in his capacity as president/CEO of Def Jam Recordings. West’s new album, “Late Registration,” opened at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 Wednesday.

During his Friday appearance, West added that America was set up “to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible.”

Jay-Z said he shared some of West’s views. “It’s really numbing,” he said. “You can’t believe it’s happening in America. You wonder, what’s going on? Why were people so slow to react? I don’t understand it.”

Although Jay-Z said he hasn’t “spoken to anyone about doing a concert event” to benefit Katrina victims, he says he wants to speak with Sean “Diddy” Combs about starting a fund exclusively to help blacks in times of crisis. “Just in case anything like this happens in the future, we can do what the elder Bush and (former President Bill) Clinton are doing for our people specifically.”

Source
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Why are the paranoid ramblings of a rap star considered newsworthy? Yes, the disaster of New Orleans has disproportionately struck black people, and yes, certain people down there have inadvertently revealed a level of racism after the disaster. But that doesn't mean Bush or anyone else consciously decided to let them die because they were black. It means that Bush and everyone else thought "oh well, if anybody is too stupid to evacuate the city, it's their own fault" even though the first thing to shut down was the public transit system, thus stranding everyone without a car.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Darth Wong wrote: Why are the paranoid ramblings of a rap star considered newsworthy?

Maybe because more people respect/trust them than Bush himself

Take eminem for instance, they did a poll and more people said they trust eminem more than Bush
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Doe Ray Me wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Why are the paranoid ramblings of a rap star considered newsworthy?

Take eminem for instance, they did a poll and more people said they trust eminem more than Bush
I certainly wouldn't have voted for eminem ... And where is this poll? Statistics please.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Did'nt belive me?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0718-01.htm

That article says that Americans believe that youths trust Eminem more than Bush. It does not say that "more people respect/trust [rappers] than Bush himself".
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Did'nt belive me?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0718-01.htm
Still don't. ;) Per Darth, your quotation is incorrect.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Pretty interesting read here about the *Shoot-to-kill policy*

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... icleId=901

Erm... though the title calls it "racist", the article barely says anything close to that. In fact, the writer of that article appears racist himself:
... It was not a nice experience watching helpless blacks, the elderly, pregnant women, and children, being winched to safety by helmeted white guys.

Fortunately, a black guy, a volunteer, was filmed using an axe to chop through rooftops to help people escape.

So it isn't enough that humans are shown helping other humans irrespective of their skin color; the author instead states that it was "not a nice experience" watching white people save black people. Is it me, or does that seem quite backward?
The poor had been left to be washed away, then to fend for themselves. Maybe pockets of rich people will be discovered, guarding their possessions, but most likely there will be stories of the poor defending what they had. Those with money, white and black, got out.

This is the most truthful statement in that entire article. People with money got in their expensive sports cars or their private jets and got the hell out of Dodge. People without money were left to fend for themselves.

And thus the problem with the city of New Orleans, the state of Louisiana, and FEMA. None of these government organizations were adequately prepared to handle the transportation of the poor of the city. This is where the flaw lies, and it has nothing to do with anyone's skin color.

Let's see... in polls, Bush currently has a 40% approval rating. If we're going to go with loose facts (like you seem to be doing), that means 40% of more than 285,000,000 people approve of our president. I highly doubt even half that number have any idea who Kanye West is, let alone approve of his music or career path.

I beg you to start basing your arguments on actual facts.
Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Okay then

Fact: how come the reaction was much slower than of 9/11?

Fact: Laura Bush recently said that the people who had lost thier homes/cars/pets/everything are better off now Source

Fact: How come Bush can send thousands of soldiers to iraq but not help evacuate the poor people before the hurricane hit?
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Okay then

Fact: how come the reaction was much slower than of 9/11?

You can fight a terriorist attack, you can't fight mother nature
Doe Ray Me wrote: Fact: Laura Bush recently said that the people who had lost thier homes/cars/pets/everything are better off now Source

Wrong bush. Thats Bushes mom. Shes elderly, and the elderly are stubbon like that. I know my Grandparents are like that. My parents aren't [ President Bushes age ]. - So that dosn't prove anything.

ILM
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Fact: how come the reaction was much slower than of 9/11?

Because 9/11's relief efforts, for one, were on a much narrower scale. People needed shelter, food, and water - plenty of which were easily available what with New York having a convenience store on every block. Additionally, most of 9/11's immediate response was carried out by the citizens of New York, not the National Guard.

A few comparison points:
  • Katrina displaced more than a half million people in New Orleans alone; the WTC attack endangered the lives of barely 1/50 of that.
  • Katrina destroyed tens of thousands of homes. The WTC attack placed a large commercial area in utter devastation and destroyed the homes of few, if any, people.
  • The WTC consisted of two buildings being destroyed. We're talking about entire cities here. It takes a lot more manpower to handle a statewide disaster compared to the area affected on 9/11.
Fact: Laura Bush recently said that the people who had lost thier homes/cars/pets/everything are better off now Source

Did you even read the article you linked? It's about Barbara Bush, not Laura Bush. IIRC, Barbara Bush isn't leading our country, and thus her comments should have about as much weight as, say, Kanye West's.
Fact: How come Bush can send thousands of soldiers to iraq but not help evacuate the poor people before the hurricane hit?

Before the hurricane hit, the evacuation was not mandatory. Blame who you want (even if it is Bush), but by and large, the state and city are more at fault.

Something people don't seem to understand: the city or state didn't even request federal assistance, and they are the ones responsible for the (voluntary) evacuation.
Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00 wrote: The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating...
Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Smartass :lol:
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Doe Ray Me wrote: Smartass :lol:
You asked for a discussion, you got one. Deal with it. If I see one more comment out of you like that, you'll get a warning, are we clear on that?

Return to “General Discussion”