Kanye West And His George Bush Comments

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Riamus

Post by Riamus » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:52 pm

Just a note based off the news today...

After facing what was the most severe national disaster in the US, with hurricane Katrina, states are now taking stronger precautions against even tropical storms. Although that's too late for Katrina victims, at least some states are now mobilizing the National Guard and evacuating people more quickly and for less cause. Ophelia is a tropical depression, and yet one of the Carolinas (I couldn't figure out which one they were referring to) is already mobilizing the National Guard and evacuating people and the storm won't hit until late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.

We've never had such a devastating storm (even previous Category 5 storms haven't wiped out so much and created so much trouble with flooding and such). It's hard to plan for what you haven't seen before. Just as we weren't prepared to defend against 9/11, we weren't prepared for this, either. We've learned from 9/11 and we're learning from Katrina. Yes, it's late for them. I'm not trivializing what they're going through, or the lives lost. The best we can do now, though, is to grow from the disaster... and it looks like we're doing just that.
Kakkoii Translation Team
格好いい 翻訳

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Riamus wrote: They've had decades to work on improving those (long before Bush was president) and haven't done anything about it. In those 40 years or so since the last big one hit there, they obviously haven't done anything to really protect the area. You can't lay that at Bush's feet. Maybe he did cut funding to FEMA, but that didn't stop them from doing something before that happened.

You can't single out Bush for exhibiting the same cavalier disregard for dire warnings from engineers and scientists that politicians always have; the film "Jaws" mocked this particular mental failing of politicians some 30 years ago. As long as we prefer lawyers and salesmen over scientists and engineers for national leaders, this kind of thing will continue happening.

However, you can single him out for basing his entire political campaign for the last 4 years upon "protecting" the people, and then finding out the hard way that apart from attacking Iraq, he really didn't do anything about national security. When a man sells you something based solely on the notion that it keeps you safe, you have a right to get upset when it fails to perform as advertised. And the fact that Haliburton is grabbing up a lot of the Katrina rebuilding contracts from the government is going to leave a sour taste in peoples' mouths too.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Riamus

Post by Riamus » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:48 pm

I won't disagree with you on that. :)

Though, usually that's not what people are blaming him for.
Kakkoii Translation Team
格好いい 翻訳

niksa

Post by niksa » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm not mad that the city wasn't prepared for a category 5 hurriane (although it was entirely predicted from a geologic standpoint - the city is built largely on unconsolidated delta sediments, sand bars, etc and is under sea level... no brainer!) but I am mad that the so-called homeland security department was not prepared to deal with a massive evacuation & emergency care situation. That was one of the main concerns after 9/11 - to make sure that if a major attack happened anywhere, we could respond quickly & adequately within moments. That failed here.

Doe Ray Me

Post by Doe Ray Me » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:40 pm

wow, look this website about FEMA blocking relief efforts, amazing read

http://rense.com/general67/femwont.htm

Riamus

Post by Riamus » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:17 pm

Some of those are just blogs and not official news stories. Others are dead links, or don't say what the titles in your link say that they say. Others may comment on what the title on your link says, but clearly point out that there are reasons... mainly that they want everyone OUT of New Orleans.

It's easier to take care of people once you get them out of the area than to have a bunch of others running all over the place trying to help them to stay where they are. We're also looking at a heavily contaminated area and sending people in there (or allowing them in there) is dangerous. You also don't just allow anyone to go into a quarantined area, either. Sure, it's not quarantined, but they still want everyone out of there.
Kakkoii Translation Team
格好いい 翻訳

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Riamus wrote: Some of those are just blogs and not official news stories. Others are dead links, or don't say what the titles in your link say that they say.

That doesn't automatically make something less credible. I'd say the ratio of crackpots to journalists at publications like those isn't much different from that of the respected blogging community.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:12 pm

I think this has gone on long enough. Doe Ray Me: You have only yourself to blame for this lock and I do not want to see a PM from you. Everybody else: Thank you for remaining civil in this topic.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Return to “General Discussion”